Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 01:06 AM

Tips to help me sleep!

Didn't know what to call this thread, as I have no issues actually sleeping.....

Basically when I get to bed I fall asleep really fast, and I love sleeping.

My issue is... GETTING to bed... it's ridiculous, doesn't seem to matter how tired I am, how early I have to be up, or anything... for some reason I CANNOT seem to get myself to bed before the early hours...

Alfie goes to bed at 10pm.

I always think that I will put him to bed at 10pm, then put pjs on, chill out for half an hour, then go to bed and read for a short while, and can be asleep by about 11pm.

Why can I never do this?

All that happens is I stay up - not doing anything important - then wake up feeling really tired and slow the next day.

I know the "simple" solution is "just go to bed earlier" - but for some reason I can't seem to talk myself into actually doing it!

Help!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Hmmmmm...... self-discipline is the answer, and you don't appear to have any. Not sure what to suggest......
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2011, 02:33 PM
How about a second alarm clock in your living room to set for the time you want to go to bed, and then sticking to that when it goes off? That way you can't get distracted by something mundane and forget what the time is. Never tried this myself, it was just an idea I had when I read your post.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Is it a problem if you aren't affected by it? most people have a natural sleeping pattern and it sounds as though that is what yours is.

I'm much the same and very rarely go to bed before midnight. I typically go up to bed between 12-1am regardless of what time I'm due to be up in the morning, which is as early as 6am if I'm working and got to walk the dogs before hand.

I never feel tired with the above routine. On my days off I get up around 9-10am to balance it out.

"Forcing" yourself to try and sleep rarely works. Just go with the flow if you feel fine.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Do you have a tv in the bedroom? I often have to force myself to bed at night so put the tv on in bed & watch something like "How it's made" ........... I'm usually asleep within minutes & set the tv to turn itself off
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:00 PM
LOL Vicki, it's not that as such, I don't have OCD, but have a "compulsive personality" or so they call it, so can just be harder talking myself into things than others, it's not just a self dicipline issue

coventrycatfish - the issue is I am in my room at that time right next to my bed it's not like I have to drag myself miles

labradork - well my only thing is that I am tired a lot, but apart from that it is a sort of routine now I suppose! Alfie also hates mornings so don't get up mega early for him either lol

Tillymint - I don't actually don't have space for one either!
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm exactly the same. I don't know what to suggest. Sleep on the couch? lmao!
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Kammi -

GO TO BED!

I helped
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 11:00 PM
pawsonboard LOL that made me laugh!

The other thing I forgot to mention is the time I work...

I work different times (shifts) but generally I am finishing around 8:30/9, so then by the time I am home and had tea etc, I am then up for a while.... but then when I have to get up at like 7... i struggle
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2011, 08:56 AM
kammi - I know the feeling! Because I am two hours ahead of the UK I want to put off going to bed for as long as I can, and I frequently found myself still "chatting" on the computer at 1 or 2am - not unknown to still be up even later as I just did not want to miss anything.

I am currently forcing myself to go to bed as soon as possible after 11pm as I have to be up before 7am - my days of being a lie-abed are of necessity curtailed now. So far it is working but mainly because it gets dark so early and it is cold, and lack of sleep catching up.

Then, like this morning, I find three or four pages of posts that I have missed - not just on Dogsey but elsewhere - plus the late news to catch up on before reading the morning papers online.

It seems as if I am always "chasing my tail" as it were, to try and catch up...