View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 04:09 PM

I think I've just shorn my first sheep!!!

Or Georgieboy to be precise, but it felt more like a sheep!! Poor boy is struggling in this heat, so I armed myself with the clippers, fought off the hyper Zena after she'd just woken up from a long afternoon nap, and took him out on the decking and got to work!

I'm so used to clipping horses, but dogs for me are a totally different ballgame, so I started with the longest (no. 4's??), that wasn't doing much good, so I opted for the shortest (no. 1's?) and that left his belly all fluffy like cotton wool, so time for action, I took off the attachment and went in for the kill! I'm now down to completely, smooth, bare skin, not a tramline in sight, (NOR any clipper rash or hits!) although a couple of hot spots which or course I would never have seen otherwise with all that long, thick fur under there, so I can now deal with those. Apart from those two hotspots, I have to say, his skin is silky soft and pure white, nothing like it used to be years ago, so I'm quite pleased with myself that I'm still doing a good job with his skin and coat.

I then took him out to a freshly filled pool, he couldn't wait to get in, and I hosed him off, he gave me a big lick, awwwwwwwww, and now he's lying in the lounge in front of the air con unit feeling a much happier boy.

Zena meanwhile is out in this baking heat , although in the shade, next to her pool, and she's in and out of it like a yo yo and keeps coming in here dripping wet looking for her playmate, but I've shut him in there coz of the air con going. I'd better go and check up on him I would never, ever do this to her, but of course, as you know, Georgie is old, he's got cushings so his coat is tremendously thick and long, and I know he feels much better for it, and I've only done all of his belly, and just thinned out with those longer attachment thingies along his sides and leg feathers, but still left them on, I didn't want him to look daft

Piccie in due course!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Or Georgieboy to be precise, but it felt more like a sheep!! Poor boy is struggling in this heat, so I armed myself with the clippers, fought off the hyper Zena after she'd just woken up from a long afternoon nap, and took him out on the decking and got to work!

I'm so used to clipping horses, but dogs for me are a totally different ballgame, so I started with the longest (no. 4's??), that wasn't doing much good, so I opted for the shortest (no. 1's?) and that left his belly all fluffy like cotton wool, so time for action, I took off the attachment and went in for the kill! I'm now down to completely, smooth, bare skin, not a tramline in sight, (NOR any clipper rash or hits!) although a couple of hot spots which or course I would never have seen otherwise with all that long, thick fur under there, so I can now deal with those. Apart from those two hotspots, I have to say, his skin is silky soft and pure white, nothing like it used to be years ago, so I'm quite pleased with myself that I'm still doing a good job with his skin and coat.

I then took him out to a freshly filled pool, he couldn't wait to get in, and I hosed him off, he gave me a big lick, awwwwwwwww, and now he's lying in the lounge in front of the air con unit feeling a much happier boy.

Zena meanwhile is out in this baking heat , although in the shade, next to her pool, and she's in and out of it like a yo yo and keeps coming in here dripping wet looking for her playmate, but I've shut him in there coz of the air con going. I'd better go and check up on him I would never, ever do this to her, but of course, as you know, Georgie is old, he's got cushings so his coat is tremendously thick and long, and I know he feels much better for it, and I've only done all of his belly, and just thinned out with those longer attachment thingies along his sides and leg feathers, but still left them on, I didn't want him to look daft

Piccie in due course!
Never let a girl loose with clippers when they are used to clipping horses

Cant wait to see the pics H, bet he feels much cooler now!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Can't wait to see the pictures of gorgeous Georgie!! I know what you mean about the heat and the hair tho', as I had to thin Remy's coat last summer as she couldn't tolerate the heat...
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Awwww poor georgie, his mummsy thinks he's a sheep, and now wants to put up photo to embarrass him.
I promise i won't laugh georgie xxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Lol Jackie, do you know what, I absolutely adored clipping horses, especially my own of course, I used to love seeing that thick coat come slithering off revealing that lovely silky shiny one underneath!!! and never a tram line in sight I hasten to add, well, I had enough practice over 20 years with him, plus all of my friend's horses I did!!! Dogs are really difficult though aren't they, you have to go with the coat instead of against it (as I found out!!!! )

Poor Georgie, he just lays there, and then when I say "other side" to save him getting up, I just kind of flip him over with his legs Oh bless his little cotton socks, there'll never be another dog like him for getting a job done, he's absolutely brilliant is Georgie, unlike someone else I could name!!!! I even thinned out all his big mane and under his chin and the look on his face was sheer ecstacy! I had to hold his back leg a few times though coz of his itching with those two hot spots, coz he was kicking me lol!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Here he is, looking so much happier!

... and here's my attempt at sheep shearing!

I've just dealt with that hot spot with Fuciderm, and he's chewing on an ice cold carrot, happy as Larry now!

Sure notice his big "lumps" under there though now Hey ho, he's covered in 'em and has been like that for a while now, they say it's just fatty lumps, so finger's crossed!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

25-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Lol Jackie, do you know what, I absolutely adored clipping horses, especially my own of course, I used to love seeing that thick coat come slithering off revealing that lovely silky shiny one underneath!!! and never a tram line in sight I hasten to add, well, I had enough practice over 20 years with him, plus all of my friend's horses I did!!! Dogs are really difficult though aren't they, you have to go with the coat instead of against it (as I found out!!!! )

Me too, used to do everyone elses too apart from the kickers that is :shock:

Poor Georgie, he just lays there, and then when I say "other side" to save him getting up, I just kind of flip him over with his legs Oh bless his little cotton socks, there'll never be another dog like him for getting a job done, he's absolutely brilliant is Georgie, unlike someone else I could name!!!! I even thinned out all his big mane and under his chin and the look on his face was sheer ecstacy! I had to hold his back leg a few times though coz of his itching with those two hot spots, coz he was kicking me lol!
Bless the old lad, cant wait to see the new stream line Georgie.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

25-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Here he is, looking so much happier!

... and here's my attempt at sheep shearing!

I've just dealt with that hot spot with Fuciderm, and he's chewing on an ice cold carrot, happy as Larry now!

Sure notice his big "lumps" under there though now Hey ho, he's covered in 'em and has been like that for a while now, they say it's just fatty lumps, so finger's crossed!
See you cant take the horsey "window" clip out of the girl , can you a nice cool window for him to get all that fresh air.

I am sure he will feel a lot better for it, and as for the lumps, I am sure they are what they say !!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Awww he is gorgeous H, I love Georgie, give him a gentle (((HUG))) from me xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Oh, bless him - he`ll feel so much better now. Daisy has had a second moult and swims every day so she`s OK, but Raz has a massive coat so isn`t moving from under his table with the fan on him!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >