Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I would say that if in your heart of hearts you feel you dont have that bond then re-home her as they pick up on these things.
Rescues arent bad things most have foster homes for certain breeds.
I agree that rescues aren't bad, however the breeders of Talassie's girl would be more than willing to take her back and rehome her if Talassie didn't already have a friend willing to have Tala.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 02:54 PM
I had a similar problem with Dale. I spent every walk trying to make myself the most exciting person in the world. We trained , played ball , did search games, used tons of treats made a huge fuss every time he came and let me touch his collar. None of it worked But at training classes he had perfect recall and when he went out with the trainer he came back every time

I eventually sorted it all out when I stopped using treats completely. He had a couple of weeks on lead and I was very strict around the house, making sure he did everything he was told and making a growling noise if he didn't. I made sure I did all the pack order stuff like going through doors first etc., although I'd been doing these things for months already.I even used a line in the garden so he had to come in when he was called.
Then we went out armed with water bombs. I know it sounds insane but ...
I went through this routine. Bent right down and called in a happy voice. If he didn't come stood up as tall as possible and growled and then immediately bent down and used the happy voice to call him. If he didn't come I stood up called and threw a water bomb. I wasn't trying to hit him with it, more to surprise him and emphasise that I meant business. Then bent down and called again....
I have no idea why it worked but it did. I only used a couple of water bombs. Thank goodness. They're not easy things to carry and I did feel an idiot.

I've no idea if any of this would work for you but its something else to think about.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree that rescues aren't bad, however the breeders of Talassie's girl would be more than willing to take her back and rehome her if Talassie didn't already have a friend willing to have Tala.
Thats good news
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
That's exactly how she is but unfortunately haven't yet found a magic food!
His was tinned pilchards.............eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I would say that if in your heart of hearts you feel you dont have that bond then re-home her as they pick up on these things.
Rescues arent bad things most have foster homes for certain breeds.
As I said I would never consider putting her in a rescue. I take total responsibility for my dog's welfare. My thought was that as she was offered a good home with other dogs that she might have a better life there.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I eventually sorted it all out when I stopped using treats completely. He had a couple of weeks on lead and I was very strict around the house, making sure he did everything he was told and making a growling noise if he didn't. I made sure I did all the pack order stuff like going through doors first etc., although I'd been doing these things for months already.I even used a line in the garden so he had to come in when he was called.
Then we went out armed with water bombs. I know it sounds insane but ...
I went through this routine. Bent right down and called in a happy voice. If he didn't come stood up as tall as possible and growled and then immediately bent down and used the happy voice to call him. If he didn't come I stood up called and threw a water bomb. I wasn't trying to hit him with it, more to surprise him and emphasise that I meant business. Then bent down and called again....
I have no idea why it worked but it did. I only used a couple of water bombs. Thank goodness. They're not easy things to carry and I did feel an idiot.

I've no idea if any of this would work for you but its something else to think about.
I worked for a short while with a trainer who recommended throwing a check chain near (not at) the dog. This worked for all of three days!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I worked for a short while with a trainer who recommended throwing a check chain near (not at) the dog. This worked for all of three days!
I also know someone (who has a Shepherd) who is having recall problems..

She is seeing a trainer who has recommend an e.collar which she is using and thinks its wonderful because now her dog comes back to her.

Have to avoid her as I cant keep my council for much longer
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I am really really sad writing this and I hesitate to post it because I fully expect to be shot down in flames for even thinking about not keeping my dog.
I have struggled with Tala's recall for the past year. I have spoken to many many people and I feel I have tried everything to no avail. She will not come back if she sees other dogs playing and she even walks off with the other dog and owner. She has been on a flexi or a long line for months but this has no effect on her when she is off lead.
She is not interested in playing with me when out and about. I might as well not exist. I have tried so hard to motivate her and in the house she will play but outside everything is more interesting and if there is another dog then I don't stand a chance. I have seen her work well with other trainers so I doubt if it is just being a teenager.
I have used mainly reward training. But looking at it from her point of view she gets rewarded far more for not coming back because she gets to carry on playing with dogs.
I have been told that she is disobedient because she doesn't respect me and have put pack theory into place in the house but this has not made any difference to her behaviour outside.
I know there are many people who work with much more difficult dogs. But I have been unable to enjoy my time with Tala because I cannot do the things I used to do with my dogs. I like to go walking but I am limited as to where we go because she can only be allowed off the lead with dogs we know have a good recall. Even then I have to ask one of the other walkers to get hold of her for me. I have really lost all my confidence in my training ability.
We recently spent time with a friend who breeds shepherds. Tala loved being on a farm and running with the other dogs. She has been offered a home with this person and I am wondering if this might be the right thing to do. I ask myself what sort of a future she has with me not being able to run free like that.
I would NEVER EVER put her into a rescue but I am having to consider whether she would be happier on the farm with the other dogs.
I really really don't know what to do for the best.
Hiya, I haven't read the other posts so apologise if I am repeating anything (I usually read all posts in a thread before repluing but am a tad rushed these days).

Is the issue that you feel you haven't bonded in spite of trying? do you feel she'd be happier with someone else?

You say you've implemented pack theory - sometimes if done a bit OTT this can actually diminish the bond between owner and dog, this aspect may be worth looking at. This can happen especially if dogs are not allowed to initiate attention and contact which some stricter programmes tend to lean towards. Personally I never follow it nor suggest it to clients

Not sure how old she is etc but I'd invest in a really good one to one trainer or even a reputable behaviourist to spend some time with you and see if you can do anything about the problems

It is certainly disheartening when you feel a dog won't recall and prefers to play with other dogs etc and when you've really worked hard to improve matters with no result. However itmay be that you are making some basic errrors which are causing the problem to emerge.

One thing many peeps do is to not really allow play or call back the dogs straight away. They as you rightly say are rewarded for being with the other dogs. What I always recommend is to allow play if there is no chance at getting the dog back and then when the dog is tired, that is when you then call your dog, who is usually glad to come back for a tasty reward or toy. You have to find out what motivates the dog, that's really important! It's not always what we think it might be, for some dogs it's something daft like Cheerios for example! Most dogs it's more likely to be roast chicken or liver.

Over time, the dog can if necessary be recalled earlier and this is just the tip of the training iceberg, but if attempts are made to recall when the dog is not listening, it is doubtful any dog would come back There are many other tips as well!

This article may help

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...come-back.html

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...very-time.html

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...tionships.html

or for trainers/behaviourist try:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/

http://www.apbc.org.uk/

Wys
x
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2009, 03:29 PM
When you call her to you does it signal the end of her fun, ie do you put her lead on and go home? If so could you try calling her, giving a treat and then saying 'go play'. Do this several times before it's time to go home. Then the dog knows that coming to you isn't necessarily the end of their fun.

Also apparently if you lie down on the floor most dogs will come over and see why!! I've never tried this myself but heard it works!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I am not sure whether you saw my earlier post or not Talassie, but have you contacted the breeders about the problems you are having?
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »