View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Good points, and I appreciate the concern and am pleased you asked. Yes I have looked into the ins and outs of SDH work. Licensing, insurance, training etc. I am in the process of starting up the business after doing the groundwork, business plan etc. I have bought the vehicle & most of the equipment in the past week. In January I have my ASET 2 course. We are relocating to the south of the UK next year. Where I shall be offering my services not much call for it up here but I do have the time to get things in place and organised.

My FIRST belief for a GP working dog is an even good temperament. This im 100% sure he has. I may not have conveyed this properly in previous posts. His aggression is not so much aggression as misplaced behaviour with a lack of inhibition. He has moderate to low prey drive and seems to perceive threat well only reacting with defence drive when there is something to be concerned about.

Bite work is a long way off atm, got to start at the beginning yet Once we get moved I will be doing CT with him aswell.

I have worked in various security roles most of my working life in several area's. I have been out of it for 3yrs or so in which time as you guys know ive been heavily involved with dogs. Studying behaviour and training etc. I understand if my plans or reasons for taking him on dont sit well with some or even all of you and my rehoming comments may have come across as too flippant. But he is primarily here to train for work. Should he not be suitable he will make a very good companion as he does have a great temperament, just needs boundaries, direction etc etc. IF he is rehomed, will I be bunging an ad up in the free ads? no. I have somewhere lined up if needs be.

I wont go into all my business plans
But I hope ive helped answer your Q's and have eased any concern?
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Just a question , but surely a dog who has a tendency to bite, is not a good candidate for bite work??
Not necessarily - sometimes when you introduce control and teach the bite properly - you can overcome what is a problem - however - if he has had a LIVE bite then he should not be used!

Callum - i notice you are in Scotland - give Shona a shout in regards to rotties if you don't know them.

She also knows about the security industry and i will help if i can -

Please please don't go through with this - i can home my dog with no fear of rebuttal - could you do the same with a dog showing already aggressive tendencies. What if the people you home him to have kids??
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Just a question , but surely a dog who has a tendency to bite, is not a good candidate for bite work??
correct, dont get me wrong in the hands of someone who has done this for a long long time the dog could work out
but you would find they would spend months taking the bite out of the dog.......then months later train it back in.

so most people looking for a dog to do work like this would rather start off with a clean sheet...ie a dog with the right temprament.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 12:16 PM
LOL - posted at same time.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
Not necessarily - sometimes when you introduce control and teach the bite properly - you can overcome what is a problem - however - if he has had a LIVE bite then he should not be used!

Callum - i notice you are in Scotland - give Shona a shout in regards to rotties if you don't know them.

She also knows about the security industry and i will help if i can -

Please please don't go through with this - i can home my dog with no fear of rebuttal - could you do the same with a dog showing already aggressive tendencies. What if the people you home him to have kids??

Thanks for that!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
LOL - posted at same time.
lol........................
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes I have looked into the ins and outs of SDH work. Licensing, insurance, training etc. I am in the process of starting up the business after doing the groundwork, business plan etc.
Can I ask what sort of work you plan on doing.. eg static security for sites and so on ?

if so keep in mind that many building developments have ground to a halt just now due to the credit crunch.

I often get asked why I dont do this sort of secuity work... my answer is, its not worth it,
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Can I ask what sort of work you plan on doing.. eg static security for sites and so on ?

if so keep in mind that many building developments have ground to a halt just now due to the credit crunch.

I often get asked why I dont do this sort of secuity work... my answer is, its not worth it,
Building sites would make up the majority, alarm response, mobile patrols etc or whatever is required. Its a very good point tho, building works are at a low if not ground to a halt but im sure it'll pull through. Hope so anyway
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
Building sites would make up the majority, alarm response, mobile patrols etc or whatever is required. Its a very good point tho, building works are at a low if not ground to a halt but im sure it'll pull through. Hope so anyway
yup work is slow in that field at the moment... my experiance alarm response often go to the BIG companys.. who tend to fit alarms and have the fancy control centres..
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Just having a look at some of the previously posted threads on the security dog forums and it seems work for dog handlers is quite tight at the mo - some guys are not even getting their quota of 36 hours a week - there not on a good pay either so some have had to resort back to doing the doors, other change employment just to feed their families and cover bills.

There is nothing like this in Scotland as when a company needs a dog, they private hire down south and its not very often. i know because i spoke to all the main security companies and it wasn't pleasant answers.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >