Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Well done Sue ~ you recognise the causes & know what has happened over the last 3 years that has made it get worse. Don't beat yourself up for allowing this situation to occur ~ it could happen to any of us. The important part is how you can now deal with it.

With the reaction to the setter ~ you knew the answer ~ avoid, avoid, avoid!!! Once your dog's response has started you are too late. Far better to avoid these confrontations & work on a thorough counter-conditioning programme where you can control the triggers & prevent the big emotional reaction whilst instilling a calm & relaxed state.
Thankyou so much for your words of support and encoragement you dont realise how valuable that is, yes i am always saying "if only" but know i have to move forward and not dwell on whats gone so have got this far with alfie through reading this sight, buying the reccommended books and gadgets and being patient, my aim at the moment is to get him to be able to PASS another dog with out all the stress and one day he may be able to meet and greet another dog, you never know, but not prepared to push that one, its one step and one day at a time for us.

suex
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by borderladysue View Post
Thankyou so much for your words of support and encoragement you dont realise how valuable that is, yes i am always saying "if only" but know i have to move forward and not dwell on whats gone so have got this far with alfie through reading this sight, buying the reccommended books and gadgets and being patient, my aim at the moment is to get him to be able to PASS another dog with out all the stress and one day he may be able to meet and greet another dog, you never know, but not prepared to push that one, its one step and one day at a time for us.

suex
That's exactly right ~ set yourself small achievable goals & succeed. That's what gives you the incentive to keep going, just seeing those small improvements ~ then one day you can look back & see just how far you've come.

Best of luck
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
That's exactly right ~ set yourself small achievable goals & succeed. That's what gives you the incentive to keep going, just seeing those small improvements ~ then one day you can look back & see just how far you've come.

Best of luck
Unlike the OP I cannot let alfie greet other dogs it is too stressfull for him and potentially a danger for the other dog (we have tried with very bad outcome) but i wanted him to have the freedom to run offlead at least once a day so, was given permission to use the lanes and tracks around a farm (middle of no where) he has very high prey drive but, using a long line am working on his recall and manage to do half the walk off lead. he has no desire to leave my side even when i throw objects for him and even if he gets 5 yards ahead he will stop and wait for me (without my requestig it) he also walks a dream on lead. so looking at to now, yes i can see we have come along way and i have to remember not to let the setbacks leave a negative feeling for the rest of the day. Oh well upwards and onwards.

suex
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Unlike the OP I cannot let alfie greet other dogs it is too stressfull for him and potentially a danger for the other dog (we have tried with very bad outcome) but i wanted him to have the freedom to run offlead at least once a day so, was given permission to use the lanes and tracks around a farm (middle of no where) he has very high prey drive but, using a long line am working on his recall and manage to do half the walk off lead. he has no desire to leave my side even when i throw objects for him and even if he gets 5 yards ahead he will stop and wait for me (without my requestig it) he also walks a dream on lead. so looking at to now, yes i can see we have come along way and i have to remember not to let the setbacks leave a negative feeling for the rest of the day. Oh well upwards and onwards.

suex
That's brilliant ~ your goal was to let Alfie have some off lead time where he wouldn't encounter other dogs & that's exactly what you've achieved
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
thanks for all your replyies and suggestions and im glad im not the only one in this position. have started taking her just on her own out on the lead only usually where i now there arnt any dogs but cant be 100 pc never see dogs doing small things like sitting at ther kerb making her look at me giving her a treat and have tried to start clicker trianing at home. yes she is very excitited and cant seem to come down quick from this have put her in a cage when going in the car now but she still cries with excitment but at least she is safe.
will do what you suggest and hopefully she will get it does seem to be a bt thing as met 2 this morning who were actually worse than mine!!
thabks again
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
thanks for all your replyies and suggestions and im glad im not the only one in this position. have started taking her just on her own out on the lead only usually where i now there arnt any dogs but cant be 100 pc never see dogs doing small things like sitting at ther kerb making her look at me giving her a treat and have tried to start clicker trianing at home. yes she is very excitited and cant seem to come down quick from this have put her in a cage when going in the car now but she still cries with excitment but at least she is safe.
will do what you suggest and hopefully she will get it does seem to be a bt thing as met 2 this morning who were actually worse than mine!!
thabks again
Hi angied, i have just had the behaviorist round and she said i was deffo doing the right things and just needed to tweek some of what i was doing. she also said to NOT expose him to any dogs at the moment if i can help it as he needs to try and keep in a clam state (not stressed) she also suggested vitamin b6 to help promote the seratonin in the brain (she explained it so much better) so am going to give it a go! and to keep a diary which i thought was a great idea, (my grey cells are not the best at my age for remembering) all in all she was very impressive asked loads of questions. so if you like i can keep you informed and maybe pass on some tips that i have learned (if they work of course) i also use DAP spray on his coller, picked that tip up on here and have to say it has helped.

suex
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi angied, i have just had the behaviorist round and she said i was deffo doing the right things and just needed to tweek some of what i was doing. she also said to NOT expose him to any dogs at the moment if i can help it as he needs to try and keep in a clam state (not stressed) she also suggested vitamin b6 to help promote the seratonin in the brain (she explained it so much better) so am going to give it a go! and to keep a diary which i thought was a great idea, (my grey cells are not the best at my age for remembering) all in all she was very impressive asked loads of questions. so if you like i can keep you informed and maybe pass on some tips that i have learned (if they work of course) i also use DAP spray on his coller, picked that tip up on here and have to say it has helped.

suex
That's great news Sue ~ I'm glad you're finding the behaviourist so helpful & supportive.

Whilst it may be ok in this situation, I'd be a bit careful assuming that what will work for your dog, will work for other dogs that appear to have similar problems. It's not always that simple as similar reactions/behaviours can have different triggers or cause different emotional reactions in dogs. This is why it is so important that a behaviourist sees & assesses each dog individually ~ why any advice on forums like these has to be taken carefully, or is expressed in very general terms.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2010, 09:26 AM
thanks sue hope it all goes well for you, not sure about the b6 as i wont give her anything as she has cecs so wont try anything new on her in case it triggers an episode.

the thing about her being excitbakle makes so much sense as when i try and put her lead onher head shakies like a leaf so much so i sometimes think shes going off to have a cramping episode!!
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
she starts on himand has bitten him, although he will still come back for more!!
but when they go we always put them both out the front and they have a great time
Trying to understand what you are describing..?

Did the bite to the rottie result in injury ? How did the rottie react?
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2010, 12:33 PM
she bit him on his body ,the rottie still wanted to play! and he had no injury
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >