Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
...i never advicate pinning a dog if you dont have the experience but i do this all the time to keep it fresh in the dogs mind who is the boss
why on earth do you need to do this "all the time"? Are you insecure?

It's not a good idea to even remotely suggest this to pet owners (or any owners). As some of us have said before, it's all in the training. If you have to use force then something somewhere is not right.

A well trained, confident, happy, healthy dog does not need to be reminded who is "boss".

Wys
x

(sorry I'm sure you're not insecure but I'm joking as I'm truly saddened that someone would do this on a seemingly regular basis, in this day and age...)
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
So this morning I put Zeus on his lead (to stop him jumping on Heena as he gets so excited when near her) and I had Heena close, and I got a bowl of sausages and some ham

I told Heena to sit and gave her some sausage and then did the same with Zeus, I contineud this for about 15 mins, and amazingly despite Zeus sitting right next to her(though he was controlled via the lead) she did not once try to snap at him or bite him

So I think maybe if I do this every single day maybe its a way of getting Heena to accept that everything has to be shared like attention, treats,etc.
Could this be the case??
Yes very possibly ... what they are learning is that it's good to be near to each other and they are associating the other with something pleasant (conditioning).

All too often dogs are told off when there are other dogs around, eg new dogs and so on...they then sometimes get bad associations... some dogs simply don't get along and maybe never will, but often when pups calm down and older dogs associate them with good things it can work out....depends on the individuals, always, though

IMO older dogs can be allowed to tell young pups off gently when they've had enough, but must be given separate time each to chill and also as when pups are older, not all adult dogs will tolerate them being boisterous, and they can learnthe hard way that other dogs may not cope with their behaviour.... sounds as if your bitch may have been a bit overwhelmed, stressed, and tetchy withthe pup but maybe it's all settling down a bit now...hope so....

Wys
x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Just wanted to say what a grand job you're doing with them both considering the current situation there, and well done for taking on the old girl too, that's always good to hear.

I once had a dog aggressive gsd and we introduced a little puppy thinking that she would never attack a little pup, just as everyone else has told you on your travels. She never physically attacked it, she was just obnoxious with her, wouldn't let her lie near her or play with her, but as time went on, and I'm talking weeks and weeks here, she learned to live with her and they became very good friend, not best buddies but good friends, so I hope you end up with the same with your two.

I've been lucky this time around, I had a rescue gsd 9yrs old male, and have now introduced a new puppy (f) and it's a match made in heaven, and I tell you something else here, I've had many gsd bitches where we've introduced a new puppy, but NEVER have I seen the gentleness and affectionate shown to it, like this current old BOY of mine! I think the dad's are much better than the mum's with a new puppy, maybe like the Lions, they seem to put up with them far, far better imo!

Good luck, you will certainly get there in the end, with patience, patience and a bit more patience, and lots of sausages of course!!!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2009, 04:42 PM
giving 2 dogs a task or a job to do helps,im sure all of this will blow over with time and effort ...good luck
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2