Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, it's the well known Milgram Effect unfortunately...

Wys
x
That might be why I never get on with people in authority because I always ask why lol!
Becky
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
That might be why I never get on with people in authority because I always ask why lol!
Becky
You make me laugh
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Thomas doesn't have the owner or trainer he deserves.
I agree about the trainer, but the owner not deservign the dog, somethings life is not as simple as that..

Could be first time dog owner, one who believes the trainer must know best.

He could have been in shock,or just incapable of speaking up.

Now if "after" the owner is educated to this being the "wrong way " to train any dog.. continues to allow such treatment.. then maybe you have a case.

After all we go to such people to help us train.... and sadly to many owners take all the trainer says and does as gospel

You only have to see how some owners "respect" CM to see that.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Laura, I'm afraid I would have had to speak to the trainer at the end of his class, something on the lines of 'Do you mind of I ask if you belong to any recognised training organisation if so which one , what you did to that dog is the sort of thing good trainers just don't do' !

These are methods which must not be used by APDT trainers...
I would certainly report this trainer to any organisation to which he belongs and to the person in charge of organising the classes .

Be a good idea to print those off and take along next time to show the school, (if they are apdt) registered that they are not following the rules
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I think it's truely terrifying the number of trainers that are perpetuating the "D" theory.

I know the club we went to last year used a lot of the things listed that the APDT don't use, but as an owner who had never done any training before I followed their methods. When trainers speak so convincingly and confidently it doesn't always cross your mind to question the methods, especially when you have no idea what the alternatives are, or indeed that there are any alternatives.

I'm just so relieved I know better now and would never let any trainer near my dog who even whispered the D word.

What did the other trainer do when they saw this guy alpha rolling Thomas (which I have to add is a fab name)?

I'd definitely be finding out what organisation the club belong to and complaining.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Quote....I was sitting next to the trainer who takes the puppy class at this time and pointed out to her that that was one of the reasons I skipped the intermediate class.

Been thinking Laura, maybe you should have a word with that trainer, I am sure you could do it tactfully, with your Police experience Perhaps Thomas's owner would appreciate that xx
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Too true.....I always give a little speech at the beginning of my courses telling them all if they are worried about ANY of the methods I use or the exercises we do to TELL me....so far no-one has...although they do question why we do the exercises which is nice.

Maybe have a word with Thomas' owner...
Thats great practrice.
Brill.

We always tell them them that this is THEIR course and that they must get out of it anythign that they want to and nothing they dont want to.

At the intro night, a dog free night, it is made very clear, that if they dont hear us, understand us, they dislike us, have tried it before and it doesnt work, dont like the methds, dont wnat to take part in any particular excercise, or are unhappy in any way, then they we would love them to speka up. We also have feedback forms at the ened of every course for every attendee so that we can monitor theeir thoughts and feelings and our effect.

We also have a money back satisfaction guarantee on ALL our courses, training events and talks.

There is only one person who runs a successfull business and that is the customer. And in the dog of course. And that is something that many dig trainers fail to realise. It seems liek this person, has gotten a bit up their own pedestooled backside. It happens and its sucha shame when it affects owners and dogs so badly.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree about the trainer, but the owner not deservign the dog, somethings life is not as simple as that..

Could be first time dog owner, one who believes the trainer must know best.

He could have been in shock,or just incapable of speaking up.

Now if "after" the owner is educated to this being the "wrong way " to train any dog.. continues to allow such treatment.. then maybe you have a case.

After all we go to such people to help us train.... and sadly to many owners take all the trainer says and does as gospel

You only have to see how some owners "respect" CM to see that.

Be a good idea to print those off and take along next time to show the school, (if they are apdt) registered that they are not following the rules
Totally agree with everything Jackbox has said
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Quote....I was sitting next to the trainer who takes the puppy class at this time and pointed out to her that that was one of the reasons I skipped the intermediate class.

Been thinking Laura, maybe you should have a word with that trainer, I am sure you could do it tactfully, with your Police experience Perhaps Thomas's owner would appreciate that xx
That's a good idea The trainer just might take notice of you....I didn't know you were in the police Laura!! Get your police hat on and have a word.

Elaine
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
I was sitting next to the trainer who takes the puppy class at this time and pointed out to her that that was one of the reasons I skipped the intermediate class.
What did the trainer of the puppy class say? If they agreed with this method I wouldn't be taking my dog to any of there classes. Maybe you could ask the trainer in your advanced class there views on this method too.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
What did the trainer of the puppy class say? If they agreed with this method I wouldn't be taking my dog to any of there classes. Maybe you could ask the trainer in your advanced class there views on this method too.
I agree,by the way if you skipped intermediate classes.....did you know this trainer used these methods then
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »