Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
As i said in my post above if people are making sensible suggestions and offering sound advice instead of putting me down then i'm happy to take this on board and listen to it.

I'm sorry if you think i'm being overly defensive but I was and still am quite upset about some of the things that have been said.
Please try and see that is because we care about your dog and don't want anything to happen even if it is the slightest chance for all of life's risks, some just think that is too great a risk that is all I think. It isn't just a case of people bullying you or trying to upset you - get you to see the dangers etc but not bullying or anything sinister
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Glad to know you are so happy to embrace that belly up position.
If it keeps my dogs safe, I am as happy as you
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Thanks for your post and advice. He loves the car and travelling and we've never had any issues with him but I guess this is because he is just allowed to have free space.

The issue he has is with small confined spaces which is why I'm not keen on putting him in a crate. I am looking into the guard option though. At the moment I don't have the back seats in my car, they are laid down flat to give Monty more room to lie down and stretch out so my car doesn't have a seperate boot space as such at the moment.

I also have a lot of trouble getting him to jump in and out of the boot and I have trouble lifting him by myself but I'm sure I could rectify this using methods learnt at agility to get him to jump in and out.
The only way I can get both dogs in my car is to have the back seats folded forward. To keep them separate from the front of the car I've got a dog guard fixed to the front head rests, this might be something to consider. Although it does mean Monty could still stick his head out of the window, so I'm sure you'll still get some stick for that.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Interesting (having read the whole thread) how many belt/harness up thier dogs in cars, ours get in the back and lie down, but they are not harnessed.
On the way to scotland as its such a long journey Tess and Bruce will be in the boot space and Skye will get the back seat, but I know they will sleep thier way there
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:52 AM
I read, whilst researching this thread yesterday that a border collie, loose in the back will crash into you with the force of 9, 12 stone men if breaking at 60mph.

That would be very painful and not a risk I would ever take, for me or my dogs.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yes I do. The only way I can fit the dogs in the back of my car is to have the seats down, which means they can stick their heads out of the back window. They love it and like you say once we get over 40mph they duck back in and I close the window. I don't have the window down far enough for them to get out and don't find any of the risks stated by people (gravel flying into their eyes, getting hit by a passing vehicle etc) to be of a significant enough risk (eg I find the risks to be very small) to consider stopping them from doing it.

I know this opinion won't be popular, but hey, we're all entitled to do as we please.
My dogs aren't loose in the car.

I'm not going to get into the whole "would you let your child" thing, for personal reasons.

That's nice, thanks for telling me that.

We all risk our dogs lives everyday simply by living with them and owning them. You view this risk as very high, I don't. I've personally determined this risk as very minimal, otherwise I wouldn't let them do it. I don't believe all the scaremongering that you get on forums, I prefer to judge the risk depending upon my own experience and abilities. The whole "difference between life or death" that's your opinion only, you've never met me or my dogs so as far as I know it's not possible for you to accurately state this.

Isn't it just, but thankfully I'm not the type to really care what others think. Especially when they've never met me and know nothing about me!

Interesting thing about the sea, I've never really thought about it tbh. I think with having gundogs that are generally confident swimmers I've never worried about it. It's another thing that depends entirely on your own experience, the dogs ability and the sea itself. Nothing in this world is black and white, yet people insist on judging others like it's one shade of grey.
The only way I can get both dogs in my car is to have the back seats folded forward. To keep them separate from the front of the car I've got a dog guard fixed to the front head rests, this might be something to consider. Although it does mean Monty could still stick his head out of the window, so I'm sure you'll still get some stick for that.
So the back seats are flat, but there is a guard between the front seats? How do you restrain/belt them up then Rips?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Interesting (having read the whole thread) how many belt/harness up thier dogs in cars, ours get in the back and lie down, but they are not harnessed.On the way to scotland as its such a long journey Tess and Bruce will be in the boot space and Skye will get the back seat, but I know they will sleep thier way there:lol:
Do you think that sleeping all the way there on the back seat without any seat belts on, is going to keep them and you safe
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Do you think that sleeping all the way there on the back seat without any seat belts on, is going to keep them and you safe
Oh no, never said that.

I just said ours are not belted. But then alot of people don;t, not suggesting Im right or anyone is wrong, just making a generalised note. Im sure everything about that is wrong, but thats just us, not perfect I know
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Oh no, never said that.

I just said ours are not belted. But then alot of people don;t, not suggesting Im right or anyone is wrong, just making a generalised note. Im sure everything about that is wrong, but thats just us, not perfect I know
But what I dont understand is that, I am sure you know the importance of seat belts, you buckle up, I am sure you make your passengers buckle up, if you are carrying kids in the back of the car, I am sure you make them put their seat belts on.

So why is it not important to use the same thinking with dogs.

Why is it OK to allow them to be in the car without restraints, yet you would never think to allow children /passengers to do the same!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But what I dont understand is that, I am sure you know the importance of seat belts, you buckle up, I am sure you make your passengers buckle up, if you are carrying kids in the back of the car, I am sure you make them put their seat belts on.

So why is it not important to use the same thinking with dogs.

Why is it OK to allow them to be in the car without restraints, yet you would never think to allow children /passengers to do the same!!
Thats a hard one, to be honest, first because they are going to be behind guard there isn't much elsewhere they can go, Skye will be on the back seats on our way to Scotland Yes, but usually she is in the boot space, we only allow this is the journey is hours long and we don;t stop, Skye usually gets into the floor well too.

also I have a few nightmares about belts re dogs, years ago (and I know this is a one off) my ex hubby and I were travelling to hols, the boys were belted in the back, we were travelling along and came round a bend where there had been something happening and traffic tailback caused. We were just past the bend when I heard my Ex say OH SH*t and then a huge bang. We all ended in hospital with whiplash and bruising, but it wasn;t until afterwards, the boys said......Meg was clever apprantly just as the car flew round the bend Meg made a hastey retreat from the boot to the backseat well. just as well she did as the boot was slammed right into the backseat, and viewing the wreck later she would of been crushed between the car that hit us and the back seat.

Both my boys always say that she just jumped out of the way..........she was only 5 then, so she would of never of made 23 if she had of been belted up.

But I would never say anyone was wrong to belt or not to belt, I think we are very fortunate that ours a re brill in the car, they do lie down all the way and sleep, being so relaxed in the boot they would go far other than into the side of the seat.

Page 17 of 49 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »