Female 

17-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Its alright for you, youve got a black dog! lol Might try cillit bang... teehee
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Jimmi helped himself to all our strawberries this year - husband and I had just one each More seriously though, he has a passion for plums and natch the tree was absolutely loaded this year. We had to throw so many away because we ended up having to shake them all off the tree. Still, better that than a small dog with a very poorly tummy.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
I think you might have to come here and explain that last bit to roxie, she practicly had a tantrum when I dragged her out of the last bush lol. I dont think she will care about the date lol
It's just a bit of ancient folklore with a grain of truth in it, and easy to remember when the season ends.

At least here in the south, the blackberries aren't up to much after then anyway, they are starting to mould and fester or are small bitter and stunted. Not suitable for human consumption, but that probably wouldn't bother a dog, or a hungry fox.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't know if it's just puppy exploring, but so far this year Willow has had:
strawberries
cherries
gooseberries
raspberries
blackberries
blueberries
rhubarb (which we strongly discouraged, and have now fenced off)
parsley
lemon balm
various mints
radishes
chives
spring onions

and shes had a jolly good time digging up the potatoes , although for some reason she just chews these and leaves them around the garden.

She has also made a determined attempt at the apples, plums and greengages in the nearest country park (not to mention the cowpats).

I really hope this is because of being a puppy, 'cos otherwise that garden is going to need wholescale movement of plants, and establishment of Willow no-go areas (probably as well as a digging pit for her).
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Seacrow View Post
I don't know if it's just puppy exploring, but so far this year Willow has had:
I won't repeat the list, but as dogs are omnivores, maybe she's trying to tell you she'd like a bit of salad in her diet?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:58 PM
My last dog Simba had a thing for oranges, he'd go all googly eyed and if I left them in the fruit bowl he'd pinch one, bite it once then play catch the squirt of juice when he pressed it with his paw It was funny to watch though

Tara also liked raspberries and ate them all out of my grandads garden one fine summers afternoon
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Good grief, never had a dog that liked berries before! Dougal doesn't bother with them, although he has been known to sample a banana.

Dino used to eat Melon rinds...but not sure that counts
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 03:27 AM

I have giggled my way through this
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Both of mine like all fruit and berries, but the pointer will take one or two fruit whereas the lab/Dane would eat them until there are no more, if we didn't make him stop. The pointer (who is the boss of the two) will confiscate fruit from poor old Frodo, and bury it in the veggie garden. Who could she have learned such control-freakery from????
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 10:31 AM
My grans dog helps herself to raspberries, tried giving one to Teg but he just spat it out!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >