View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 12:12 PM
so all the dogs you have trained are in some way not performing the training properly?
hence the need to remind them?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The aim of training is to get your dog to respond to a given command under any circumstance. After all what if you forget your collar, dummy or otherwise, will your dog still behave in the way you want?
Becky
yes he will

in fact the use of a dummy is to avoid the dog associating the e-collar with a negative thing

the e-collar stands for a training session
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
so all the dogs you have trained are in some way not performing the training properly?
hence the need to remind them?
Sometimes yes a dog will not perform like he is supposed to

and if i say that the last time i used it on a dog was last Friday average 4 dogs wearing it for them 6 hours training a day that makes a total of 19 training with one correction and if i'm correct at the end of this week another dog will need to be corrected.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Sometimes yes a dog will not perform like he is supposed to

and if i say that the last time i used it on a dog was last Friday average 4 dogs wearing it for them 6 hours training a day that makes a total of 19 training with one correction and if i'm correct at the end of this week another dog will need to be corrected.
can I ask what are the most common problems you need to use the e-collar for?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-06-2009, 01:02 PM
stopped attack and the out in biting
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
4 possibilities

a: their standards are lower
b: they use other methods far worse
c: they pts the dogs they can't train
d: they go to a private trainingfield and use an e-collar there

Greetings

Johan
1. I am not sure many of the best police dog instructors/handlers we have here in the UK would agree that their standards are lower than those who merely train a dog to do a hobby or sport! These handlers (and the general public) rely on these dogs every day to perform all kinds of difficult and dangerous tasks, whereas the sport dog only has to notch up points on a scoreboard.

2. What other methods are you suggesting might be used?

3. Not true. The dogs that don't pass assessment are either rehomed or go back to their original home.

4. Perhaps some do, or perhaps they don't. There is no evidence of this happening, so it only hearsay.

I am talking about the UK here and you may be talking about what happens in Belgium, so we could be on completely different wavelengths.

By the way, I am not anti e-collar, but only think it should be used as a last resort - and training for a hobby or sport doesn't come into that category for me.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Johan, we have working trials here where dogs have to recall away from a "criminal" at the last minute, and other similar things. I can't speak for everyone but I know many if not all, do not rely on ecollars. Also this lady here does Schutzhund very successfully with working bred Mali and does not need an ecollar for teaching her dogs:

http://www.joannahill.co.uk/

Her dogs and those of her clients are all trained reward based.

It can be done

Wys
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Johan, we have working trials here where dogs have to recall away from a "criminal" at the last minute, and other similar things. I can't speak for everyone but I know many if not all, do not rely on ecollars. Also this lady here does Schutzhund very successfully with working bred Mali and does not need an ecollar for teaching her dogs:

It can be done

Wys
x
DITO, I have vid on here of royce calling off first time from distance when on the sleeve, never had any problems with it, but I did make sure my obed was spot on before training bite work
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I did make sure my obed was spot on before I trained him to bite though.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

It can be done

Wys
x
IPO is quit different than Ringsport

I have decoyed for the 2

An ipo dog doesn't need to be as strong as a ringdog
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »