View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
p.s my friend used it for her puppy who kept barking at particular noises at work, and after a day it stopped him doing it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi angie if I remember correctly this has been gong on a long time.
A couple of suggestions if a trainer is 'out'.

Firstly do you know why Lola is behaving this way when meeting other dogs, is she fearful or just over excited and wanting to play, the body language and tone of her bark should give you an idea. It can help to know which it is

If you can give a bit of time to addressing the problem it should improve.
I would take Lola out on her own until things do improve.

What I would do is to start by desensitising her to the presence of other dog. To do this take some treats (really tiny slivers of cheese maybe) and a favourite squeaky toy and pick a spot like a park where you can see other dogs passing at a distance .

Stand or sit ignoring other dogs and keeping Lola's attention with the toy giving her treats when she is ignoring the dogs. You need to do this little and often.
If she ignores the dogs try getting a little closer to them and repeat. Only go to a distance where Lola is comfortable with the situation,if she isn't go back to where she is.

My young dog gets over excited when she sees other dogs and 'yatters' as we are approaching them (she is in no way fearful just the opposite ) . When she does this I quickly turn and walk the other way, this breaks eye contact /helps to calm the situation/is not rewarding her over excitement by letting her approach the other dog. Once she I quiet I praise her saying 'quiet girl' and turn and continue walking on praising her again if she is quiet. If she starts yattering again I turn back once more and repeat.

She still forgets herself and gets over excited occasionally but she has for the most part learn that she must be quiet when approaching other dogs.

If you have used clicker training you could also teach this method using a clicker, I have only used one a limited amount.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
thanks for all your replies, i will carry on taking her out on her own although i do need her to eventually go out with a least one other dog (as have 3 others) i need to carry on with the dog treats rather than cheeses as not sure if the dairy will trigger off her cecs as it has done before.
i thought she was frightened of them but shes just aggresive and has bitten another dog before thats why she wears a muzzle she walks around like a thug and just seems to want to fight every dog she sees the bigger the better although shes not too bad with little dogs!

in the 2 years ive tried water and shake of a rattle but nothing has worked i may well try the corrector as a last resort as she also screams when we go down a path were she knows there are cats and early in the morning is very embarrasing so the corector may help with that as well
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
thanks for all your replies, i will carry on taking her out on her own although i do need her to eventually go out with a least one other dog (as have 3 others) i need to carry on with the dog treats rather than cheeses as not sure if the dairy will trigger off her cecs as it has done before.
i thought she was frightened of them but shes just aggresive and has bitten another dog before thats why she wears a muzzle she walks around like a thug and just seems to want to fight every dog she sees the bigger the better although shes not too bad with little dogs!

in the 2 years ive tried water and shake of a rattle but nothing has worked i may well try the corrector as a last resort as she also screams when we go down a path were she knows there are cats and early in the morning is very embarrasing so the corector may help with that as well
Angie if Lola is fearful of other dogs using aversive as you have described above can make the situation worse. They may teach Lola to associate seeing other dogs with unpleasant sounds/experiences making her even more fearful and defensives .

Likewise a muzzle, if Lola is fearful and on a lead 'flight' isn't an option , it has to be freeze or fight. Putting a muzzle on her removes her ability to 'fight' but in her case this means defend herself if the need arises.

There are no quick and easy remedies for many behavioural problems, overcoming them takes time and patience but the reward is a cure to the problem.

I would try the desensitisation described in post 12 a distance away from other dogs with the muzzle removed.

angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 03:37 PM
the funny thing is when she has a muzzle on shes actually a little calmer! same for my other dog who chews my car put a muzzle on him and hes really calm!

well rightly or wrongly if been out and bought a bark spray that sprays her with citronella. i went thru everythinbg they sold and opted for this as if i needed to correct her i could be getting the timing wrong which ive obv done in the past.

shes had it on for 1/2 hour but had already started to bark at the chickens she got sprayed but i think she thinks the chickens sprayed her!!
id reather not have a debate on if this is correct or not as to be honest its getting to a case where my hubby is getting so fed up he wants rid of her BUT i take an animal on for life and will perserveer but i do understand how he feels and this has now got to stop as if anything shes getting worse
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
the funny thing is when she has a muzzle on shes actually a little calmer! same for my other dog who chews my car put a muzzle on him and hes really calm!

well rightly or wrongly if been out and bought a bark spray that sprays her with citronella. i went thru everythinbg they sold and opted for this as if i needed to correct her i could be getting the timing wrong which ive obv done in the past.

shes had it on for 1/2 hour but had already started to bark at the chickens she got sprayed but i think she thinks the chickens sprayed her!!
id reather not have a debate on if this is correct or not as to be honest its getting to a case where my hubby is getting so fed up he wants rid of her BUT i take an animal on for life and will perserveer but i do understand how he feels and this has now got to stop as if anything shes getting worse
I work with dogs and owners and never recommend noise aversives. Dogs can associate the noise with the dog (just like you felt she may associate the aversive with the chickens... if free she may decide she really doesn't like chickens any more... this is common as animals do learn partly by association. If you've been advised (badly) to use cans with stones in etc its likely it's made the problem worse, so therefore use of aversives is not working with her.

Investment in a good trainer may well be worth it as she will only get worse - it's as important as health treatment really, only it's mental health rather than physical health. I appreciate money can be tight.

Here's some info on why not to use aversives:

http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/im...punishment.php

they can work but can cause a fallout, that's the problem.

Lots of luck anyway,

Wys
x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 05:55 PM
You can afford a citronella collar but not a training session?

I hope you tuned the dog in to the spray and didn't just shove it on her.

rune
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 06:38 PM
yep the spray was no where near as expensive as dog trainers and remember i had a trainer before advising me to shake a bottle! which didnt work so i can save up and pay for a trainer who will yet again give me more crap advise that doesnt work and will end up rowing with husband cos hes so fed up with her , or could carry on with the spray which in a short time this afternoon HAS worked so much so that when she barked and went to take a chunk out of my old boy she was sprayed and backed off especiallyas i caught her and said NO.

i understand some of you may be upset that im using it but none of you have met my dog and not seen the problem that i have shes already got a name round this village of a nasty dog and people give us a wide berth
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't have any advice Angie, i just wanted to sympathise with you regarding the cost of some dog trainers who happily take £100 a session and all they tell you is to do is shake a bottle.

If the collar works for you and your dog, use it. The pressure of a partner and neighbours having a go at you must be very stressful. Good luck.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by liz & kiesha View Post
I don't have any advice Angie, i just wanted to sympathise with you regarding the cost of some dog trainers who happily take £100 a session and all they tell you is to do is shake a bottle.

If the collar works for you and your dog, use it. The pressure of a partner and neighbours having a go at you must be very stressful. Good luck.
thank you, i have a friend who has the same problem but she has given up and now the dog deosnr get walked and i dont want that for her, im hopeing this works and with me training with treats as well she will eventually not have to wear it and we have calm quiet walks without anyone giving me evils.
i have no problems with the other 3 they great dogs and are fine no barking so i mustve doen something right with the others but shes just not getting the message. yet!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >