Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ignasg
New Member!
Male 

16-08-2010, 08:08 PM

Puppy vaccines & import

Hello,
I have a lovely english bulldog puppy that my uncle is willing to give me. The problem is that he lives outside the UK (an EU country). As far as I know there are 3 necessary vaccines needed to import the puppy into the UK. However, after the third shot (rabies), the puppy has to wait 3 months before coming in.
My question is: can I get the puupy to come in before it is 3 months old and avoid the shot, then get it vaccinated inside the UK? (Heard it's legal from 1 source, but got a completely different answer from another.)
Cheers for your participation, any info will do!
Regards, Ignas
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 08:36 PM
No the puppy can't come in until after titers for rabies taken - it will probably be about 9 months old
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 08:58 PM
The only way for this to be possible is to bring the puppy in via 6 months quarantine & the puppy will be given the vaccine here in the UK

There is no legal way to bring a dog directly home without a valid Pet Passport & that means the dog has be be vaccinated for rabies outside the UK
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2010, 10:41 AM
For any dog including a puppy going into the UK it has to have the rabies shot, then one month after a blood test has to be done and this sent to UK for testing. If it comes back ok then it is another six months before the dog can enter UK. So really all in all you are looking at seven months all in.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 01:14 PM
No. There`s no way round it, unless your uncle has the dog vaccinated overseas and waits 7 months.