Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tish's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Private schooling?

Hello everyone. I don't know if i have put this thread in the right place, but here goes.
Has anyone had any experience of private school, was it good or bad, and is it really any different to mainstream school?
The thing is my eldest son is going to mainstream school and he seems to be doing okay. The school is round the corner for him which is good. My youngest son goes to mainstream primary school and he loves it, i think he just loves school in general...not particulary because it's that school. My youngest son is 5 and in reception class full time.
My youngest sons dad is in the army, he is fantastic dad and has said that the privilage of being in the army is that your kids can get private schooling. I do have a private school close to me and i have looked at their website and it does look fantastic. There are lots of great things available and activities...they even have a swimming pool!
So i was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of advice it would be much appreciated to hear it.
Thanks
Kerry x
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 12:02 PM
My two girls attended private school from reception but two years ago due to redundancy we could no longer afford the fees so they went into main stream school.

If I could afford it I would have kept it up they are such confident girls from it and do feel they benefitted from the smaller classes.

The only thing I would say is they do push them with the work and its a longer school day.

Having said this they are both doing well in mainstream school now although I really thought they would struggle with the change.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 12:18 PM
I went to a private school as a child and I've taught in both state and private. My honest answer is it all depends on the school and the child. There are good and bad private schools and good and bad state schools. Paying doesn't always mean better. Some private schools are more academic but some aren't.

Every school is trying to sell itself so talk to other people who have experience of the schools as well as the schools themselves.

Also you have to think of the social side. There are advantages to going to the local school and having your friends living near by. Will it create pressure later on to match a social style you can't afford? How will it alter things with your other children if one gets opportunities and others don't?

How good are your local schools? Which environment will your child be happiest in?

Not the easiest decision. Go and have a good look at both and if there's nothing that makes you think 'Oh no', go back again with your son and see how he feels. Children thrive best where they're happy, assuming both schools are reasonable options of course.

Whichever you decide, remember you're still the biggest factor in how he'll get on and there isn't one 'right' answer. Good luck.
Tish's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for that. There is so much to think about! My son has a strong personality and nothing seems to bother him, i don't think he would be bothered either way. School is just school to him and thats that. I know for a fact that he wont be bullied either, no matter where he goes, he is a tough cookie. Having said that he is a confident, happy little boy and he really enjoys learning...he is only 5 and i suppose that could change.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I think getting the right school is very important.

I send my two eldest out of the County to go to their school (you have to pass an exam to get in, which my eldest did, so her younger sister got in on the 'sibling' route).

Our local school is full of excluded kids from Inner London. They have security and clocking in and out of classrooms, which I think is awful and not an environment I'd want my kids in every day.

The laugh of it is, I live in an up-market area and the majority of local people dont send their kids to the local Comp so the more places there, the more 'excluded' from other schools/areas kids get drafted in, as the school can't turn kids away (whether excluded from other schools or not) if there are places at the school.

My youngest daughter (12) has had twins start at her school this week, who have come from private school and the parents took them out because they were not happy with their Daughters progress at private school. This is not the first time I've heard this. So I really think you have to weigh up what the mainstream schools are like where you live. If they are not up to much then private would be a definite if they were my kids.

Edited to say that it costs me £210 bus fares per month for my Daughters to go to their school out of our area ..................
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 12:51 PM
we send our eldest two to private school and it was the decision for them. They are being well educated but on top of it they are being given amazing opportunities to try things not available within our local state system. My eldest is about to go to Henley in a regatta and my son who you would normally be found on his xbox is about to compete at a bridge tournament in Manchester.

It all depends on what is right for your child and what is available in your area. Above all of was important for our children to feel happy and secure and the private school for us gave them that. They are growing up in an environment where it is cool to be clever and trying hard brings reward.

I wish you luck. You may like to know that both were educated in the local primary school as our youngest is still. It was the secondary state system we opted out of.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I didn't just go to a private school, I went to a private all girls school!

I am eternally grateful to my Dad for sending me there. There were no more than 25 children in each class which for someone who is easily distracted and who finds it difficult to learn (always felt there was more to life) it was perfect for me.

I don't think I would have achieved the qualifications I came away with if I had been in the same state school my brother went to (brain box so no need for private). I went there for 6th form and dropped out after a year. I was always just another student and never felt special.

Made me a randy little sod though ;o)
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I didn't just go to a private school, I went to a private all girls school!

I am eternally grateful to my Dad for sending me there. There were no more than 25 children in each class which for someone who is easily distracted and who finds it difficult to learn (always felt there was more to life) it was perfect for me.

I don't think I would have achieved the qualifications I came away with if I had been in the same state school my brother went to (brain box so no need for private). I went there for 6th form and dropped out after a year. I was always just another student and never felt special.

Made me a randy little sod though ;o)
I went to an all girls school (secondary). Doesn't sound like the same sort of school you went to tho Mine was an Inner London School and if you got away without being beaten up a few times in the time you were there, you could consider yourself lucky (either that or go in and get your mark and then bunk off like me and my friend did). Awful place. Left with okay exam results and went to College, couldn't wait to get away from that school. Think that's why I'm so adamant that my kids have to go to 'good' schools
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 02:20 PM
How much are fees for private schools?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
How much are fees for private schools?
Depends on your choice of school but this should help