View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Bentley coughing, can I do anything until ...

we see the vet?
He came home from work with OH and went straight to sleep. He woke up about an hour ago and started to retch. and then kept going until he coughed up bubbly saliva
I thought that was it and he went outside and pootled round the garden etc.
He went back to sleep but just woke himself up coughing and I think he scared himself and started to pant I will get him to the vet tomorrow but are there any home remedies to make him more comfortable? If it were me I'd have buttercup syrup
Bentley is an 17 month old Jack Russell. Thank you
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:11 PM
We used to give them cough mixture this helps, give him plenty of fluid, keep his food on the soft side and keep him quiet. It sounds like kennel cough, he will be infectious to other dogs while coughing. I hope he is better soon.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Findley View Post
We used to give them cough mixture this helps, give him plenty of fluid, keep his food on the soft side and keep him quiet. It sounds like kennel cough, he will be infectious to other dogs while coughing. I hope he is better soon.
Any particular brand? I have Benylin and Buttercup syrup I just tried to give him honey but he's not impressed
Thank you xx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:23 PM
If I was you I'd check inside his mouth to make sure there's no obstruction causes it.
If not I'd assume in was KC and give him a small amount of Benylin Expectorant (this is what my vet told me to do when Spence had it as a puppy.)
Hope he feels better soon xx
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Benylin is good as it has a sedative effects which will keep him rested. 5 to 10ml if you have a syringe into the side of his mouth and gentley hold his mouth closed and he will swallow it.
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:54 PM
My vet advised Benylyn for mine and i must admit works a treat hope he is better soon
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Amazing! Thank you all so much! Bless his little heart, he swallowed the medicine....and then gave me the most foul look
He's not eaten his dinner tonight and drunk hardly any water so far and although a little subdued is still his cheeky self. he did have a small cough back in the summer which the vet simply said was pharyngitus, it's a much more pronounced cough this time. He's sleeping now and no coughing
So, should we simply home treat with cough syrup or should I take him to the vets to get anti biotics?
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 11:47 PM
To be honest i'd treat him at home and if not better in a few days take him vets every time i take mine he tells me give them benylyn so i'd save ya penny's on the charge for seeing them hope he's better and back to his proper self soon
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by waifsnstrays View Post
To be honest i'd treat him at home and if not better in a few days take him vets every time i take mine he tells me give them benylyn so i'd save ya penny's on the charge for seeing them hope he's better and back to his proper self soon
ok! Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. He's just been charging round the garden with the cat Hopefully the cough will ease the next day or two.
We usually do a class on a wednesday night; should we not go to the next one?

Thank you all for your helpful responses; google said honey or benylin but it's so much more reassuring to hear it from responsible owners that have tried it