View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
yes that`s the Madam! It doesn`t actually help that she`s fluffy as people do approach too close. I never had that problem with my black & tan shorthaired GDS!. Yes she has learned that raring off at someone she doesn`t like look of made them go away. In the early days this was anything from a person with an umbrella or someone using a mobile phone (we walked round and rouind them till she stopped glaring).
I have heard of the James O`Heare one but it seems hard to get & very expensive I`ll try looking for it again.
Today coming out of the station she decided a guy in a fluorescent jacket with a clipboard was worthy of being shouted at so I put her in a sit and stayed beside him till she looked at me and relaxed. She won`t touch food when aroused. A toy will distract her but also winds her up.
She has come a long way - she has gone from launching a full-on attack at everyone 2 years ago to a bit of a shout at the odd person today, so we are getting somewhere.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
She has come a long way - she has gone from launching a full-on attack at everyone 2 years ago to a bit of a shout at the odd person today, so we are getting somewhere.
Just wanted to say, I know where you are coming from (although my pooch is a good deal smaller). It's sometimes really helpful to look back to a while ago and think what the dog was like then.

I do that when Bryan has had a bark at another dog. It used to 100% of all dogs, now it's about 20%

I think you've done brilliantly to work with your dog so hard - many people seem to just give up on their dogs
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
yes that`s the Madam! It doesn`t actually help that she`s fluffy as people do approach too close. I never had that problem with my black & tan shorthaired GDS!. Yes she has learned that raring off at someone she doesn`t like look of made them go away. In the early days this was anything from a person with an umbrella or someone using a mobile phone (we walked round and rouind them till she stopped glaring).
I have heard of the James O`Heare one but it seems hard to get & very expensive I`ll try looking for it again.
Today coming out of the station she decided a guy in a fluorescent jacket with a clipboard was worthy of being shouted at so I put her in a sit and stayed beside him till she looked at me and relaxed. She won`t touch food when aroused. A toy will distract her but also winds her up.
It does sound as if you've done well

The Dog Aggression Workbook is here:

http://www.crosskeysbooks.com/produc...roducts_id=679

IMHO it's good; he's written this specifically for dog owners who have aggression problems (with their dogs, not themselves ) and written others which are very in depth for behaviourists.

Good luck

Wys
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks to all who have added to this thread, its made intresting reading, more so as it has came from members who have had/worked with problem dogs, its nice to know what has worked/not worked/ for others
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13