View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 02:05 PM
The weather is warm and sticky at the moment and you and your dog had just finished a walk that would have warmed her up further. I shouldn't worry too much about it at all. It seems to me that the little girl needs to be taught to ask if she can stroke a dog each time rather than running straight in and fussing them. Even the most placid of dogs can be a bit grumpy when they are hot and tired.

Heidi
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
dont worry, like has been said, the heat can certainly aggitate the doglets!! My Collie can act odd in the heat, its there way of saying they have had enough!! Im sure she probably fet bad about snapping after she had done it..!!! Take care xxxx
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
i agree with the others - hot n bothered

mine become grouchy when its this hot n we just tend to leeave them alone ..
angel 02
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2008, 09:17 PM
thank you to everyone who has replied it has made me feel alot better and i will be more carfull in future as to who i let touch her esspecialy when she is hot and bothered xxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 09:29 PM
when you say she snapped,,do you mean she snapped but not with any real intent to conect with the child,,,{though if she had wanted to conect would she have been able to ?} I think if she had been able to conect,,but didnt, then its a warning. I would very upset if it were me,, you must have been so shocked,,, what age are your kids,,, Do you think poss she saw the dummy as a toy and snapped thinking the child was going to take it? just a thought..
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 09:54 PM
When you say snapped, could you describe it?

I would say if she is fine with your own then she was probably just hot and tired, I trust Maddy 99.9% with my own son, but with a strangers child that would be about 50/50, and if she was irritable on top of that I just wouldn't let an adult near her let alone a child. So my guesses would be on the heat, being tired after the walk, wanting to get home and chill, the child being a stranger, and really a combination of events. If it were me, I wouldn't worry with my own children.

Maddy has snapped at a wee cousin of mine when she tried to take her chew stick (don't get me started, it's a long story and her dad is a prize t*t), but her temp around my own son is exactly the same as ever, (he could practically take sausages from her mouth if I let him and she wouldn't so much as look at him in a bad way).
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I would say tired and it has been very hot today. ours have not behaved very well today.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I agree with everyone.

Even I get narky in the heat and often don't want to be pestered, so it's no different for dogs except they can't tell people to bugg** off

I enforce this with my kids too, regarding our own dogs and other people's dogs too
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Whilst I agree with the others that have posted that there is certainly a clear reason behind the incident, the heat etc, I would still be concerned if a dog of mine did that, regardless of heat etc, I don't think you should be overly concerned, but I do think it is worth being extra vigilant with your dog and watching it carefully when out and about.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Whilst I agree with the others that have posted that there is certainly a clear reason behind the incident, the heat etc, I would still be concerned if a dog of mine did that, regardless of heat etc, I don't think you should be overly concerned, but I do think it is worth being extra vigilant with your dog and watching it carefully when out and about.
I defo agree with this, mabey its the breed I own but I would be very concerned if one of my lot snapped at a child when the child went to pet it,,, I would be very worried if one of my lot snapped even if the child was putting them under pressure,,But I have rotties So I must expect them to take whatever is being dished up by a child,,the other option open to them is squeal for mum to see it or run,
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >