Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Until sometimes many years on when they `suddenly turned for no reason`.....
Yes I have a friend who has been rehabbing a dangerous GSD - she very nearly did put him to sleep as he was just not safe but using positive methods he's come around and is now a member of the family. Using other methods, he'd be dead and she'd be injured for sure

Now, a BSD will come back at you - but sometimes in some hands they can suffer more because of their lack of acceptance of this "discipline"

Another story told by the trainer person - a JRT who was aggressive to everything living! Bit his owner, other animals, etc.

The first thing was that the trainer removed his prong collar (big clue as to why he was biting his owner who kept on grabbbin him by it whilst the trainer was in the home ) and then basically took him home.

She used classical conditioning and only fed him when other animals and dogs and humans were near. Result; in jsut a few months (think it was 3) this aggressive JRt was rehomed with, of all things, another JRT!!!

Beforehand, a police dog handler (they aren't all bad but this one had no clue really) had tried to calm the dog but basically treated him as dominant and jerked him on his prong collar!!

Sorry am giggling again! I am finding some of the things people do very ludicrous today!!

Wys
x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

Sorry am giggling again! I am finding some of the things people do very ludicrous today!!

Wys
x
In that case, at risk of pushing you over the edge so you needing to reach for the tenna ladys :smt077 Willow would like to offer you his personal input of what he thinks of negative methods ....

Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
As I said in my previous post all have turned out happy dogs and not at all fearful. I do not BEAT my dogs. I tap them there is a difference you know.
I'm sure no-one's said you beat your dogs :smt001 I've seen many dogs who are "tapped" who are not scared dogs Truth is it can make some hand shy though.

Mybest friend used to very occasionally smack her dog but she is still my best friend and besides, I "got" to her in the end :smt002

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:54 PM

:smt005 :smt005 :smt043 nice one Willow
hannah92
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:55 PM
well... i am suprised by the reactions of this post, i am NOT troll, and he is not 6 months i got him in november and he is 1yr old next month! and when i say breed him in the future i mean the future! which means sometime next year after his 2nd birthday!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Willow you are so funny.

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Haven't read all the posts, but have to say that I feel for 99% of us, smacking a dog is usually reactionary - it is done out of frustration or ignorance, by people who don't know (or don't want to use) any other way to rectify the problem or situation, or just want to lash out in the most basic of human motor responses.

I think that is often very true, Azz.

I used to smack dogs when I was a teenager and it was because I didn't know what else to do. I'd smack a dog for pulling, for instance

I really smacked very hard a dog I walked who killed a cat whilst under my care - she was a whippet X and I smacked her not with my hand but belted her with the lead twice

Now I know the answer is in training!

To my mind a dog is not "naughty" if it's trained as it can't be - if it does something the owner isn't keenon, then it's simply not trained to an advanced enough level.

Maybe that's a bit simple but it sounds good to me at the moment

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by hannah92 View Post
well... i am suprised by the reactions of this post, i am NOT troll, and he is not 6 months i got him in november and he is 1yr old next month! and when i say breed him in the future i mean the future! which means sometime next year after his 2nd birthday!

I don't think you are a troll Hannah I usually have a very good instinct for those and I'm pretty certain you aren't one :smt001

Wys
x
hannah92
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2007, 06:09 PM
i think that you all need to remember what i first said, it was my mum who smacked the dog NOT me, i would never hit a dog, and second of all, it was after my pup growled at me that my nephew got to him, and im sure that all people who have been round children well... 3 yr olds know that you cant watch a child 24/7 as well as having to look after a 4 and 9 year old aswell!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Do you mind me asking how old you are Hannah and I don't think you are a troll either, you can't possibly look like this

Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »