Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-09-2008, 06:46 AM

cooking lamb

I'd like to see how Y'all cook lamb. My Nana used to cook it for me,but for the life of me it's always to gamey. The best I've ever tasted I had from the russians I used to work for.They never would say how it was perpared tho. Any tips? please
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Do you actually mean a joint of lamb? are you classing any sheep meat as lamb cos at a year its classed as mutton which is just as nice cooked properly.

Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm a vegetarian but always cook lamb for my hubby he likes it cooked long and low. Falls apart when cooked.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 08:14 PM
If it's a joint, stuff it with slivers from a clove of garlic, only one. Salt and pepper, rosemary spread over it, then roast on a high heat for around half an hour, then turn it to a low heat (not sure what it is in the US but our ovens are about 190 degrees).

The flash roasting seals the meat then the slow roast cooks it off.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2008, 08:28 PM
As above. yummy.
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks those sound good. I have to ask tho. What is a joint of lamb? Is that a particular cut?
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2008, 08:50 PM
like a leg or a shoulder.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by RobK View Post
Thanks those sound good. I have to ask tho. What is a joint of lamb? Is that a particular cut?
As above, either a leg or shoulder joint. Last one we had was the leg and it turned out lovely. Especially with peas and new potatos and a fresh mint sauce (We planted some we got from somewhere and as you can guess, it's taken over! Anyone want some mint)!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 06:27 PM
I slow roast it, with garlic, half a pint of red wine, some redcurrant sauce and fresh rosemary.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi Rob I cook something called 'Poor mans game' , a lovely rich dish and quite unusual.
You take a leg of lamb and marinade it for three days in a level teaspoon of coriander seeds/half a teaspoon of juniper berries/couple of bay leaves/couple of strips of orange peel/half a dozen sprigs of Rosemary/ 6 cloves of garlic crushed/ half a bottle of red wine/black pepper corns/a little sea salt.
I put the marinade in a polythene bag than in a dish. Add the lamb and turn frequently,keep it in the fridge.
After three days seal the lamb in a hot oven 200c (put a little olive oil in a roasting tin, when it is hot add the lamb and baste with the oil). Reduce the temperature slightly to 180c and cook for 25mins per pound +25 mins.

Strain the marinade,remove any excess fat from the roasting tin then add a little flour to the meat juices from the lamb, mix in a little stock and the marinade and reduce to make a gravy, strain.
Serve the lamb with red currant jelly, creamed potatoes vegatables and the gravy.Red cabbage goes well with it too .