Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Is my dog vicious or just protective?

I am really upset in that some of my so-called friends have told me to put my little Candy down as she actually bit someone yesterday. Now I would like to explain it as best I can to put you in the clear picture.

I was taking the three dogs out for their walk yesterday afternoon and since it was such a lovely day we walked further than expected so the sun was just going down, but it does get dark here very quickly. We were walking through a field (on a dirt road track)when two men came out of one car to go to another car (whether it was out of petrol or something I have no idea as it has been there all day). One of the men walked past us with no problem whatsoever (and we were not that near to them), when the other one started walking towards us. As I was hurrying since it was getting dark I was walking faster than the dogs as they were not in a hurry to go home, so they were behind me and on leads. All of a sudden Candy went beserk and actually bit and drew blood from the man who we had previously passed but had turned and was behind us. I was obviously upset and apologised profusely and he said that it was ok then went back to his car. As far as I can see she was protecting me because I could see no reason why the man would have passed us then start coming up behind us. As I say so called friends have said she should be put down, but she is not vicious and has never shown any tendency in this respect in the two years I have had her.

I am really upset about this so would like your truthful opinions and I hope I have made myself clear enough to see it from my point of view that she was only protecting a lone woman from two men in the middle of a field as it was getting dark.

Please advise.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2009, 09:20 AM
In this instance, I would give her a very large treat, and tell your friend to mind their own business.

It makes you wonder what those men where up to, and maybe she (candy) picked up on some not so nice intentions they had.

I would not worry over this, if the men left without complaint , there is nothing lost.

Just be a little more vigilent with her in the future to make sure this is not something developing.

But it seems to me, she picked up on a potenal situation, and was doing her job in looking out for you.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I think she must have sensed something. If she found it frightening thats maybe why she reacted. I would just be a little more aware with her around strangers, I certainly wouldn't have her PTS especially if the other party was ok and it is something she's never done before. xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi Trish you say...
was getting dark I was walking faster than the dogs as they were not in a hurry to go home, so they were behind me and on leads
...if the dogs were on leads the man must have got pretty close to get nipped.

I can tell from your post that you felt very uncomfortable with the situation you found yourself in, and as Jackie says your dogs will have been aware of your unease and may have become fearful and reacted accordingly.

I doubt very much that Candy would nip anyone again unless she found herself in similar circumstances and I certainly don't think she should be put down for defending you and herself from a perceived threat.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I will be truthful in that I never had any intention of putting her to sleep, it has just been hurtful to be told that. Normally Candy cowers behind me if strangers are around as she was so badly treated before I got her that she still does not have confidence in the human race.

To put this in a bit of perspective we went the same walk this morning and she met four other walkers and completely ignored them, even though two of them stopped to stroke the dogs she just sat well out of the way and waited until it was time to start walking again. She really hasn't a vicious bone in her body as has been proven time and again just this one incident which I really believe she was protecting me and her brother and sister.

Thanks for your input. I have always been wary with Candy and strangers as she is terrified of them but it was the way that he had already walked past us and then turned back even walking to the other side of the dirt track where we were that must have spooked her.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Well speaking honestly, if one of mine did that I'd be praising them. The thought of one man coming towards me with another behind me (having turned round) would of made me very wary let alone the dogs.

I know for definate that two of mine wouldn't of been happy with that senario, and they wouldn't of been very friendly towards them

Forget what your so-called-friends say they were not there. If it had of been a unprovoked attack the guy would be shouting from the roof tops I'm sure, not saying ''thats ok''.
I'm not suggesting they were up to no good, but it seems to me that the guy himself realised what he's done to get bitten.
Dogs sense things, maybe she sensed some kind of danger.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for your reassurances, it really helps. Also he must have been close as you say Minihaha because she is only a poodle after all.

You have given me support when I desperately needed it being so upset over the whole situation. All the dogs must have sensed that I was nervous because I do not like being in an open unlit place after dark and although it was my fault that it was later than expected as we had been having such a nice walk for over an hour, the dogs were tired (which is the point of the exercise as well), I will just have to ensure that we don't get carried away with our walks for longer than we should in future - lesson learned.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:48 AM
If that was me, I would praise the dog as she is protecting you by the sounds of it.

Maybe you felt uneasy in the situation and she picked up on this, or even she just felt uneasy with a man behind and infront of you invading your space.

I think your dog has done a good job, and I also would love to know what the men were doing...
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I would hope that either of my two would do the same if we were put into that situation...

If the man was close enough to be nipped/bitten; then he was too close!!
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I completely agree with everyone else, praise her and just keep an eye on her in the future x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >