View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Oh dear, not a good update at all, poor Tai, he's really going through it - as are all of you.

Hang in there and try to keep positive.
xxx
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2013, 05:43 PM
So sorry to hear of the probs that your lad is having but I'm having trouble making sense of the vets treatment of him, especially now that you suspect a perforated bowel. He needs surgery to remove the obstruction and repair the bowel,it cannot repair itself and it will kill him. Yes the anesthetic is a very severe risk to his heart but the septicemia will kill him as well. And with the plastic still in there it may well cause a lot more damage to his bowel as it passes through.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh dear, not a good update from your last past after having just read the previous one and got all happy again for you Nikki.

I'm with you on that Metronidazole (it's a wonder drug).How long has it been now since anything came out the other end then?? Oh Lordy, my vibes have now been put on mega strength to get this poor lad through this.xxxxxxx (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))) for you Nikki.xxxx
Its a week now. This is not good, but the boy is bright in himself. Just about to take them out for walkies. Tai's back end is less "collapsy" this morning, he is not staggering so much, and he and Ben slept together for the first time again last night - which seemed to help.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Oh she'll drink anything with alcohol, so you have to watch her around the anti freeze
Very well done to Tai and you 2 for seeing him through this. Like you say when this poo comes you'll need Pickfords, and glad it is OH with the task of sorting through it looking for foreign objects that tripe should have him going
You know me too well!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
So sorry to hear of the probs that your lad is having but I'm having trouble making sense of the vets treatment of him, especially now that you suspect a perforated bowel. He needs surgery to remove the obstruction and repair the bowel,it cannot repair itself and it will kill him. Yes the anesthetic is a very severe risk to his heart but the septicemia will kill him as well. And with the plastic still in there it may well cause a lot more damage to his bowel as it passes through.
It's not the vet who has put him on Metro, it's us. He cannot have surgery unfortunately to remove the plastic, it is too risky and I will be quite honest and say too expensive - the bill has reached nearly a thousand already, and an operation would be another thousand, it just is not going to happen. The chances of him surviving another GA are virtually zero. The septocaemia will only kill him if it goes unnoticed and untreated. Having lost one dog to septo, we know the signs, we know exactly what to look out for. The metro is the best chance of knocking the septo right on the head, as it is an anaerobic antibiotic which gets right to the guts ... literally! It is Tai's best chance of surviving this, honest injun! Yes, the plastic has and will continue to cause damage to his bowel as it passes through - his stomach is badly lacerated and ulcerated from the plastic going through that into the duodenum. All we can do is keep feeding him his 3 meals a day of raw tripe and a little cooked chicken and pray for a poo!!

The minute he is clearly in acute pain, stops eating etc., is when we would call it a day - hopefully that time will never come, and we will get him through this. He is as tough as old boots this dog, so if anyone can make it, Tai can!!

Sorry if this sounds brutal, but I feel very strongly about keeping dogs alive in pain and pouring unnecessary money down the drain, only to line the vets pockets and put the poor dog through stress and misery for nought.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Was dreading opening this thread as no recent update and feared the worst, so glad to hear he is still in there batting.
Lots of love and hugs from all the gang here

xxxxxx
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Hoping for a good recovery! Soon! Also praying for a poo, never done this before.
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
It's not the vet who has put him on Metro, it's us. He cannot have surgery unfortunately to remove the plastic, it is too risky and I will be quite honest and say too expensive - the bill has reached nearly a thousand already, and an operation would be another thousand, it just is not going to happen. The chances of him surviving another GA are virtually zero. The septocaemia will only kill him if it goes unnoticed and untreated. Having lost one dog to septo, we know the signs, we know exactly what to look out for. The metro is the best chance of knocking the septo right on the head, as it is an anaerobic antibiotic which gets right to the guts ... literally! It is Tai's best chance of surviving this, honest injun! Yes, the plastic has and will continue to cause damage to his bowel as it passes through - his stomach is badly lacerated and ulcerated from the plastic going through that into the duodenum. All we can do is keep feeding him his 3 meals a day of raw tripe and a little cooked chicken and pray for a poo!!

The minute he is clearly in acute pain, stops eating etc., is when we would call it a day - hopefully that time will never come, and we will get him through this. He is as tough as old boots this dog, so if anyone can make it, Tai can!!

Sorry if this sounds brutal, but I feel very strongly about keeping dogs alive in pain and pouring unnecessary money down the drain, only to line the vets pockets and put the poor dog through stress and misery for nought.
That makes a bit more sense now. I have fingers crossed for your lad that the plastic gets expelled without too much damage to his bowel. With luck it has not and will not perforate the bowel.I agree with you re dogs being kept alive in pain when there is no hope. I've always believed in the old saying about rather a week too early than a day too late. Good luck with Tai.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Was dreading opening this thread as no recent update and feared the worst, so glad to hear he is still in there batting.
Lots of love and hugs from all the gang here

xxxxxx
Me too.

Thanks for the update Nikki.
x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
That makes a bit more sense now. I have fingers crossed for your lad that the plastic gets expelled without too much damage to his bowel. With luck it has not and will not perforate the bowel.I agree with you re dogs being kept alive in pain when there is no hope. I've always believed in the old saying about rather a week too early than a day too late. Good luck with Tai.
Apols - I'm not very good at explaining things at the best of times, and at the moment things are definitely not so good!

However ... two bits of good news today: firstly (and I know my brother would laugh at this because it is so me) ... I am putting the most important news first, and stating that TAI HAS DONE A POO!!!!!!!

A massive, horrible green and brown slimey great dollop of foul-looking and smelling faeces, reminiscent of the days when his predecessor was fed on kibble, but poo he has done! This is amazingly good news ..

secondary to that ... my brother is doing well following massive surgery to remove a tumour, and I am going to see him tomorrow!

So am just about to pop out to get some suitable beverage to celebrate this!!
Page 16 of 27 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »