register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,957
Male 
 
25-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Yes you are just lucky and ignorant. But there will likely come a day when your luck will run out due to your ignorance and you will wish you listened to people instead of putting on your show here. I'm done with this thread on that note.
I've given you truth. You call me ignorant. Go in peace. He does.

Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,957
Male 
 
29-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Yes you are just lucky and ignorant. But there will likely come a day when your luck will run out due to your ignorance and you will wish you listened to people instead of putting on your show here. I'm done with this thread on that note.
The days are getting shorter so we are taking our last walk earlier. We sometimes meet the children and parents going home from school. It is a nice social interaction. Most of them know Max and are pleased to see him. Makes them smile and that can't be bad.

But we were going through a zig-zag barrier today and there was a woman (mother?) coming the other way. We did the gentlemanly thing and let her go first.
"Wait" was all I said to Max. I probably didn't even need to have said that. I stop, he stops. He didn't even get close to her.

But I got a right earful for him not being on a lead. She claimed that it was in the rules that he had to be on a lead. It isn't and I suggested that she should actually read the rules.

And we went strolling on only to be given another tirade of abuse and foul language. Not acceptable language or behaviour in front of primary school children.
Reply With Quote
Losos
Dogsey Veteran
Losos is offline  
Location: Suffolk, England
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,077
Male  Silver Supporter 
 
30-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
But I got a right earful for him not being on a lead. She claimed that it was in the rules that he had to be on a lead. It isn't and I suggested that she should actually read the rules.

Can I respectfully suggest that you consider a move up this way where people are well used to dogs and in four years (apart from one idiot) have never said anything like that to me.


Still these ignorants pop up everywhere these days and I'm just glad that we don't come across them often (or ever) but like I say we are a rural community and it just goes with the territory.


Large towns and cities are becomming populated by morons (mostly 'tho not everyone obviously)
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,957
Male 
 
30-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Can I respectfully suggest that you consider a move up this way where people are well used to dogs and in four years (apart from one idiot) have never said anything like that to me.


Still these ignorants pop up everywhere these days and I'm just glad that we don't come across them often (or ever) but like I say we are a rural community and it just goes with the territory.


Large towns and cities are becomming populated by morons (mostly 'tho not everyone obviously)
Where we live at the moment is actually quite a small community and most people know my dog. He is very well liked by the kids and you can see by his demented rudder of a tail what he thinks of them. But yes, you get foul-mouthed, unpleasant people everywhere.

Anyway, we are moving up to Yorkshire to be nearer family.
Reply With Quote
Losos
Dogsey Veteran
Losos is offline  
Location: Suffolk, England
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,077
Male  Silver Supporter 
 
30-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
we are moving up to Yorkshire to be nearer family.

Excellant move, there are many lovely villages up there and folk are mostly hard working, sensible, and down to earth, and best of all the farming influence is strong so no silly nonsense about dogs on leads
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,957
Male 
 
30-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Excellant move, there are many lovely villages up there and folk are mostly hard working, sensible, and down to earth, and best of all the farming influence is strong so no silly nonsense about dogs on leads
Thank you, Losos.
Max is a big, gentle fellow. He is qualified as a PAT dog. Pets as therapy. And he makes (most) people smile.
Reply With Quote
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Jcarpentier is offline  
Location: USA
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 145
Female 
 
01-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Hello. I have not read the whole thread but here in the U.S. some cities have a leash law where the dog HAS to be leashed at all times. Other places allow voice command.

Personally, I would allow my dog off leash if trained well enough. I would hesitate on busy streets and such though. Not because I don't trust the dog but because I don't trust the people.
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,957
Male 
 
01-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Hello. I have not read the whole thread but here in the U.S. some cities have a leash law where the dog HAS to be leashed at all times. Other places allow voice command.

Personally, I would allow my dog off leash if trained well enough. I would hesitate on busy streets and such though. Not because I don't trust the dog but because I don't trust the people.
Yes, ours goes on a lead where it is mandatory and we rarely walk him on streets.

Places like this are more typical.

Reply With Quote
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,775
Female 
 
02-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Can I respectfully suggest that you consider a move up this way where people are well used to dogs and in four years (apart from one idiot) have never said anything like that to me.


Still these ignorants pop up everywhere these days and I'm just glad that we don't come across them often (or ever) but like I say we are a rural community and it just goes with the territory.


Large towns and cities are becomming populated by morons (mostly 'tho not everyone obviously)
Interesting what you say ... over the next couple or so years we are intending to downsize and move, not only for financial reasons but mainly because we are very doggy people and want to have several dogs - or at least a couple. We take our dogs everywhere with us and like to visit pubs. In Yorkshire, Somerset, Norfolk,, Devon, Wales as a whole, Exmoor, Shropshire, Herefordshire - all these places are totally welcoming of dogs - even in restaurants - and look at you as if you are half baked for asking if you can bring 2 large hairy wolves into their establishment!! Whereas we find across the Midlands, where we live, exactly the opposite. Dogs are frequently pariahs and they look at you here as if you are half-baked for asking!! There are several lovely exceptions, but as a rule we find that the Midlanders are far more anti dog than most other areas of the UK, particularly towards are choice of dogs. The worse thing we find is hostility towards our dogs from their dogs - all dogs on leads, but hostility from these people because THEIR dog has kicked off at our's and somehow this is OUR fault because we have an unusual type of dog - wtf is that about!! Anyway, we have had enough and are moving away where we feel people are more in tune with the way we think.
Reply With Quote
Losos
Dogsey Veteran
Losos is offline  
Location: Suffolk, England
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,077
Male  Silver Supporter 
 
03-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Whereas we find across the Midlands, where we live, exactly the opposite. Dogs are frequently pariahs and they look at you here as if you are half-baked for asking!!

It's not just the Midlands, in my opinion any large city and many towns have this attitude 'We are two legged humans and therefore we are God and always right and it's my right to think like this.



Aided and abetted by the grubby media it's not nice and you are doing the right thing. A village in any of those counties you mentioned will give you a big life style upgrade Good luck with your search
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 9 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Leads or not Besoeker General Dog Chat 27 23-10-2016 07:57 AM
Dog Leads Pidge General Dog Chat 35 22-11-2009 07:45 PM
Dog leads Kazz General Dog Chat 13 15-10-2009 08:19 PM
They don't need leads. chaz General Dog Chat 11 27-07-2009 03:44 PM
dog leads.... Collie Convert General Dog Chat 8 18-02-2009 08:37 PM

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top