Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Fighting guinea pigs!

Hi all

We have had our 2 male guinea pigs for a year, there were babies together. Recently though they have started fighting and humping Although no one has been seriously hurt they do both have very minor scratches and I don't want it getting any worse

Now we are not sure what to do!! As they have grown up together and shout to each other if one is out the cage being held would it distress them to be kept in separate cages where they could still hear each other? Would it be better to rehome one of them?

They haven't been neutered but that is very unlikely to resolve the issue if I have them done and it could make them worse and reject each other completely!

If anyone has any advice please let me know!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2010, 01:05 PM
My Ludo is like that, his former owner kept him and his brother and when they began to fight, she had them both neutered... sadly they still fought, she seperated, reintroduced, but to no avail... Ludo went to the rescue, then came to me and now lives with two girlies Prudence and Thandie, he still is a fiesty sod, but they keep him in check!!
Some boys are happier alone, I have pairs of boys and singles and neutered boys that are with females...
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Neutering won't change anything in piggies just that they can't make females preg.

I've had no problems atall with males and can have 6 of them living together even though 2 of them are neutered and life in with the girls at times!

What size of cage are they in? Also do you have 2 of everything because sometimes they can become teratorial (spelling sorry) over toys, hidey houses etc.

I know some people put vics on their bums so they smell the same to lessen the chance of fighting but like I said I've had no experiance atall of males fighting. Just been very lucky I think!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 07:06 AM
We had the same problem and ended up with a split run and a home base each---so the could see each other and even lie close but not fight. Ours were brothers and were fine for ages.

Other option is neuter both and get a female each!

rune
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
They have a 4ft indoor cage and they have 2 of everything, except water bottle!. They will share food so I don't think they are fighting over territory

Typical but they have been fine today I did wonder if they are just working out who is the dominant one? Do they have a pack order like dogs do??
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
They do have an order to them so maybe it was just sorting out who is the top piggy. We had a big black boar called Wesley who always had to put our other boar Brian in his place when they met in the yard. After that he was fine around him but it was the same routine when ever they ran into each other anew. The girls were much better!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Ahh I am sure that is what it is then Lets hope they settle soon as it is driving the dogs bonkers listening to them
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Be careful because ours started to injure each other. They ended up with scabby bits. Also can't be much fun for either of them if they are evenly matched!

rune
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 07:26 PM
So far it is just a lot of humping, squeaking and rumble strutting, no one has been hurt at all but I would certainly separate them if they started injuring each other
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I was always advised that once you have a blood injury its gone to far and you must seperate, advise I have always followed. I have two boys at the moment, who are handbags at dawn with each other, but no blood, so they remain together...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >