Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 11:37 AM

Nervous pup

Hello everyone I am a newbie.
I have just got a rescue border collie cross. he is 6 months old and is fine if a bit nervy.
What I want to know is this. Will he be able to gain his confidence esp around other dogs. I think he may well have been attacked at an early age. He is fine sometimes and will play with other dogs. But when he comes up to dogs or they come up to him he immedialtly goes on his back and show his belly.
He does so want to play. . .how can I help him gain confidence? Is it just a case of keep walking him and meeting other dogs. He is also very nervous around traffic.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Bruce was submissive alot of the time, but over the period he's gaining more confidence, we don't make a big thing out of it, we just let other dogs come round him and as I say he's not dropping over onto his back everytime now.
Plus with car/traffice, again he seemed worried about that, but I took him lead walking at least twice daily around the roads, now he's not showing the signs so much.
It just a case of reassuring them IMO he's been on a bus now...which he hated at first but now he's fine, next step the train.
I just say 'It's ok' in a soft voice, he seems more reassured now. Sounds like your doing the right thing. Enjoy your little one
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks youngstevie
I have never had a rescue dog before, I have just lost my wonderful Boxer Jake and could not live in the house without a dog so we opted for the rescue dog and I am so glad I did he is so loving. We are thinking of a pup maybe next year. I want a Newfoundland but I need to save up the pennies first!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Thanks youngstevie
I have never had a rescue dog before, I have just lost my wonderful Boxer Jake and could not live in the house without a dog so we opted for the rescue dog and I am so glad I did he is so loving. We are thinking of a pup maybe next year. I want a Newfoundland but I need to save up the pennies first!!
Anytime Hun, we have three, Bruce is macho when with his 'Girls' not so macho when alone.....but he's getting there with his confidence. I know yours will too.......By the way Well done for rescueing, bet he's a beauty
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 03:37 PM
He is If I knew how to post photo I would but I am a bit thick with computers
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Elaineb, I had a nervous rescued Alaskan Malamute X for ten years. She did a lot of submissive peeing even with humans and would flip on her back.

I think your best bet is to keep your dog on lead. The dog is not used to you and you are not used to him and he is obviously worried about other dogs. This seems to be a one way ticket to a lost or dead dog.

I recommend that you start leash training your dog. Teach him the general commands. Make him feel good about himself. A lot of positive attention and treats. Give him something to be proud of and think about other than his worries. Collies are working dogs and they need that kind of structure.

During the training (after he seems more confident) maybe take him by other dogs on his lead. It is a slow process but in time you will be able to let him off lead and he will most likely be a great mixer with other dogs. He may always be a bit shy.

It sounds like your willing to put in the work. Good for you! I loved my Malamute X so much. Maybe more for the work. For how far she came. I have tow rescue GSDs now and the same ethics have worked with them.

If you have trouble training on your own, take him to a training class. That might be a great way for him to see other dogs in a controlled environment and learn to listen and focus on you. Yes, I'd try that.

Cheers,
Alison
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi hon,

I have an extremely nervous Shiba Inu who has improved a lot over the two years she has been with me.

I guess my best advice would be to adopt a no-nonsense attitude, and try not to pander to your dogs nervousness.

This approach was recommended to me, and it's worked.

I also recommend lots of calm, steady exposure, little and often, to the things your pup is afraid of.

Good luck, and bless you for rescuing x
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:17 PM
That's right on Vicki! A lot of these dogs do calm down with someone who they can trust to be their leader. Don't try to protect him but make him feel like you are strong.

Also, if he is having any problems with humans, have them avoid eye contact with him. Eye contact is a dominance thing with dogs. He will start all the submissive behavior. And when they come into your home or meet your dog, tell them to wait until they sit down before petting or giving attention to the dog. This was one of the reasons my dog would pee. People would stoop to pet her and she would want to show them that she was submissive. When the people are sitting then it gives them more of an even footing as well as reducing excitment.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I was told recently that *yawing* around a nervous dog indicates you are submissive and not a threat

I too agree that pondering too much to your dogs nervousness can make it worse, and petting your dog when it is in a nervous state is a big no no as all you are doing is reninforcing/rewarding the behaviour, you need to be calm but positive so petting your dog when it is showing the desireable behaviour is the way to go.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Elaine this article by Shadowboxer may be of help, the method can be adapted to habituate your dog to whatever makes him nervous.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8050
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >