View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Why you would need to throw something at the animal while saying "No" is beyond me.

I've always found that a loud, unexpected "No" suprises the dog enough to stop whatever they were doing anyway.

Maybe i could try this out by pummelling the kids with the various items to hand and see if it works on them first
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I love ceasar milan I watch him all the time and his methods are not cruel, or one size fits all he adjusts to each individual dog,he trains the people who most of the time are the problem.
I use his methods on my dogs and dont have to touch them or even raise my voice,I have a pack of 7 ask zoeybeau how bad my shepherd was, he is an angel now and much happier.
as for being outdated what is that ?if it works and doesnt involve cruel methods it should never go out of date,dogs are not cars or pcs they are living beings,as to the original question I would never throw an object at my dog for correction purposes
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2007, 10:45 PM
I watched an episode of Dog Whisperer the other day where a dog was terrified of an electric nail/claw clipper. So what did Cesar do? Pin the dog to the floor and hold the electric clipper up to the dog and terrify it for as long as necessary.

So, lets put it into perspective. It's like me taking one of the kids in the school I work at who is terrified of spiders, and pinning them to the ground. Then, I pour spiders all over them until they are so scared stiff they don't fight anymore.

Now if that isn't cruel, I seriously don't know what is.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I personally think Cesar Milan is a complete Pr!ck and would use few, IF any of his training methods if you could call them that tbh, I think the only reason the dogs respond to his training is out of fear JMO xxdk
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:07 PM
No-one who is cruel to dogs could have control over a pack of 46 dogs - a pack that includes several pit bulls, amongst other challenging types.

My dog was a challenge, an entire alpha male and a husky cross mal to boot. The ONLY training methods that ever had any impact at all on him was Cesar's calm assertive energy. It worked instantly on him with everything but recall. That was getting better, thanks to Cesar, when he sadly and tragically crossed the Bridge. Within a few months, I think I would have managed to achieve a fairly perfect recall without having to resort to throwing something towards him.

He wasn't impressed by loud assertive "No's!" You could shout No at him until you were hoarse, and he would just laugh at you. But within seconds of me clipping his lead on, I managed to get him to walk to heel using Cesar's "tsst", a firm tug and the word "heel". I nearly fell over backwards the first time he walked to heel - bearing in mind his breeding and the fact he was an alpha male, I had accepted his disobedience. Bad mistake.

A big thank you to Cesar - the ONLY trainer whose methods had a huge impact on my dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:12 PM
dollyknockers: you cannot train a dog through fear, if you managed to, you would very soon be bitten. I won't condemn anyone for not liking his methods, they are entitled to their opinion and I would even go so far as to say maybe they would not suit every dog. But to say the man is cruel, is just not on. He demands respect from dogs, that is not being cruel.

If he mistreated those pitbulls in his pack and was cruel to them, he wouldn't last long. You are being very anthropomorphic - dogs are dogs, they are not extensions of our human selves. They need to know their boundaries and limitations, and to get respect you need to be assertive, particularly with some of the red zoners. I know for a fact that my dog would have absolutely adored him.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:14 PM
I have my own opion yes im well aware dogs are dogs ive owned them all my life ,Many different breeds but i have never had to pin one of my dogs to the ground to train it nor will i that is what i dislike about CM ,Some people like his methods some people dont and i am one of them , xxdk
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Hammer: the analogy is not that good. Humans have a very good reason to be frightened of spiders, a primeval fear which a lot of us still have. There are several very poisonous and very dangerous species of spiders in the world and as humans we are well advised to stay away from them. Claw clippers don't really come into the same category.

Dogs and humans are different species. Dogs live in the here and now, they have no concept of the past or the future, for starters. I didn't see the episode to which you refer, but your description sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. I see nothing wrong with a bit of aversion therapy coupled with some calm assertiveness to show the dog that he is just being a silly old sausage and not to make such a fuss.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hammer: the analogy is not that good. Humans have a very good reason to be frightened of spiders, a primeval fear which a lot of us still have. There are several very poisonous and very dangerous species of spiders in the world and as humans we are well advised to stay away from them. Claw clippers don't really come into the same category.

Dogs and humans are different species. Dogs live in the here and now, they have no concept of the past or the future, for starters. I didn't see the episode to which you refer, but your description sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. I see nothing wrong with a bit of aversion therapy coupled with some calm assertiveness to show the dog that he is just being a silly old sausage and not to make such a fuss.

AS for the here and now i think You are most wrong, not all dogs live for there next meal as some people would have you believe.
I asked a dear friend to take care of one of my girls this year for reasons i dont want to discuss, however she wasnt long bringing her home she wouldnt eat, she made herself ill pining for home, and it happens alot with dogs i look after they miss home they pine for there owners.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
I personally think Cesar Milan is a complete Pr!ck and would never use any of his training methods if you could call them that tbh, I think the only reason the dogs respoond to his training is out of fear JMO xxdk
Not gonna argu on my sis but if his methods work without being cruel then i think his training of dogs is ok, from i what ive seen of him he is good, and i wouldnt have a dog of mine bite my ankles if i could train them using his methods uncruel to stop doing it, then i would. Ive seen his methods work on bajalunas dog and it works good so if that makes him a little pr ick wel all beit
Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »