Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I think the OP has been beaten up for not living up to unrealistic demands based on speculation.
Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 12:06 PM
I think the OP has been beaten up for not living up to unrealistic demands based on speculation.
"unrealistic demands"

"speculation"

Would you care to enlighten us on what those unrealistic demands and speculation are?????

The only unrealistic demands are being made on a puppy, just away from its litter and being expected to keep itself amused for hours on end imo

As for speculation, you've got me there Can't imagine what you mean.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't think it's unrealistic to expect someone not to leave an 8 week old puppy on it's own for several hours a day.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Get real! Speculation? What do you have other than your feelings to say an 8 week old isn't OK half a day by itself?

Since 1991 we have raised 19 puppies for service dog schools mostly bring them home at 7 weeks. Our schedules have at times meant leaving the puppy half a day starting the next morning. The dog guide school is sending 300-400 puppies a year home to people that have to work for a living. While in some cases, we can take the puppy along to work, not always. Proper socialization and bonding with people are absolutely necessary. That is part of the reason for sending the puppies to their home at 7 weeks. Real rubbish is suggesting otherwise.

Perhaps you know more than the schools with experience with thousands of puppies.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Half a day is a bit different from a whole day
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
Poor OP.

Yes opinions have been given and it does appear that some have 'had a go' at the OP. She may not have asked for solutions but surely common sense should have prevailed and we should have offered sensible solutions to help her. We all treat our dogs differently and what some might find acceptable others may not.

During the day, maybe, as other's have suggested, get a neighbour, family member or a friend to look in on your pup while you are out.

During the night let your pup sleep next to your bed with a blanket and maybe a favourite toy. He may whine and when my pup did this all I had to do was put my hand on his head, say shhhh and he'd go quiet. If he wanted out he would lick my hand.

He is turning out to be a very well adjusted, happy, friendly pup who I love to death.
Totally disagree, I work with animals and frankly if you want to have pets spend time with them , they are NOT accessories, they are feeling creatures that suffer emotionally as well as physically.

Cyber pets dont end up in rescue REAL ones do !!!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Get real! Speculation? What do you have other than your feelings to say an 8 week old isn't OK half a day by itself?

Since 1991 we have raised 19 puppies for service dog schools mostly bring them home at 7 weeks. Our schedules have at times meant leaving the puppy half a day starting the next morning. The dog guide school is sending 300-400 puppies a year home to people that have to work for a living. While in some cases, we can take the puppy along to work, not always. Proper socialization and bonding with people are absolutely necessary. That is part of the reason for sending the puppies to their home at 7 weeks. Real rubbish is suggesting otherwise.

Perhaps you know more than the schools with experience with thousands of puppies.
Why do you get so indignant when other people have different opinions? Guide dog organisations have had problems and training issues.
I respectfully maintain that people with real knowledge and experience with toy breeds may possibly have a better idea of the proper development and needs of their breed than me or you.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 04:14 PM
You have to also bear in mind that some dogs are more comfortable with their own company then others. Yorkies are really people oriented dogs, as are Chihuahuas. They are bred solely as people companions. If my Yorkie could get herself surgically attached to my hip, she would. My Lab on the other hand is not a lap dog and is happy to take himself off into another room to sleep. The Lab could care less about having company all the time; the Yorkie thinks different. She would NOT be happy being left for long periods each day.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 04:28 PM

She knows about Chihuahuas because she breeds them. Do you know lots about chihuahuas Labman?

Also, just because an organisation does something doesn't mean it is ethically right.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Labman

Perhaps you know more than the schools with experience with thousands of puppies

Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
She knows about Chihuahuas because she breeds them. Do you know lots about chihuahuas Labman?

Also, just because an organisation does something doesn't mean it is ethically right.

Exactly, doesn`t make it right , just because it is the way your organization works.

And as we are talking about toy breeds, I would rather listen to those who know them, and their needs!
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >