Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vase
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-09-2007, 08:48 PM

Easiest Breed

Obviously each breed has its 'thing'. Border Collies are good at flyball, spaniels are good at retreive etc....just wondered what you guys thought was the easiest breed to show and handle in the ring?
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
A very difficult one as any dog on the day can be off colour etc and not show well however easy the dog is to get ready for show. We have shown various breeds over the years and to date our Japanese Spitz the easiest, they are a very gentle breed and very quiet so easy to prepare and show, but think most folk will have another breed to put here too however its an interesting idea this thread x
Vase
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
I didnt know if there was a breed that was easier than others to train in ringcraft. I show my Afghan (badly) and just wondered.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Afghans are an easy breed to show. You hold their head still, they dont need to wag a tail (although this holding it up over their back is creeping in) and they generally move easily too!! I think breeds that are "stood" rather than free standing are easier.
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I think it's an individual thing and not so much a breed thing, some dogs love to show and others hate it. I agree that free standing is more difficult than stacking, Siberians are a free standing breed, if they are food obsessed then it's easy but if not it's realy difficult to keep their attention in the ring.

I remember at an open show a number of years ago, the judge for some reason, wouldn't allow anyone to bait their dogs, it was hard enough for us with the Sibes, we were making all kinds of strange noises to try to get their attention but the Boxers were hillarious, there wasn't a bit of liver to be seen and the dogs just wouldn't stand at all.
Vase
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Afghans get stacked too. Mines more intrested in mating than anything else, including ham and chicken etc. He does ok in the ring but not at home or at ringcraft training so we're not going anymore. Waste of time.

There was a lady there tonight with three pointers. Each was about 5 months old and they acted like they've been doing it since birth
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Vase View Post
Afghans get stacked too. Mines more intrested in mating than anything else, including ham and chicken etc. He does ok in the ring but not at home or at ringcraft training so we're not going anymore. Waste of time.

There was a lady there tonight with three pointers. Each was about 5 months old and they acted like they've been doing it since birth
I think thats pointers for you, my setters are little rascals at training and shows but my pointer stands like she's been doing it all her life, I got her at 6 months and showed her immediately with just 1 ringcraft lesson -she went BPIB, she was so well behaved.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
I think it depends on the individual dog, some of my dogs have been a doddle to show, others of the same breed a nightmare!
Becky
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 08:56 AM
My girls which are Cavaliers are very different from one to the other, Sophia is a terrific show dog enjoys what she does and performs to perfection, Gala enjoyed her time showing until she had a scare and unfortunately she chooses not to show anymore, Cassie a show off all around likes to strut her stuff and performs gracefully.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I showed my friens Standard Wire Haired Dachshund, for her, I found it a very easy breed to show.

Aslo showed her Vizsla for her, an other easy breed to show.

Now Boxers on the other hand are one of the most diffecult to show.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >