Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 05:08 PM

Long lines

I'm looking to replace my current long line as the end has frayed and I'm worried it may eventually snap. It's a horse lunge line I use and I like the sturdiness of it but the clip is much too bulky really, would prefer something smaller.
I've found some on Ebay I like the look of but thought I'd see what other people use. Any preferences? Any you've tried and didn't like, and why? What length longline do you find works best for you?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 05:46 PM
My lunge line is light weight cotton with a no too bulky but sturdy clip, I am pretty sure it is a Aeroborn one.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Up until now I've been using two (one 5metres and one 40) from here:

http://www.trainingtrousers.co.uk/index1.html

I think the longest one they do is 50 metres.

They're nice and strong.

However - and this is probably just me not being very good with them! - now that the weather is warmer and the park is full of kids, the long line has proved a bit tricky and last week I almost managed to trip up two kids in one go who were making a fuss of Dexter....

So I've stopped using them and now in the park he's on a Flexi lead.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Just get nylon coated washing line, very cheap and buy the size of clip you like from a hardware shop and voila!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Dammit I hate longlines And three dogs all on longlines at the same time...well you know how that works!

I'd like a new longline too, my halti one is just too thin for the size and strength of Cain. I'd prefer something thicker, like yours. Let me know if you find anything good.

Tabitha, they look great but a bit pricey

SB, good idea for a small dog but I'm not sure that would work with dogs of the size and strength of mine and krlyr's dogs. And nylon coated I can see, dog lunges, smooth line goes zip through fingers I already find my line a bit too thin and it can hurt my fingers, I imagine a washing line would be even more uncomfortable! But great idea for smaller (better behaved!) dogs than mine!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:08 PM
These are the ones I've seen on Ebay but a few people now have said cotton is better than nylon
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rogers-rug-...fsub=634275018

However, those ones come in lots of different lengths at very reasonable prices. The cotton ones I've found seem to be between 7-9 metres.
This one's the longest I've found at 30' and looks very sturdy but at £20 with postage it's also the most expensive one I've seen!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BN-COTTON-LUNG...item25649bffb1

Oh, this one's about 30' too and a bit cheaper but not sure if the leather section would help or hinder with a dog
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WEBBED-COTTON-...item3cb95e5a1a

Trying to decide whether it's going to be a pain carrying a longer line than 30' but as Casper decided to go for a swim today I'm wondering if he might like the extra length to have a proper swim, then again he might decide he didn't like it that much afterall and not bother again

If I decide to order some I'll let you know Amanda, I'll probably get two and can order you one if the postage deal is better. Going to have a look on some equestrian supply websites too as I may order some fingerless riding gloves for holding them in the warmer weather too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Well I think you will find that washing line has a high tensile strength as it has to hold washing and much of it has wire inside it!

You should ALWAYS wear gloves when using long lines, nylon coating means it never gets caught up in the undergrowth!

Plus they never get wet and heavy in the rain or need washing or drying, a quick wipe and voila!
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:14 PM
http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/dog-leads/long-lines

There is some here.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi MOON'S MUM

Yes I know what you mean, they probably cost more than some others I looked at. I think that in the long term though they were worth it as they are very robust.

SMOKEY BEAR is totally right re the gloves - I did not use gloves and got awful rope burn last week.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I use nylon lunge lines that I got from ebay. Think they cost me about £5 with a £2 p+p!

The ones I've got come in a variety of lengths and colours. The clips are aren't huge but are strong! I've had them about a year and a half now and there's no sign of any wear, and they've been caught up in bushes, dragged through really muddy puddles and been in the river when I've taken the dogs swimming!

Will try and find a link!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >