Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ve owned 2 GSPs - gundogs who have been bred to be biddable (OK hollow laugh from all GSP owners but that`s the theory) Neither had any training till I got them aged 4 or 5. Neither knew how to play or scent or walk on a lead.
One responded to training like a sponge - his latent instincts worked with his desire to `do stuff` and he was a joy to work with .
Then there`s Shamus. The instinct is there - he finds and points at pheasants, no problem guv. But any training other than Come or Sit is met with total lack of interest.
The difference between the two was motivation, not breed or background. One was fixated on a ball on a rope and also enjoyed treats. The other isn`t interested in either.
Any research would need to include personality - an almost impossble task, I think.

Absolutely ~ & how any animal's personality is formed comes from that huge mixing bowl of nature/nurture, & has been a subject of much debate for years!

But despite the differences, don't we just luv 'em
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
and like us humans, we're different at different life stages . Energy depletes with age so does motivation - what motivates us as a child/teenager/young adult/middle age/old age changes throughout the cycles. Dogs are much the same.
Yup, I agree with that!

I seem to be feeling very mellow today agreeing with everyone
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
But despite the differences, don't we just luv 'em
because of the differences we luv 'em
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
because of the differences we luv 'em
So true, that's why dogs are like a box of chocolates (to misquote Forest)- lots of yummy ones, some soft and gooey and some with hard centers , but which to choose as you can't have them all
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11