Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Seperation Anxiety?

My 5 month old pup started crying in the crate when i left home.This was going on the whole time I was out and despite walks and leaving him things to do he didnt stop. Nighttime crating is fine.
I decided to leave him in the dining room which he has chewed to pieces but doesnt whine or mess.
If he is fine being left in the dining room but whines in the crate, is this seperation anxiety or not?
Thanks
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 03:11 PM
How long are you leaving him for?
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Approx 20mins.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2008, 08:09 AM
he may have an issue with being left alone, because he is young, but itts not separation anxiety
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
My 5 month old pup started crying in the crate when i left home.This was going on the whole time I was out and despite walks and leaving him things to do he didnt stop. Nighttime crating is fine.
I decided to leave him in the dining room which he has chewed to pieces but doesnt whine or mess.
If he is fine being left in the dining room but whines in the crate, is this seperation anxiety or not?
Thanks
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
he may have an issue with being left alone, because he is young, but itts not separation anxiety
Hi Charliegirl I agree with KW, this is most certainly normal behaviour and not really likely to be separation anxiety (which often has clearly defined behaviour like shivering/dribbling ).
Dogs are very social animals and it is natural for them to dislike being alone. Your puppy is 'calling' to you as he would to his litter mates if he became separated from them. Some puppies adapt better to separation than others , I think this depends partly on their temperament but also how they have been taught to cope with separation from being tiny puppies.

If you are going to leave your puppy alone it is best to do so for a short period of time only until he gets used to it, so he becomes desensitising to being left.
You really want him to learn...
..your not being there is no big deal,
..when you leave you will always return,
..when you are with him he will not automatically get your attention all the time,
..he will get attention when you are ready (this is so he won't become too dependant on getting your attention all the time) .

You can only do this slowly and it may take some time. The best time to start is when your puppy would normally be ready for a sleep like after a meal and a play.
First take your puppy out to relieve himself, (so you know he does not need to go) then using the room he spends the most time in and where his bed is, go out of the room ignoring him and close the door (the bed should be comfortable with a toy and something you have worn like knotted socks or a tee shirt, also leave the radio on with a voice programme, this will mask the sound of your movements and be comforting to the puppy).

..after a moment return to the room and do some normal task like going in the cupboards ignoring the puppy, no word no eye contact,
...go in and out of the room a few times always shutting the door and ignoring the puppy both when you leave the room and return. If he is whining or making any sound wait for a pause and go back into the room only when he is quiet
...eventually go back in the room and perform some task or sit with a book still ignoring the puppy, remember no word no eye contact,
...when he is quiet and not bothering you speak to him and give him lots of praise,
...you need to do this exercise a few times each day, vary the length of time you stay out of the room and gradually increase it. Progress to leaving the house for a few moments following the same ignore/no fuss routine.

If you have not already done so get an interesting toy to occupy him like the ones with small holes that allow treats to fall through. Don't expect instant success, training a puppy takes time and patience.