Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I think it is absolutely barbaric.

I don't agree with ear cropping, tail docking and dew claw removal.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Personal opinion, I hate to see cropped ears I think it does nothing to enhance the appearance of a dog and I would hate to put a dog through an unnecessary anesthetic/ trauma just to have its ears cropped.

In the USA Miniature Schnauzers have their ears routinely cropped.This actually disguises poor ear carriage as some people here found when importing dogs only to find when bred from they have thrown dogs with flying ears.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
altering a dog,spay and neuter...is that nessesary?
For female dogs, who will not be bred from, then I do think it is a necessary procedure. I also think, with the high numbers of unwanted dogs, that neutering is needed... I don't think it is about people not taking responsibility...

I don't think spaying/neutering should be compared to ear cropping.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
altering a dog,spay and neuter...is that nessesary?taking body parts from a dog, so you will not have to be as responcible.makes life easyer,is there a difference, some would say its the most responcible thing to do.if your not so responcible yourself.just a thought.so..is this butchering your dog as well, maybe,but its eccepted,is it a nessesary proceedure?nope
I don't think cropping ears is in any way to be considered a responsible act and as I said it is not necessary. It's not always necessary for human females and males to "alter" themselves either, but it is done. Human hysterectomies and vasectomies are frequently done for convenience as well. We also pierce our bodies, have tattoos done, etc. etc., and these things are done for the look it gives. However, it is done of our free will.
I don't really think you can use the same arguments for or against cropping ears and spay/neuter surgery. Spay/neuter surgery is not always necessary and it depends on circumstances - it is frequently necessary because of the situation the dog lives in (dogs can't choose their owners or conditions). However, I can't believe cropping ears is necessary or done for any worthwhile "social" reason - it has no benefit to the dog, but it may give a psychological kick to the owner to have a dog with cropped ears.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I really don't think you can compare spaying and neutering to ear cropping. Many many years ago Estrelas were cropped to protect the ears from the wolves they would have to fight, then the shepherds began breeding for smaller ears, eliminating the need for cropping. If the ears are truly in danger, why could breeders not select for smaller ears?

This photo shows my two play fighting and showing the ear position they adopt when in an aggressive (or pseudo-aggressive pose). No need for cropping here!

Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I think it is absolutely barbaric.

I don't agree with ear cropping, tail docking and dew claw removal.
tbh, I have a dog that has been docked and his dew claws removed. Apparently the dew claw removal is much worse.

I am personally glad that my dog has his dew claws removed. I asked a vet about this, if they thought it really mattered and they said that they did see a lot of injuries and that it was far kinder to remove at 3 days old than at 3 years and the pain and healing time...the way my boy runs around in the woods I'd say theres a definite peace of mind that he doesnt have any to rip while having fun.

Tail issue is another matter/discussion altogether, last thread on that, that I was on got deleted
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2012, 06:23 PM
altering a dog,spay and neuter...is that nessesary?taking body parts from a dog, so you will not have to be as responcible.makes life easyer,is there a difference, some would say its the most responcible thing to do.if your not so responcible yourself.just a thought.so..is this butchering your dog as well, maybe,but its eccepted,is it a nessesary proceedure?nope
In my opinion ear cropping can't be compare in any way with spaying. The former has no use whatsoever other than for visual effect, the latter can save a bitch's life.

I have lost a number of bitches over the years with pyometra . As bitches age, with each successive season the womb undergoes changes, a thickening of the lining. The thickened womb lining can become inflamed and infected (pyometra). Therefore for me spaying could be considered to be preventative/palliative care.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
As another Poster said, i am glad ear cropping is banned in the UK.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
For female dogs, who will not be bred from, then I do think it is a necessary procedure. I also think, with the high numbers of unwanted dogs, that neutering is needed... I don't think it is about people not taking responsibility...

I don't think spaying/neutering should be compared to ear cropping.
People who couldnt care less what their dog does all day will not neuter anyway. People like me who have an entire male and care about being responsible is why he is not and will not be neutered, unless for medical reasons. He still wont be running around making puppies though!

Females suffer Pyo much more often than a dog dying from something to do with the testes so I do think I'll be spaying a female but not until she has fully matured and there isnt any other reason indicating I shouldnt.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
In my opinion ear cropping can't be compare in any way with spaying. The former has no use whatsoever other than for visual effect, the latter can save a bitch's life.

I have lost a number of bitches over the years with pyometra . As bitches age, with each successive season the womb undergoes changes, a thickening of the lining. The thickened womb lining can become inflamed and infected (pyometra). Therefore for me spaying could be considered to be preventative/palliative care.
Absolutely agree
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »