Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Angered by the actions of a friend in regards to ageing dog

Really need to vent this one as it's bothering me!
The other day a fairly good friend of mine, had a bbq which there were quite a few of us at. I havent been to the friends house in quite some months, due to non fitting schedules if you like. Well anyway, whilst there i immediately went to Bing his old boy schnauzer, 15 and a half respectfully. And..well The dogs gone deaf, he can hardly see, lost so much weight, staggers if he walkes for too long, and his back end kept going and hed just slip to the floor. I asked friend if he knew about this, and said "Yeah he's been like it for ages now" Well i went a bit anger fuelled, as when my old Poll was half as bad as this she was pts. The dog is miserable! Beyond belief..just plods around and doesnt look very happy with life at all. His owners view is "he can still get to his foodbowl and find his bed" But he has no quality of life.
How do you make that line of it being someone elses responsibility,and bite ones tounge?
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Gosh, that's a very difficult one. I think sometimes people just don't see what's in front of them and it's quite easy (I think) for your subconscious to keep telling you that your dog is ok when clearly to anyone else they are suffering.

I'm not sure there is much you can say to your friend other than maybe talk to him about your experience with your dog and how you knew it was time to let go?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I do find it very distressing that some people allow their animals to linger for longer than is really necessary. I'm not sure what the answer is. I always vowed that as soon as my dogs quality of life has diminished then it's time to let them go but sadly some people feel they have to 'come to terms' with the decision BEFORE doing it and therefore allowing the dog to suffer more. I feel that as dogs do not show signs unless really ill that it is better when they are not too bad than when they are really downhill.
As I've said before, better a week early than a day too late.
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Gosh, that's a very difficult one. I think sometimes people just don't see what's in front of them and it's quite easy (I think) for your subconscious to keep telling you that your dog is ok when clearly to anyone else they are suffering.

I'm not sure there is much you can say to your friend other than maybe talk to him about your experience with your dog and how you knew it was time to let go?
I agree with this, not sure you should bite your tongue, but as tactfully as possible tell them you think their dog is unhappy.

You might also persuade them to take him to the vet for a check over. I'm sure the vet would see what you do and tell them so...sometimes if people hear something from someone 'more official' it sinks in better than from others, particularly a youngish friend.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Definatly a suggestion to take the dog to the vets wouldn't go a miss. Talking about what happened with your own dog seems a good idea, it might help them to realise that their dog isn't as happy as they think.

I suppose you'll have to hope that what ever you say doesn't fall on deaf ears.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I think one short meeting with the dog doesn`t give you the full picture. One of my Oldies sleeps most of the time. He is also deaf, can`t see a lot and falls over frequently. Yes, his back end has gone and yes he is very wobbly, but on a good day he enjoys a potter about, shouts for his dinner and tells the youngsters off. And he loves a fuss and cuddle. He doesn`t deserve to be PTS because he isn`t particularly active or happy.
My other oldie has good days when he`s like his old self, amd bad days when his health is too bad for him to do much. Again, he may not appear to be getting much out of life on the bad days, but that is no reason to have him put down.
If your friends` dog is eating and getting about I doubt he has major health problems, he`s just old. We all get old.
I totally agree that dogs in pain and distress need to be helped to be at peace, but old age doesn`t have to be a dreadful thing.

This is my wobbly Oldie on Wednesday. having his 15th birthday treat - an ice cream in the park
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2009, 03:30 PM
That picture is lovely.

Going OT for one tick, CandD, what sort of harness type thing is he wearing? It looks lovely and soft?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 03:37 PM
This is very close to home for me at the moment

Better a day too early, than a moment too late...
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Its very sad to see a dog growing old, it seems to come on them very quick but as CD says old age alone is 'nt a valid reason to put the dog to sleep...most owners know when its time not to be selfish and allow our friends to go with dignity...
sorry Luke but maybe instead or allowing it to make you mad you could have been a wee bit more considerate with the family and the golden oldie xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think one short meeting with the dog doesn`t give you the full picture. One of my Oldies sleeps most of the time. He is also deaf, can`t see a lot and falls over frequently. Yes, his back end has gone and yes he is very wobbly, but on a good day he enjoys a potter about, shouts for his dinner and tells the youngsters off. And he loves a fuss and cuddle. He doesn`t deserve to be PTS because he isn`t particularly active or happy.
My other oldie has good days when he`s like his old self, amd bad days when his health is too bad for him to do much. Again, he may not appear to be getting much out of life on the bad days, but that is no reason to have him put down.
If your friends` dog is eating and getting about I doubt he has major health problems, he`s just old. We all get old.
I totally agree that dogs in pain and distress need to be helped to be at peace, but old age doesn`t have to be a dreadful thing.

This is my wobbly Oldie on Wednesday. having his 15th birthday treat - an ice cream in the park
This has actually given me some hope......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >