Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 02:50 AM

The fallout of "Dominance" lie

http://caninecampus.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=135155

While looking for any paper on the subject discussed above, I came across this article - maybe because I used the "shock collar" in the search parameters. It points to the danger of the dominance approach. Cesar Millan, and in Canada Brad Pattison, promote a contentious relationships between humans and animals. Relationships based on force, pain and threats. They see dogs as competitor and rivals who need to be broken and forced to submit.

Ami Moore, a Millanophile, is a perfect example of this approach. She's changed her website, but in a previous versiou she blamed "Loser-tude" for a dog's behavior problems and the could only be cured with "Alpha-tude" Her version of alpha is described in the article below.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/feature...s/dogtraining/
The whole article is pretty long. But these passages paint a picture of dominance in action.
“She was zapping it every few seconds. It kept kicking at the collar with its hind legs, making that noise over and over again.”
“The Bichon was literally lifted into the air, that’s how strong the shock was,” Opresnik says. “I’d never seen someone strap a collar around a dog’s genitals before, and when I confronted her, she said something like, ‘I’m just making sure this Bichon will never run into the street and get hit by a car. A live Bichon is better than a dead Bichon.’ . . . It was so disturbing. I still can’t get that sound out of my head.”
"I met Brad Pattison last week, what I witnessed was brutal. He took the leash of a Mastiff who was standing nicely, minding his own business and wagging his tail. Brad snapped the leash harshly causing the dog to drop to the ground and cower on its belly. That wasn't enough for Brad, he snapped the leash a second time for good measure. Then, with the dog well cowed, he tied the leash around his waist and proceeded to run up and down a stairway as fast as he could, dragging this poor dog behind him. The dog yelped a couple times. A dog that was happy and relaxed a few moments ago was now tucking its tail and notably upset. When another dog jumped up on him he smacked it on top of the head with the palm of his hand.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2009, 03:06 AM
If we discarded every thing that some misuse, we would have nothing left. Should we abandon treats in training because some can't get it right?
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Strapped a shock collar to it's genitals???? OMG!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:34 AM
some shocking acts there! i cant believe someone would electricute genitals, why?!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Animals, women, children, men, people with disabilities, elders etc etc are all subject to abuse by people for a variety of reasons (usually psychopathic IMO). Exposure of these abuses are vital in order to stop them so thanks for passing this on - though it makes uncomfortable reading.
The law regarding child abuse and domestic abuse has been strengthened as society has progressed beyond the `a good beating never hurt me!` mindset but while the laws on animal welfare look adequate, they are poorly reinforced.
Until (in the UK) the onus to prosecute is taken out of the hands of a NGO financed by donations I can`t see things changing here.
So how does it work in the US?
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:59 AM
I think the D theory gives some people the excuse the act sadistically.......zapping genitals is toture, plain and simple.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi,

I read through the whole article.

Personally I don't asgree with the use of either spray or electric collars but I do believe they can be used positively if there is a case where a dog is at risk of being PTS because of certain issues (not aggression).

However, there's no need to actuially abuse dogs with any equipment used and the collars used by Ami Moore could have been turned down so as not to inflict pain. To use such equipment to abuse dogs by attaching uit to their genitals is torture and although she probably got a short term in prison and/or a big fine, to me, natural justice dictates that she should have the same done to her!

I use positive methods with my dogs and God knows it takes ages for them to learn everything. but they are happier for it and I know they trust me. They know I trust them and they want to learn, want to please myself and my Son and enjoy training. I've never hurt any animal so I don't beleive the use of the e-collar in this way is appropriate.

I don't beleive in dominance but I do belive in a pack structure. In my house, myself and my Son are the bosses/leaders. By that I mean we control when it's time for a walk, playtime, tiem to eat, time to have treats etc. My dogs themselves sort themselves out with regard to the other dogs I have. Zane will exert his authority upon Yiannis who is constantly pushing the boundaries and gets a swipe from Zane every now and then between being hed down by the neck after voluntarily submitting to Zane and rolling over.No force is ever used between them. it's all very amicable.
Then I have Ellie who is the "boss" of the other 2 dogs and one look from her can stop both of the in their tracks. They do have to be really naughty for her to do that though.

I beleive there are some dogs (as weith people) who are more dominant than others but not in the way that's portrayed on TV or in the media. I think it depends on the character of the dog and how it's been trained.

I've come a long way with Yiannis (perfect recall, perfect retrieve, almost perfect heel work etc) but he's still a gobby littel git on a good day. It's just gonna take time and effort.

I don't accept there is such a thing as a quick fixc with dogs. On occasions it be seen that there is. But I think in these cases thigns will backfire and the owners of such a dog will end up back to square one with a whole shed load of other problems too.

Laura xx
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
If we discarded every thing that some misuse, we would have nothing left. Should we abandon treats in training because some can't get it right?
I don't think we need to discard e-collars. I myself help a friend in Arizona use them to train his dog. This however was a life/death situation because this dog liked to go after a few of the venomous snakes in the area. I'm not against them, but I've never had to use it in any other situation.

However as the canine campus podcast on the work of Esther Schalke explains, they are not as benign as we thought. BTW the increase cortisol has also other implications as there have been studies that show elevated levels of cortisol is associated with impaired learning potential as well are reduced memory performance.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
What this Ami Moore woman has done, if the reports are accurate, is disgusting and sadistic. It is not training it is torture. I am speechless that someone would use more than one e collar on a dog and zap it continuously causing it to repeatedly cry out in pain and loose bodily functions.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 02:11 PM
that is just sick
but to my mind any use of fear or pain is torture
personally i see little difference to strapping it on the genetals to strapping it on the neck

there is always an alternative

and anyone who dosent think they are cruel is welcome to come round here wearing one
i will make up some rules for you to follow but not tell you and give you a little shock each time you break the rules
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »