View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BullTerriers
New Member!
Female 

04-09-2014, 12:11 PM

When Were You Ready To Get The Next Dog...?

Just a general question.

I have had dogs all my life and only once gone for a longish period without one. Sometimes two dogs have overlapped, so have rarely been dogless in 50 years.

Our 14 year old dog was PTS on Monday. My kids were so distraught and one of them asked on Tuesday to look at a rehoming centre's website. He had our beautiful dog all his life, and like me, seems to be struggling to be without a dog.
He is quite a mature kid, and explained he will never replace her, but having a new dog will give him something else to think about, beyond his grief. I get that.

As we looked at the dogs featured on the site, I was heartened to see so many lovely looking dogs, some of which would fit our criteria. And I know home checks etc take a while to complete.

I had a friend with an elderly dog who decided to go to a rehoming centre 'just to have a look', put her name down, and pass a home check so she could get a dog sooner when her old lady died. Predictably, she had the home check and came home with her second dog and her oldie lived another couple of years.

Once I had a staffie who died aged only six - she had been our whole life for that time, and after she died, we couldn't even face getting another dog for a year or two. In that year or two we felt like our lives fell apart. We only ever felt back to normal when we got another dog.

So - when were you ready to get a dog after your dog died?
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2014, 12:23 PM
We got our miniature Schnauzer straight after our Cairn died as my mum couldn't bear our sad faces ! I was about 13 so can relate to your son, it did exactly what he said and gave us a focus.
I'm older now and have my own mini schnauzer boy and would be lost without my buddy as it's just us in my house and would seem very quiet. So i think I would get another fairly soon.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2014, 12:54 PM
When my 5 year old Tibetan Spaniel died suddenly at the end of March this year I said I wouldn't have another dog, but my 8 month old Shar-Pei girl was so lonely that I changed my mind and at the beginning of August brought home a 9 month old Miniature Schnauzer boy.

I'm pleased I changed my mind because my Pei girl is so happy now and far less trouble than when she was on her own and she adores her little brother. It's a match made in heaven!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Somehow we seem to end up with three at a time, one old, one middle and one baby that way it's never an issue and they all help each other out
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2014, 02:01 PM
I haven't been without a dog since 1958. I've always had more than one dog, except when I lost 3 dogs within a year & I was left with only one. Since then I have always had at least 2 dogs & now have 7(+ one guest for 3/4 nights a week)

It did take me several months when I had just the one dog to make up my mind to have another & I have never regretted it. I always think that dogs enter our lives when appropriate & maybe your next dog is waiting for you out there.

Good luck & I do hope you decide to bring a new companion into your home sooner rather than later
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-09-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm like Imana, have several usually, all at different stages, although my 2 oldies are litter sisters, but you never know whats going to happen and whats round the corner, I have their daughters (one from each) as well, there is just under a year between them
When I lost my old Tawney, nearly 9 years ago, she was the only dog, her companion ( retired racing grehyhound) had died very young aged only 5 of a heart attack, and I was looking for another Utonagan, and just couldn't find one, I found a litter just before Tawney passed away, sadly she never met them, they came home the Saturday after she passed away on the Monday.
The house was awful without a dog, was relieved when Saturday came and I could go and get my 2 baby Utes.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Um, if you maybe need the reassurance that it's not disrespectful to get another dog so soon I'll give it to you. Think of it as honoring your other dog's memory in giving another dog a forever home.

We had that happen with our cat Kashi. He was a ginger tabbie and loved by the dogs, the cats and all the humans of the house. He was far more than the average cat and when he was killed by a car even my hubby, not given to emotion was totally crushed.

After a few months of tearing up over every orange cat image, even seeing the name in the cereal aisle at the store, we went to just "look" at the local shelter. Levon the ginger was waiting for us. He's not Kashi but you know he took over the spirit.

I would say yes...just take a look on PetFinder or another website today, just to look of course.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2014, 03:29 PM
A Glimpse of the Rainbow Bridge

Was it today; yesterday; a week; a month ago?
There are no days; there are no nights since my furchild died.
I reach to pet my furry friend who is no longer here.
My heart is broken; my arms are empty; how many tears I've cried.

I leave the house, into the lane we always walked together.
The rain is falling. I notice not. Just more tears on my face.
She used to lead me down the lane. Her spirit leads me still.
But we go a different way to a very strange and different place.

I stand before a rustic bridge I've never seen before.
I stop. I know I'm not to cross. But why, I want to know?
And then the rain suddenly stops. I look up into the clouds.
I look down. The bridge is gone and in its place is a rainbow.

I look across the Rainbow Bridge and see a joyful sight;
Thousands of healthy furchildren playing with my beloved pet.
I want to run and love her, but I'm rooted to the spot.
She looks and wags her tail and I hear her bark, "Not yet."

And then her bark turns to a voice and I hear her say,
"You cared for me, you played with me and loved me to the end.
I'm healthy now, don't cry for me. I'll meet you here again.
Others need your love and care. I'm sending you a friend."

I rub my eyes and the rainbow is again a rustic bridge.
I send a prayer for that quick glimpse to the loving God above.
I hear a noise and glance back down. I can't believe my eyes.
Across the bridge, my darling pet sent a furbaby for me to love.

I pick up the furry bundle, hold her close to my dampened cheek.
She nuzzles my neck, kisses my tears. It's true love at first sight.
Not to replace the one who's gone; another who needs my love and care.
My eyes are drawn upward to see a Rainbow Bridge in radiating light.

Author Unknown
One of my favourites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Absolutely beautiful, not being able to 'be' without a dog after they have passed is surely the greatest tribute to them and what they meant to you
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Lost my last beautiful girl on the Monday, fetched this little darling home on the Thursday.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >