Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Not gonna argu on my sis but if his methods work without being cruel then i think his training of dogs is ok, from i what ive seen of him he is good, and i wouldnt have a dog of mine bite my ankles if i could train them using his methods uncruel to stop doing it, then i would. Ive seen his methods work on bajalunas dog and it works good so if that makes him a little pr ick wel all beit
I don think him cruel as such , but if i pinned one of my dogs to the ground esp Lady she would be terrified , that is the point im thinking on , And the bits of his training i disagree with i also dont like the idea of throwing things at dogs ,But i still think he is an annoying little *****
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I have first haexperience of the rattle bottle - believe me i would never use one again

my dog, sam, went to naughty dog school because she had nervous aggression. Now, at the end of the class the aggressive dogs were let off their leads, (muzzled) if ant showed signs of aggression, not only was a rattle bottle thrown down, so was 2 trays - imagine that ona woden floor.. a sensitve collie ear and that - i was only 12ish at the time - but sam was terrified, i didnt speak to my mum for ages after that

the 'trainers' appologised saying they forgot how sensitive collies ears were....... sure

im discuseted at us for going along with it to be honest - it lasted all of 5 mins - but damage was done - sam is getting better with other dogs but at 10 - she aint gonna change

i never went back there again, found a different dog trainig school, i dont ilke training classes, im not stupid i know how to train my dog (basics) i had my pup sitting on command at 6 weeks, downing at 8 and standing at 11/12 (she was slow on that one!!)

but as for aggresssion goes - its a sensitive matter, throwing a rattle bottle and trays are not the answer

the answer belongs in a fairy liquid bottle filled iwth water and a very firm voice.

Believe me i regret what happened to sam, so theres no need to rib me for it...
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I watched an episode of Dog Whisperer the other day where a dog was terrified of an electric nail/claw clipper. So what did Cesar do? Pin the dog to the floor and hold the electric clipper up to the dog and terrify it for as long as necessary.

So, lets put it into perspective. It's like me taking one of the kids in the school I work at who is terrified of spiders, and pinning them to the ground. Then, I pour spiders all over them until they are so scared stiff they don't fight anymore.

Now if that isn't cruel, I seriously don't know what is.
and therein lies the problem,the humanising of our pets they are not kids they are animals,we can love them as much as kids but to treat them the same is asking for trouble
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
I don think him cruel as such , but if i pinned one of my dogs to the ground esp Lady she would be terrified , that is the point im thinking on , And the bits of his training i disagree with i also dont like the idea of throwing things at dogs ,But i still think he is an annoying little *****
you all need to watch him, he doesnt advocate pinning dogs to the ground in fact if you watch you will hear him say,to pin is not good they have to go there themselves
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
you all need to watch him, he doesnt advocate pinning dogs to the ground in fact if you watch you will hear him say,to pin is not good they have to go there themselves
Maybe thats my problem BJ i cant stand the man voice so i dont watch him xxdk
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
and therein lies the problem,the humanising of our pets they are not kids they are animals,we can love them as much as kids but to treat them the same is asking for trouble
You are correct - anthropomorphism is a bad thing.
However, applying this judgment to the post by Hammer would be erroneous, as the post isnt an example of an anthropomorphism, but an example of an analogy.
A completely different thing - and the one posted is very valid.
As it describes flooding, a psychological practice that can be applied to humans and animals.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
You are correct - anthropomorphism is a bad thing.
However, applying this judgment to the post by Hammer would be erroneous, as the post isnt an example of an anthropomorphism, but an example of an analogy.
A completely different thing - and the one posted is very valid.
As it describes flooding, a psychological practice that can be applied to humans and animals.
yes but is it considered cruelty or therapy?
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Maybe thats my problem BJ i cant stand the man voice so i dont watch him xxdk
he does have quite an annoying little accent doesnt he
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Indeed he does hun xxdk
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I watched an episode of Dog Whisperer the other day where a dog was terrified of an electric nail/claw clipper. So what did Cesar do? Pin the dog to the floor and hold the electric clipper up to the dog and terrify it for as long as necessary.

So, lets put it into perspective. It's like me taking one of the kids in the school I work at who is terrified of spiders, and pinning them to the ground. Then, I pour spiders all over them until they are so scared stiff they don't fight anymore.

Now if that isn't cruel, I seriously don't know what is.
I agree with your analogy Hammer and I also think CM is cruel.
I think a better solution would be to gradually desensitise the dog to the clippers..
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »