View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2008, 04:20 PM
I think that noise distraction could work just as well.

If a choke is used properly there is no damage to the dog. It is an attention getting device. Like tapping his side with your foot for attention. It is intended to draw their attention from the bad behavior.

Prong collars look horrable and I can't belive anyone would put them on their dog. I have never used a half choke but if it works it works.

My point is purly that people seem to be putting a negitive even harmful spin on these collars.

That reserch was very interesting. I still think this is due to MISUSE. I have seen misuse and I know it exists. I agree with Shona. I only use the choker for inital training. My dogs do not wear them unless on the walk and only in training. As it is, I can't think of more than a handful of times I have ever had to "choke" my dog. And like I said, it is a quick snap, not throatle.

For such a widly used training device I can not believe the negative sentiment I am hearing and from people who have never used it. Tell me how a head harness is more benifical to a dog? What would THAT do to their neck?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mayvren View Post
I think that noise distraction could work just as well.

If a choke is used properly there is no damage to the dog. It is an attention getting device. Like tapping his side with your foot for attention. It is intended to draw their attention from the bad behavior.

Prong collars look horrable and I can't belive anyone would put them on their dog. I have never used a half choke but if it works it works.

My point is purly that people seem to be putting a negitive even harmful spin on these collars.

That reserch was very interesting. I still think this is due to MISUSE. I have seen misuse and I know it exists. I agree with Shona. I only use the choker for inital training. My dogs do not wear them unless on the walk and only in training. As it is, I can't think of more than a handful of times I have ever had to "choke" my dog. And like I said, it is a quick snap, not throatle.

For such a widly used training device I can not believe the negative sentiment I am hearing and from people who have never used it. Tell me how a head harness is more benifical to a dog? What would THAT do to their neck?
if its just the noise you want then a half check is the job for you, with no chance of putting it on the wrong way round and causing damage,,,
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I have not problem with half checks, Shona. But I'm sure they get painted with the same brush as any collar like this. I've only been here a few months and I'm fed up with ignorant comments about these collars. They are very effective and many dogs have long happy lives having been trained on them.

And no, these are not just for "pullers". They work on all problems and believe me I have had problem dogs, including agressives.

Sorry, I'm just fed up.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mayvren View Post
I have not problem with half checks, Shona. But I'm sure they get painted with the same brush as any collar like this. I've only been here a few months and I'm fed up with ignorant comments about these collars. They are very effective and many dogs have long happy lives having been trained on them.

And no, these are not just for "pullers". They work on all problems and believe me I have had problem dogs, including agressives.

Sorry, I'm just fed up.
but I see choke chains as a training aid not an everyday collar,,, if you know what I mean, if they did the job they are intended to do, then why continue to use one, you should be able to go back to a normal collar when the {training problem is sorted,, } if you know what I mean,

as a trainer Im aware of there uses,, but they are not long term, imo
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2008, 04:51 PM
I dont like them...I wouldnt like one round my neck, so Im sure its the same for the dogs!
Plus I know it wouldnt stop mine from pulling hes so stubborn he'd proberly just pass out!....NOT GOOD!
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2008, 05:03 PM
to get dogs attention, you can always use other methods, such as making click sound or whistle with your mouth, a word, a stamp on the floor with your foot...

i have seen an infrared scan of a dogs throat wearing choke chain, it is horrible what it does to his throat.
even a dog pulling on a normal collar looks bad on an infrared scan, it is just ugly.

i wish those people who use those collars on the dogs, would see these scans.

i strongly believe, that dogs can be taught walking nicely on the lead, using positive methods. for that you need time an strong will, but you owe that to your dog.
nat888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I personally believe that choke chains are fine when used correctly but i only use one for training and when i'm walking them not letting them run loose.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I have used a choke chain
When I was young friends of mine had a lovely CKC, she was dragged down the street every day with the choke on the wrong way gasping for air
I took her and had her walking nicely to heel in one afternoon - I know they work
It the reason why they work i dont like, it is not just the noise
read any of the instructions - you put it on the correct way so a short pull tightens it on the dogs neck and then when you release pressure it slackens - you are using the tightening - noise and pressure on the windpipe
I beieive in training a dog to walk on a loose lead without any of these things
yes a head harness can be just as bad if used to correct pulling- I wouldnt use it to correct pulling either

dont like a 1/2 check either, even if it is protecting their windpipe you still have the 'power' to tighten something round a dogs neck when it is not doing what you want

Totaly agree that its not natural for dogs to walk as slow as us, its not normal for them not to be able to investigate things around them - its up to us to train them that we they will get where we are going if they walk with us
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 07:20 PM
I would never use them and i don't beleive they are a training aid as i would define training as teaching what you do want it to do rather than punishing it for doing what you don't want them to do.

It isn't a myth that they cause problems and if you go to www.apdt.co.uk you can read research about why they are bad and just what injuries and behavioural problems they can cause.

I know some people will still refute this but, why would an organisation such as the APDT spend money researching use of choke chains and pay to produce and distribute a leaflet highlighting their finding if there was no evidence of the damage they can do.

I always try to look at the situation from the other way round, rather than looking at what i can correct (through which ever way people choose) i look for the moment when the dog is doing what you want them to and build on that.

Teaching a dog not to pull on the lead can be done with positive methods with no force used at all - as this can be done, and is very suuccesful I really cannot understand why people would choose to resort to using force at all. However light people feel they may be "checking" the dog, it is still resorting to using force.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
if its just the noise you want then a half check is the job for you, with no chance of putting it on the wrong way round and causing damage,,,
I agree. I hate the things and I hate prong collars as well. I would love to put a choke chain round the necks of the people who use them on their dogs, be it for training purposes or for regular use, and give it a good yank every now and then....And no, that's not in a kinky way.... Choke chains are draconian, I think.
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »