Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Same here.. they are all ginormous the ones I meet - they do look bigger than both standard poodles and labs - maybe its the scruffy coat!
There's a huge one in our village - big shaggy coat and a lovely nature but must take some upkeep!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I didn't want a Lab or a Springer - but I quite like the concoction I have
Ha fair enough but I'm sure you asked yourself whether you could cope with both of their breed traits?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I suspect that a lot of the doodles I see are really poodles.
I reckon if it looks like a poodle and acts like a poodle...
I know one real lab x poodle and he`s a fatboy with a hairy face. He looks like an overweight wirehaired pointer.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Interestingly all the cockapoos I have seen look very similar---but if they were poodle clipped they'd look like poodles!

I like the mixes but I couldn't cope with the coats.

rune
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 09:43 AM
This is a Lab X Poodle belonging to a family friend

He cost DOUBLE what one of my (KC reg, pedigree) Boxers cost.

He was sold as a non-shedding breed. He is definitely not!

I'm mostly convinced he is a Springer X, not Poodle cross....
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 09:57 AM
My friend's son bought a 'labradoodle' and it sheds worse than any dog I've ever seen!! And it's almost as big as Bailey.

Lovely nature a real friendly livewire
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
This is a Lab X Poodle belonging to a family friend

Doesn't look very poodle does he

Someone I know has a family member in the US who use a labradoodle as a disability dog - he is perfect when in working mode (with his jacket on), and a complete nutter once the jacket is off
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I know as many bemused owners of other breeds as well as Labradoodles.

Siberian Husky puppies have been popular over the last few years, but the number of mature huskies you see now is low I know of one that was exchanged for a Lhasa Apso as the husky kept escaping and chasing cats.
There are also a number of Cocker Spaniel owners who are amazed that their working-bred dogs look nothing like the Cockers seen in books/magazines.

The problem does not so much lie with the breed/type of dog but the fact that people do not fully research the breed/type/cross or breeder.

I have 2 Labradoodles that are great pets - eager to learn, quick to housetrain and obedient (most of the time). When I got Ruby I was looking at getting a Standard Poodle, but the cost of getting one trimmed put me off - £50-60 every 6-8 weeks soon adds up

[IMG][/IMG]
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 04:15 PM
his happened to me today, a woman dropped her chow chow off at the kennels and asked if we had any labradoodles in as she wanted to see an adult one as she was on her way to pick her new labradoodle puppy up. I took her to see baily who is only 9 months old and very big. She looked and goes "oh no were not having one of those were having a mini one" i just laughed at her - mainly because of this post. she asked why it was funny so i infored her there really isnt such a thing and if somebody has bred some they should be shot for mating such a small dog with another so large. i was then told the breeder hadnt it was 2 labradoodles and they apparently make mini labradoodles when bred together , i just replied with "well you learn something new everyday"

have to say she was an idiot, she aslo pushed her very old chow chow out of the boot of car and it fell and has hurt its ankle and ended up with a bloody nose - ive got to take it to vets in the morning if its still lame on its leg
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Ha fair enough but I'm sure you asked yourself whether you could cope with both of their breed traits?
No but I have dealt with Rotties, Springers and GSD's in the past, even so I had no choice in the matter - there's a story behind him though..

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I don't think he is - if you have a look at most Srpinger x labs, they're lab look a likes with white on - I was hoping Louie would have feathering like a Springer but he doesn't and I've googled before and never found one that looks anything different from a mismarked lab.. he could be crossed with something else though but he looks pretty much like the lab x poodle that we saw at dogs unleashed, just with a little more coat thats all..
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >