Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 01:12 PM

NOTE to BARFers

There are now plenty of raw food and feeding threads, and someone who has joined to challenge our very views and beliefs.

There are many things to learn about raw feeding, and i try to be careful when people want to know more or consider changing to a more natural diet. There are many many different ways to feed raw, and i can guarantee that everyone does it slightly differently, because its not jsut a case of putting some kibble in a bowl.
The main differences of natural feeding is between cooking the meat, or leaving it raw.
Cooking is one way of elimanating bactiera present on the raw meat, which scares some people. I am sure we all know by now that a dogs body can cope with more than ours, and that its quite capable of tackling a dose of salmonella that would probably kill a human. Cooking also kills enzymes and vitamins, the life force. there are a million and one uses for enzymes within a body, this is what we need to thrive, the reason we feed raw. We all know we need vitamins, yet most vits are extremly unstable, they denature if left, frozen or cooked.
Raw is not without its risks, but from personal experiences, and testimonials of others* i have weighed up the risks and agree that the benefits are far higher.

*people that have written and recorded their experiences, good and bad whilst feeding raw. also on my journey i have met a surprsing amount of breeders who keep it a secret in the show ring, as they get the best results over breeders that dont feed naturally. i have met dogs that should be old and arthritic, dancing about like pups, dogs who should be retired, still competing (and doing well) in agility at 10 years of age, i believe its because of this diet.

Its never too late to feed right.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Its never too late to feed right
I dont mind people asking me Q about how I train, work and feed my dog.
What I donīt like is people saying whats right and wrong, leaving others options out and judgeing those who does it diff.

No I dont feed raw. And I dont intend to!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Raw feeding is not something I would try. Im happy with Star's health and general appearance on her complete food

I dont think there is a right way or a wrong way of feeding your dog its up to the individual and their circumstances.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
i dont intend to feed barf /raw either, i am very happy with the food i currently use
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Each to their own ...as long as the dog is fit and happy thats all that matters.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
i guess i cant argue with your statement archer, however i would hope that people who LOVE their dogs would research into feeding (and other things) and not just go with a colourful advert, or what is the conventional norm. and if they are researching, then they would be carefully considering their options, as there are alot of mind changing facts to consider...points i have mentioned on the other raw threads. it is a headache as katy said earlier, but i would rather have knowledge to make an educated choice than be ignorant. i can accept people saying its too expensive to feed a kennel load of dogs, but there is really no excuse for one or two (or four!) rather than ignorance, or just not believing it. there are so many options, and AMP are making pre packed just minced meat (beef chicken tripe fish and lamb) so its easier than ever (although i still wont trust anyone who is making money out of it, i need to see what i am giving my dog)

you are what you eat, you get out what you put in. do the best you can for your dog/s.
Carole
Supervisor

03-03-2005, 03:28 PM
I have put a lot of thought into what I feed Star to make sure I dont feed rubbish to her.

She is healthy and never at the vet unless its for health checks so I must be doing something right
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 03:29 PM
i feed burns, it is not advertised on the tv, it is one of the best (if not the best) complete food available, and i highly recommend it
Carole
Supervisor

03-03-2005, 03:31 PM
same here Star gets Burns but at the moment we are experimenting with Autarky to see if it is as good. If not its back to Burns
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 03:32 PM
for the people who DONT feed raw... can you tell me why? there are plenty of people on here that do, so the thoughts about changing to raw must have at some point crossed your minds.... can you tell us a bit about why you disagree/dont want to do it?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >