View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I would get embroiled in this, but basically, what borderdawn and clo are saying is what i think.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
I dont condone any of this & neither would any genuine sab.

Its the hunts that treat their hounds appalingly, destroyed if they fail to make the grade, destroyed if theyre sick & when they retire, at around 5-7!!

Its disgusting, im shocked some so called dog lovers arent outraged by this?

Clifford Pellow was a professional Huntsman until 1990, heres his account of how hounds are treated...

Dogs past their prime (generally, older than five or six years) are also killed. Altogether, says Pellow, out of a pack of 60 animals, eight to ten are disposed of every season.

How does a dog fail his or her master? There are many ways: A hound that won't draw (search for a fox) when a fox goes into covert but sits outside waiting for somebody else to do it, he's no good to anyone. Nor is the hound that won't speak (bark) - because there's no point a hound finding a fox if it won't tell you about it. Or you might have a hound that speaks at everything that moves - at a blackbird flying into a tree. Babbling it's called

Many of the injuries to the dogs are dealt with by the hunt servants. 'We consider ourselves, somewhat, as veterinary surgeons, which of course we aren't. We don't have the competence or the equipment, such as local anaesthetic. Yet, I myself have stitched a hound with ordinary needle and cotton. She was called Tablet and you could see the fleshy part of her ribs underneath a barbed wire tear. Happily, she made a good recovery and the vet congratulated me on a good job'.

On another occasion, he used a razor blade to sever a toe that had been dangling by the cord through much of an active day's hunting. ‘I think it was then she felt it, for she gave out with a yelp. I washed, bandaged and put some cream on it and she was out again in a fortnight.'

Training the younger hounds and rebuking older ones for loss of concentration is also a bruising business. To scold a pup, the servant seizes the culprit and strikes him with the handle of the whip across the ribs - firmly enough, says Pellow, to raise a row of bumps. At the same time, the youngster is verbally reprimanded. An older dog who, say, shows interest in a sheep, will feel the whip's leash. 'And I can tell you, I've had a whip around me a couple of times, that it does smart a bit.’

oh yes the hunts love their animals

well our hounds dont get destroyed when they are past it, we still have hounds at 9 years old (think thats our oldest) we often swap hounds with other hunts, for instance one has just gone to stud somewhere.

yes people do get rid of hounds that dont work, just like people who get rid of collies who dont work on the farm, or greyhounds who dont run etc. it happens everywhere when the dog isnt good enough for the job it is meant to do.

alot of working folk tend to do work on the dogs themselves, its not just hunt people and their hounds.

we dont whack our young ones when theyre training or our old ones. like i said in my previous post we whip around the area.

ive been hit with a whip, yeah it hurts that was us pratting about though
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
I agree with x clo x
thanks

ah Dawn you and I are poles apart when it comes to animal welfare issues lol. I condemn anyone who threats hounds inhumanely... you on the other hand only condemn one set....I wont even go into our differences wildlife issues!

By the way, Hounds can make Great pets, given the chance , i knew someone who had a rescued foxhound & a lady on another forum i frequent lol, has 2 rescues!

I dont think they can be anymore of a challenge than my Siberians.

im sure they could make great pets, however there are not many people who would be able to cope with a hound thats been working for 7 years and been allowed to kill. i think personally they would be more of a challenge than your siberians.. they are used to living in massive packs, sleeping with at least 5 from anywhere up to 30 other dogs. do you think its fair on that dog after being kenneled for 7 years with other dogs, been exercised for hours and hours a day, free reign, to be put in a house on his own, with nowhere near the exercise theyre used to getting?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I've tried not to get drawn into this, honestly
Firstly I like Jackie, Dawn, Chloe, Steve and Others do NOT base our opinions or facts on propaganda, none of us are ill informed or have been fed anything. I think I speak for all the forementioned when I say its absed on REAL life experience, involvement or knowledge. So stop being so patronising for starters.
Secondly, hunt sabs in it for the love of animals? pull the other one, the majority all have a chip on their shoulder about it being an elitist issue over class, and then an equally large portion just like the brawl...no better than football hooligans really. I come from a very working class run of the mill family, no large earners, no blue blood. A range of butchers, labourers, hairdressers, office staff, and then some involved in equine management, a publican too. Nothing remotely middle let alone upper class. All in support of fox hunting, a lot have followed the hunt on foot or horseback, the relatives who own & run their own stables were quite heavily involved with a few fairly local hunts...lots of their ex residents were hunters or there abouts infact. So none of us are snobs who do it for an ego boost. None are, sick or un-evolved individuals either (again, thanks for that one). In regards to my family I would say half are in it for the horse P.o.v as riders and enthusiasts, a small percent follow as its a family thing, then a vast amount is in support of pest control. As foxes ARE vermin, and they ARE a problem. And I live semi rurally, on the edge of the city brinking out into rural and farmlands, since the hunting ban they HAVE come further and further in and HAVE become more of a problem.
Now back to hunt sabs, non violent? All for the animal lovers? This is why as a child I was spat in the face of when at a hunt meet? This is on another occasion, why my great grandmother, at the time in her early eighties was harrassed with sexual remarks and a bunch of inbreds exposing themselves to she and her friends as they ate mince pies at a hunt meet...not in any way participating in the actual hunt at all? This is why on another occasion some years ago, my grandfather who was infact at the time terminally ill with cancer though still fairly mobile was viciously assaulted for simply BEING at the stables the hunt was collecting horses from?
I've seen sabs chase hounds into roads of oncoming traffic, seen horses slip on barb wire that's been set, heard but did not witness some anti's kick in a set which the fox had bolted from but the patterdale was still down.
Peaceful? In it for animal welfare? Now who's been filled with propaganda.
Fox hunting has it's place, for it IS the most effective way of fox control. By the hunt itself it ensures the healthy, the fit, and the young, survive and go on. And trust me, they do infact I would say a vast majority of hunts see the fox getting away. Maintained and ran properly a hunt should only take out the weak, the elderly, basically the same as the culling in deer herds we do!
Shooting does NOT work, it is NOT precise enough. I've seen even experienced marksmen miss. Fox goes off to die, not pleasant. Trapping? Definitely not. I found a fox strung up by its throat and front left leg earlier this year in a lovely snare, really a nicer option.
Hunting equates to the determination of survival of the fittest, in regards to the fox, as I have said...the strongest and fittest do escape! And those that don't? Are culled quickly and humanely just as with any other species being managed.
I've witnessed a kill only once. It's not ripped to pieces whilst crying and screaming as is being put across here. How ridiculous. Lead hound, or whatever turn of coin you'd like to use, in the chase will snap the neck. Just like a terrier on rodents, or rabbits and so forth. Then yes often it does take place, fox is LONG gone by this point. I've also never seen such crap as exploited in the fore shown video of a fox being dug out and launched into a pack of hounds. Everytime I know a terrier has been used, said fox is shot. I've only ever witnessed a terrier being put to ground in the context when a land owner has had HUGE fox problems and is determined a cull must take place.
In regards to the hounds? Well i've had enough relatives puppy walk them, they are enough trouble at this age...I'm not sure how well they would adapt post a life within a pack, and out hunting.
This is all ridiculous, it really really is.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Firstly I like Jackie, Dawn, Chloe, Steve and Others do NOT base our opinions or facts on propaganda, none of us are ill informed or have been fed anything. I think I speak for all the forementioned when I say its absed on REAL life experience, involvement or knowledge. So stop being so patronising for starters.
Secondly, hunt sabs in it for the love of animals? pull the other one, the majority all have a chip on their shoulder about it being an elitist issue over class, and then an equally large portion just like the brawl...no better than football hooligans really. I come from a very working class run of the mill family, no large earners, no blue blood. A range of butchers, labourers, hairdressers, office staff, and then some involved in equine management, a publican too. Nothing remotely middle let alone upper class. All in support of fox hunting, a lot have followed the hunt on foot or horseback, the relatives who own & run their own stables were quite heavily involved with a few fairly local hunts...lots of their ex residents were hunters or there abouts infact. So none of us are snobs who do it for an ego boost. None are, sick or un-evolved individuals either (again, thanks for that one). In regards to my family I would say half are in it for the horse P.o.v as riders and enthusiasts, a small percent follow as its a family thing, then a vast amount is in support of pest control. As foxes ARE vermin, and they ARE a problem. And I live semi rurally, on the edge of the city brinking out into rural and farmlands, since the hunting ban they HAVE come further and further in and HAVE become more of a problem.
Now back to hunt sabs, non violent? All for the animal lovers? This is why as a child I was spat in the face of when at a hunt meet? This is on another occasion, why my great grandmother, at the time in her early eighties was harrassed with sexual remarks and a bunch of inbreds exposing themselves to she and her friends as they ate mince pies at a hunt meet...not in any way participating in the actual hunt at all? This is why on another occasion some years ago, my grandfather who was infact at the time terminally ill with cancer though still fairly mobile was viciously assaulted for simply BEING at the stables the hunt was collecting horses from?
I've seen sabs chase hounds into roads of oncoming traffic, seen horses slip on barb wire that's been set, heard but did not witness some anti's kick in a set which the fox had bolted from but the patterdale was still down.
Fox hunting has it's place, for it IS the most effective way of fox control. By the hunt itself it ensures the healthy, the fit, and the young, survive and go on. And trust me, they do infact I would say a vast majority of hunts see the fox getting away. Maintained and ran properly a hunt should only take out the weak, the elderly, basically the same as the culling in deer herds we do!
Shooting does NOT work, it is NOT precise enough. I've seen even experienced marksmen miss. Fox goes off to die, not pleasant. Trapping? Definitely not. I found a fox strung up by its throat and front left leg earlier this year in a lovely snare, really a nicer option.
Hunting equates to the determination of survival of the fittest, in regards to the fox, as I have said...the strongest and fittest do escape! And those that don't? Are culled quickly and humanely just as with any other species being managed.
I've witnessed a kill only once. It's not ripped to pieces whilst crying and screaming as is being put across here. How ridiculous. Lead hound, or whatever turn of coin you'd like to use, in the chase will snap the neck. Just like a terrier on rodents, or rabbits and so forth. Then yes often it does take place, fox is LONG gone by this point. I've also never seen such crap as exploited in the fore shown video of a fox being dug out and launched into a pack of hounds. Everytime I know a terrier has been used, said fox is shot. I've only ever witnessed a terrier being put to ground in the context when a land owner has had HUGE fox problems and is determined a cull must take place.
In regards to the hounds? Well i've had enough relatives puppy walk them, they are enough trouble at this age...I'm not sure how well they would adapt post a life within a pack, and out hunting.
absolutely great post.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
Would you include people that shoot in that? After all they can go the butchers and buy their meat, so they are attending the shoot (or shooting alone) for the enjoyment of it.

Equally people that fish for fun, what's that all about? I would say that its just as cruel catching a fish and releasing it again as killing it.

I don't hunt, fish or shoot but equally I don't view those that do as less evolved than me.
Hi Nic

I have no problems with people hunting for food. In fact I think that is *much* better for people's health _and_ for the environment (of course within reason - how it is done, what species are being caught, etc).

Have you seen how tinned fish is caught? Nets the size of football fields are dragged along the sea bed destroying everything in their path it's disgusting - and is going to bite us in the bum in the not too distant future as important coral and other natural habitats (and species) are being destroyed in the process.

So I am actually for people hunting/catching their own food - in a renewable and ethical manner. It is far better for our species, the animal world and the planet.

With regards to 'killing for fun' - my views remain the same on that. I just don't understand why an intelligent and compassionate species would want to kill anything 'for fun'.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 06:40 PM
ah Dawn you and I are poles apart when it comes to animal welfare issues lol. I condemn anyone who threats hounds inhumanely... you on the other hand only condemn one set....I wont even go into our differences wildlife issues!

By the way, Hounds can make Great pets, given the chance , i knew someone who had a rescued foxhound & a lady on another forum i frequent lol, has 2 rescues!

I dont think they can be anymore of a challenge than my Siberians.

Yes we are poles apart. Im not about to change that to suit you or anyone else. 2 or 3 Hounds in a home doesnt equate to them being suitable pets, they are not. If you think they are then you are sadly very mistaken. However, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hi Nic

I have no problems with people hunting for food. In fact I think that is *much* better for people's health _and_ for the environment (of course within reason - how it is done, what species are being caught, etc).

Have you seen how tinned fish is caught? Nets the size of football fields are dragged along the sea bed destroying everything in their path it's disgusting - and is going to bite us in the bum in the not too distant future as important coral and other natural habitats (and species) are being destroyed in the process.

So I am actually for people hunting/catching their own food - in a renewable and ethical manner. It is far better for our species, the animal world and the planet.

With regards to 'killing for fun' - my views remain the same on that. I just don't understand why an intelligent and compassionate species would want to kill anything 'for fun'.
Totally agee but sadly not all humans are intelligent or compassionate . I live in an area where they shoot pheasnts for fun . The people who do this could never be described as intelligent or compassionate .
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Excellent post
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Page 12 of 21 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »