Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thedilg1987
New Member!
Male 

22-06-2009, 04:24 PM

benadryl,safe or not?

iv just read on the internet its safe to give your dog benadryl allergy tablets,whats peoples opinion on this??
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi thedilg personally I would only give any medication on the advice of a vet unless there was an absolute emergency and a vet couldn't be contacted,but that is unlikely to happen.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2009, 04:46 PM
You are correct to confirm anything you read on the internet. If anything, I think there is more and more bad information out there. Benadryl is safe, perhaps up to 2 mg per pound of body weight. It is widely used, but I agree with Minihaha about waiting to talk to the vet about it.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2009, 02:32 PM
My vet told me that antihistamine ingredient Loratadine is safer for dogs than Benedryl - I think it's brand name is Claritin, although I you can get it nonbranded aswell.

I used it once when I was on a weekend hike with my dog and she got stung on her eye which then became tennis ball sized. Loratadine got it down quite quickly. That's the only situation I would personally use it for - just a one off, I wouldn't do multiple doses myself without vet advice.
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2009, 05:09 PM
I was talking to a group of dog walkers the other day and one of them said they give their dog Piriton for allergies. Another said she gave her dog Ibruprofen for his arthritis. She was shocked when I said I paid a prescription charge and bought Metacam for my dogs arthritis. Said vets were a rip off and her dog was fine on Ibuprofen. Another man chipped in and said he gave his old dog Paracetamol if he seemed a bit stiff. I just said that I would never give my dogs anything without having it recomended by a vet. I was made to feel stupid for paying for my dogs medication and had to walk away as I felt outnumbered but I was suprised that they were comfortable with giving their dogs these tablets. Are they safe?
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Piriton is ok for dogs although still not as good a antihistamine for dogs as Clarityn / active ingredient Loratadine.

Ibuprofen, no way. Definitely toxic to dogs. Known to cause stomach ulcers and anemia from the bleeding as well as kidney and liver failure from prolonged use.

Stupid woman
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 06:04 PM
When Bambi had hives, due to food allergy, the Vet told me to give her Piriton (she'd already been in and had injections but it hadn't subsided and so I rang for advice). I asked if Benadryl would be better but she said that Piriton was what she gave her in the injection in the surgery, so to stick with that. Can't remember the dosage though, sorry
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't know of any cases of dogs being injured by Ibruprofen, but it is widely warned against by reliable sources. Nor do I know of any dogs surviving long term usage. A year ago, I was paying the vet for Metacam for old Aster.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi James There are a couple of reasons why I will only give 'human medication' on the recommendation of a vet. Firstly human medication frequently have a different coating to veterinary medication and consequently a different absorption rate making it difficult to get an accurate and effective dosage.
Secondly if you give medication without getting the advice of a vet and your dog has an adverse reaction not only will you be responsible for making your dog ill but you may invalidate your insurance.

I keep a veterinary antihistamine in the house which I get from the vet. It is called Atarax generic name
Hydroxyzine ..
''hydroxyzine is an antihistamine and it is used for acute inflammatory and allergic conditions such as:
snake bites,vaccination reaction,bee stings.insect bites, itchy skin''

So if you think your dog may have an allergic reaction to something I would contact your vet and obtain a veterinary antihistamine with a dosage suited to the weight of your dog and keep it in the house just in case it is needed.
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:59 AM
http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/antihistamines.htm

This gives the correct doses of many of the more common antihistamines for dogs ... hope this helps x