Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Absolutely I have no doubt that had he been pushed into a greeting he would have felt the need to lunge and growl, however he chose to hang back, I didn't push him and he left without feeling he had to defned himself. Definately pleased with that. I love him to be sociable one day, but it's not mandatory, just to get him to a less reactive stage where he choose to remove himself from a situation trather than react would be perfectly adequate.
I agree entirely with what you're saying. It's just I would feel slightly more positive about the scenario you described. Caine choosing to hang back is great. There is no reason why he should feel obliged to meet and greet every dog that he sees. The fact that he neither went straight into lunge nor splat mode and chose hang back shows a degree of maturity and experience on his part. Which is progress. I would reward him muchly for hanging back like that.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 12:56 PM
"Cain" and "maturity"....wow, i think that's the first time I've heard those two words in the same sentances Everyone keeps warning us that GSD don't mature until 2-3 years, so we're in for the long haul! No, i am definately please with a) his hanging back when worried and b) playing nicely with Honey, so definately seeing positives
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
"Cain" and "maturity"....wow, i think that's the first time I've heard those two words in the same sentances Everyone keeps warning us that GSD don't mature until 2-3 years, so we're in for the long haul! No, i am definately please with a) his hanging back when worried and b) playing nicely with Honey, so definately seeing positives
Absolutely! He is learning all the time and being slightly more circumspect will give him the time to assess situations, rather than steaming straight in and learning the hard way that not all dogs are friendly.
sarebear1982
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Will be following this thread for notes as our new 6yr old seems to be fear aggresive.

Sarah
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Just wanted to share, just had a brilliant walk. I took Cain down our local dog park and I took the squeaky ball and the long line in the hope I could give him a bit of freedom and get him running after the ball if the park was empty. Was disappointed to see another dog in the park till I realised it was......his friend Honey (mentioned in above posts). I have now been informed that she is a Victorian bulldog not a staffy x, either way she's just a sweetie.

Luckily I had the long line so I out it on Cain so ge had a full 10m of freedom to play with her, something he's never had before. If I could have known no one else would come in I would have tried him off lead, but you get lots of people and other dogs on that park so I wouldn't risk it.

Anyway I am SO pleased with his behaviour. He greeted her very nicely without splatting her. He then played well, lots of play bowing and chase behaviour. But even more surprising he then gave up after three minutes and chose to potter around and sniff! This was a big break through, he normally is totally hyped and fixated on other dogs (in either a good or bad way) but the fact that he calmed down quickly and just walked with her was brilliant. They had a few more play bouts throughout the walk and only once did I call a time out because he got over excited. Honey kept jumping in his facevand wrapping her paws around his neck and he got hyped and started paw splatting. I pulled him out, not because I thought Honey would mind being splatter, but because I didn't want him to ruin his good behaviour. Honeys owner out her on her lead just so she calmed down and didn't hype Cain up and after a few mins was let off again and they pottered around together.

It might not sound much but as anyone who knows Caib will tell you, him walking nicely and calmly next to another dog is a major break through! I am so happy with him. Admittedly I have been avoiding strange dogs at the moment which I will have to face at some point soon, but even though this was one of Cains friends, it was still a huge behavioural breakthrough. I am sooooo chuffed . He's also very happy and content with his walked and is zonked out at my feet as I type lol!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 05:57 PM
That's brilliant, he is starting to relax and chill out with other dogs. You will have setbacks but they will become fewer and further between. Keep up the good work!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Well done Cain, and well done you It's a bit of a vicious circle but having some confidence in Cain will reflect in his behaviour so well done for trusting him with Honey
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I have had a lot of success with fear aggression by teaching incompatible behaviours.

The behaviours depend on the problem but for dog aggresison I would tecah a heel/recall command and use that to stop the dog aggressing, while exposing him to other dogs. This then gives you something to reward.
Initially you can do it on lead but progress to off lead rapidly as the dog learns a better way of dealing with the threat. Once off lead the dog will learn to socilise better as you remove barrier frustration from the situation.

With aggression at the door I would teach a place/bed command and use this to keep the dog back and still, you then reward the dog as people come inside.

Adam
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9