Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
angelmist, do they do this if you go out during the day too?

how long are they left for, and when did this start?

Yes this happens if I go out in the day too. If I go anwhere where I know I am going to be a while they come with me, I'm always takin them into town with me they love all the attention they get. I never leave them long, in fact I only really leave them to do my weekly shop which usualy takes about an hour tops.

We had a puppy pen for Misty when we first got her and that was fine, it was once she grew to big and could jump out that the problem started. At first she would do it when I was around and I would give her a stern no and move her away from what she was chewing, but she soon latched on and stopped and I thought brill shes learning its wrong isn't she quick to pick things up!! As it turns out she just decided to do it when I wasn't around instead so she wouldn't get told off. She never even trys to attempt chewing anything if i'm about.

Got to give her credit shes pretty clever!!!!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Might be separation anxiety.... do a search on this site for those 2 words and you will come up with a lot of information.

Do they do anything else while you are away, like poo/pee inside or bark and howl?

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't NIs quite hard to leave alone?
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Yes they are known to be difficult to leave suffering with that (seperation anxiety) and therefore becoming quite destructive, but as I only leave them for short periods I figured they would be ok, Angel has always been fine with being left its just Misty who isn't, however she craves much more attention when i'm here than what he does could that be an indication?

I'm not sure if they bark or howl as i'm not here, they don't at night. Yes she will sometimes have an accident (wee) but I just put it down to being young and not having very good bladder control yet. As she always lets me know she needs to go when i'm here, so I put it down to not being able to hold it in.

I'll do that search and see what I come up with. Thanks, I will let you know of my findings.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Kate - that is the very reason I won't sell someone a pup if they already have one thats still so young. They are just being normal N.Inuits unfortunately and they do lead each other astray.

Mine were just the same and I lost a sofa to two N.I. 'playing' while I was out - and the only answer is to shut them somewhere where damage is limited. I had to tile the conservatory and lobby and they are now behind a dog gate and blockade when I go out (sorry, but they do come to bed with me and that solved that one).

Even now most of mine are grown up (well, as grown up as N.I. ever get!) if I accidentally leave something around within their reach (and they are very resourceful) then they will shred it. The anti chew stuff doesnt work as they like the taste. Mine chewed a hole in my bathroom door - and to try to make it look as if it was the shelties that did it they actually chewed it the size and shape of a sheltie!!! Now I have an aluminium plate screwed to the door so they cant do it.

The only way to prevent them doing damage when left on their own is to limit their access to soft furnishings etc. and if you are open plan then the only answer is a dog crate. You can either teach them to be in separate crates, or get one huge one like an indoor kennel and put them both in together.

Peace of mind all round.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I know Sandra and I don't blame them for it, I love them too much to be angry with them not too mention they are just too cute and they make up for it with all the love they give. We have actually just got out a loan to get kennelling done next year once the whether gets better. I was just hoping to improve the problem if not solve it until this time. A few people have suggested crate traing which I am looking into. Angel is a good boy when left alone its just Misty she can't help herself! But how can you be mad when they give you the It wasn't me look with it hanging out of their mouths!!

As for soft funashings they prefer walls!!! Anything soft is safe. My partner dog sat for his brother once and he left it alone in the front room, when he came back it was inside the sofa. Not a very good dog sitter eh!!

I'm sure it will get sorted, like I say they are only really left at night so am looking into crate trainig as that seems like its going to be the best option, I dont go to bed till 2/3 am anyway so they wouldn't have to be in one for long periods of time.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
Kate - They are just being normal N.Inuits unfortunately and they do lead each other astray
I know! If I could go back knowing what I know now I would still chose to have Misty, your probably thinking I'm mad but despite all the damage, she has done Angel the world of good and he has done the same for her, which to me is whats more important. I think perhaps I would have just made sure I was a little more prepared.

These dogs have changed my life for the better and I love them dearly and now I wouldn't be without them.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Oh I know just what you mean. Since having N.I. my life has completely changed - and so have my priorities and lifestyle. Wouldnt have it any other way!
Sar
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:49 PM
I had the same problem with Elsa, she enjoyed pulling up carpets and chewing them when she was left alone, and also chewed a nice sized hole in our sofa- luckly our stuff was all old! We ended up crete traning her as we were concerned that she might have hurt herself. We intoduced it gradully to her and she goes in happily now.
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi Kate,
My 2 dogs are 3.5 months apart. Apart from the baby chewing, They hate being left alone. Yes me as well whe in bed, Shanook jumped the baby gate and ate the wallpaper also duvets and blankets. They do grow out of them. I think crate training would be beneficial as you dont know which one it is. ine arenearlt 2 now and dont chew as one sleeps upstairs and one downstairs. It is only if anything is left in the Kennel (when i go out) that they chew. Kongs are good distractors. Kate , they will grow out of it . have you thought about keeping them in the bedroom as you can keep an eye on them at night and wont be so much anxiety separation for them
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 06:39 AM
I do hope you can sort this out. I had a similar problem with my 2 labs who were suffering from SA - they were still being destructive at the age of 5 and my only recourse, for their sake, was to rehome them. It broke my heart
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >