Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
My advice is based on my knowledge of training from people who do actually do this.
Everyone else's knowledge seems based on well nothing lol.

Adam
so you just spout out what others say/do, probably very true for how you train your won dogs
can we train an alligator to eat Adam?
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:02 PM
My advice is based on my knowledge of training from people who do actually do this.

Adam

Surely as a trainer, you should not be doling out advice, unless, you know it works, and have used it, and trained others dogs in this situation,and will put your reputation behind it.

So, the correct answer is NO, you have never trained a dog with an alligator, and you have no working knowledge of using your techniques. So, you really shouldn't be issuing any advice or training tips, except to advise, the OP to be sensible, keep dog onlead when near aliagtors, give the alligator plenty of space, keep away from the waters edge, and find somewhere different to exercise the dog offlead.

You have not met the dog, seen the location, or the owner, but you so confidently offer your expert opnion, on something You have never dealt with.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Surely as a trainer, you should not be doling out advice, unless, you know it works, and have used it, and trained others dogs in this situation,and will put your reputation behind it.

I know it works because the advice has come from proffesional trainers who do it regularly.

Adam
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:11 PM

I know it works because the advice has come from proffesional trainers who do it regularly.

Adam

That is not the same, as you using it.

Adam, you are not qualified to give anybody advice, on how to train their dog to avoid alligators.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Then your lunch lol.

Adam
Maybe you are lunch, or maybe the dog is lunch.. My point, although jokey, was that you would be working with an animal that is really a predator.

I.e if it wanted to get person or dog, under the training situation you describe, it might well do.

In other words, gators lurk and rush and grab (I think - anyone know different? ) so your suggestion could get someone hurt or their dog eaten.

So as I said before:

And what if there is another, hunting alligator (ALL TOGETHER NOW!)

"BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!!"
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 05:39 PM
WW

DW obviously felt it was safe enough to do it, and he lives there. So I think I will go with his opinion.

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Adam
Really? Who have you worked with that actually does alligator avoidance training?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2011, 07:14 PM
*Some posts have been removed. Please keep this thread on topic*
mike_c
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
You cannot know what your dog is sniffing and so therefore you HAVE to make sure the dog has made the connection between the alligator YOU HAVE SEEN and the shock. You have NO way of knowing that the dog is going to make the proper connection
Also, a good solid recall doesn't take that long to train with many dogs. I know YOU think it takes forever because what dog wants to come to you when you shock the crap out of it.
Awesome Crysania!

We been here before with Adam...

It's possible for me to sniff pongy goats cheese as I open a fridge, but conciously be hunting for the cheesecake - but which would be associated with an aversive at that moment.

There are so many intereresting smells to a dog - and Adam can't ever be absolutely sure which scent the dog is concentrating on, or even if the dog is actually thinking about something else entirely.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by mike_c View Post
There are so many intereresting smells to a dog - and Adam can't ever be absolutely sure which scent the dog is concentrating on, or even if the dog is actually thinking about something else entirely.
Well, precisely - he would have to be inside the dog's nose or head to do that, and while many of us might wish he was, I'm not sure the dog would agree...
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 >