Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2010, 10:27 AM

Veggie growers?

Hi, Are there any other veggie growers on here?

We moved house a couple of years ago and last year did a lot of work on the garden and installed 2 raised beds for growing veggies. Last year we did quite well, I don't know if that is just beginners luck.

This year we have an ambitious list of things to grow, we've bought all the seeds and seed potatoes, but I'm now feeling a bit apprehensive

We are hopefully going to have successful crops of:

several varieties of potatoes
tomatoes
peas
brussel sprouts
brocolli
parsnips
mixed lettuce
cabbage
carrots
chilli peppers (inside)
swede
dwarf french beans

I wonder if we are being wise to try so many things at once and would also like to hear what anyone else is planning to grow

Scooter
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Will be growing,pots, leeks, onions, shallots, garlic, sweetcorn, dwarf French,and runner beans.Parsnip beetroot, toms(various) cucumbers,peppers, courgette dont tend to grow many brassicae bcause of cabbage white.
grow your root crops in the same part of the garden,withoutany/ much fertilizer,and try and remove as many stones as you can,helps the roots stop splitting............and above all enjoy it

I'm still waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can get the greenhouse sorted.
Jeanette

...........and apples,damson, plums and figs, would have had kiwis if a certain pup hadnt taken up gardening LOL
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Theres nothing wrong with being ambitious,from your list things should go well, just remember not to plant to early as there is still a risk of frost, I'll be putting some stuff in around April time. Also remember to rotate crops each year, although runner beans cann be grown in the same place yearly

Good luck with your venture xxxxxx

I have an allotment and I always give things a try, if things turn out then its a bonus xxxxx
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
We are getting a bit of a thaw and I hope to dig some parsnips soon. We concentrate on things you don't find in the store or aren't very good. We divide our garden in thirds, tomatos, squash, and everything else, corn, beans, parsnips, beets, swiss chard, glads, etc.
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

Last year we grew Supersweet sweetcorn and it grew fantastically well and we got a good crop from it - that has really spurred us on this year. I think it's easy to get carried away when buying seeds though and that's how our list has grown so big.

I'm not sure I can say that we've selected carefully what to grow - just mainly our favourite veggies and hopefully ones that will grow relatively well for us.

We tried to grow cabbages last year - with very poor results. (Let's just say that even the cabbage whites didn't bother with them) The seedlings just didn't seem to come to anything, but we'll try again this year as the packet is already bought
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
This weekend we have sown indoors:

tomato seeds
chilli seeds
peas
brocolli seeds
lettuce seeds

The potatoes are chitting in the spare bedroom and we have bought one of those little plastic greenhouses ready to harden off the seedlings in a few weeks

I'm feeling quite excited now we've got going.

What have you all got planted so far?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Have to admit got nowt planted yet but the pots are chitting, will get myself in gear after Crufts.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Yes, it is about time to get our tomato seeds planted. The weather has finally warmed up to where I could dig some parsnips the other day.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I've got a raised veggie patch as well which I weeded at the weekend and raked some chicken pellet fertliser through which will be left for two weeks. It is currently covered with a large net to stop the neighbourhood cats planting their own stuff in it!

When I get back from my holiday early April I'll be growing the following in the veg patch:

Peas
Runner Beans
Normal Carrots
Chantenay Carrots (smaller but amazing flavour)
Onions
Sweetcorn (good crop last year)
Leek

Then I've got the plastic growhouse which was initially out if action this year as the wind ripped the cover but homebase sell replacements so in there
we will be having;

Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Peppers
Chilli's
Cucumber

Then we've got various pots outside which will be home to the following:

Strawberries
Butternut Squash (not got high hopes but will give it a go!)
Potatoes

The remaining tubs and old ceramic
sinks will be home to my herbs which include:

Mint
Lemon Thyme
Chives
Parsley
Rosemary
Sage
Bay Tree

I also grow sunflowers for the birds as it keeps them away from my peas and
beans and then I'm having hanging baskets to attract the bees.

I'm attempting mushrooms in polystyrene boxes in the shed this year as well!

Looking back at that it seems I'm going
to be quite busy this year!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I have pots chitting, just waiting for the last of the night frosts. I have sown toms, peas, and some sweet peas for colour. I intend to have a go at carrots, onions, cucumber.

These are Tumbling Tom, so I can grow them in hanging baskets.

These are the early ones I planted at the begining of Feb.

Just getting their true leaves

My peas and other seeds

Like Steph I will wait to plant the rest until April. I have to plant mostly in tubs and hessian bags. But I do have a dwarf Apple tree and some blueberries, raspberries. More if I can find room

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >