Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Am I right in thinking that you believe we should all be striving to think like a dog? Do you propose the same for those who own rabbits/gerbils/cats/hamsters/fish?
Do you know how many rabbits are in rescue because people bought them as a cuddly toy for their child not realising that rabbits are originally preyed on by predators and often don't like being handled in that manner (some, with gentle introduction do)??

Gerbils - yes, which is why any gerbil owner I've ever met will say try not to grab them from above because that's what a predator would do and would terrify them and as a result, more and more gerbil 'tanks' (I don't know the proper terminology) are being designed with side doors.

Cats - of course, you can get a nasty scratch from a cat who feels threatened - however, the representative I spoke to at the cats shelter did inform me that their behaviour is so subtle compared to canine behaviour etc. that most owners don't need to understand their psychology to do things right.

Hamsters - I don't know all that much about hamsters but yes, most people I know who have hamsters try to understand how they think for example with their nocturnal tendancies, the habitat they provide them with, etc.

Fish - Well as we don't tend to bond that much with fish or spend quality time with them, I'm pretty sure they tend to get on with it themselves...

The animals you've mentioned are rarely trained by their owners - but those that do train will try to understand how their animal learns, which is what I believe all dog owners should be doing (afterall we're supposed to be the intelligent species) to make life easier for themselves and their dogs. I can't imagine the confusion some dogs go through with owners who don't put the time in to understand how their pet learns.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I'm no behaviourist I'm a dog trainer & I have never hit my dogs as a "punishment"what exactly does it achieve ? Could not understand it 50 years ago when I was saving up for my first GSD & I don't understand it now !

It would appear I'm the odd person out amougst GSD people on this thread in not resorting to physically punishing dogs for my mistake or poor training
It's funny you should say that, I know three people with GSDs all of whom have been hit in training (and don't know that many more who have dogs of other breeds that were hit).

When I questioned the smacking of one GSD, I was told 'it's ok - she's a GSD it's how you train GSDs'
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:16 PM
For some reason I feel incredibly giggly so apologies if this post doesnt make sense but,

I was spending some time with a behaviourist/trainer (emphasis on trainer really as she's done really well in WTs and obedience and ..etc)
She told me of this golden retriever who had out of the blue attacked a passer by on the pavement.
Obviously his family were very upset and frightened their cherished pet was turning aggressive.

After a case history and lots of jigsaw putting things together, it was realised that the dog's original owner used to punish him with a rolled up newspaper. Guess why the dog attacked this passer years later? Yep, because he carried a rolled up newspaper.

The dog was not old enough to defend itself in the first home, and the second home had never punished him in that way. But the long memory deep in that dog caused him to attack someone because in his past, someone had thought it was OK to use a rolled up newspaper

Of course often you don't get that kind of reaction but it can and does happen. This dog would pass people with newpapers that were not rolled up and had done for years.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
It's funny you should say that, I know three people with GSDs all of whom have been hit in training (and don't know that many more who have dogs of other breeds that were hit).

When I questioned the smacking of one GSD, I was told 'it's ok - she's a GSD it's how you train GSDs'
Doesn't surprise me Lottie - usually it's because the dogs are being "dominant" you know

GSDs dont often get back at their owners - they just take it.

Wys
x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Agree. I find too that often those who use punishment have "middle of the road dogs" in the sense that those dogs are not very sensitive and not very strong minded.

I'd love to see people try to smack a seriously aggressive dog who could floor them and see if they still like the idea then

I'd think they might do a quick "rethink"

Wys
x

I know what the outcome would have been if punishment methods were used on my [ rescue ] Willow - a hospital trip for a lot of stitches on whoever tried it and most likely a dead dog for defending himself.
The reason he became severely fear aggressive in the first place was because he was hit [ frequently ] as a puppy for not doing as he was told...
The reason he is a big soft baby with me is because I let him guide me to what he needed from me to be able to trust me. One smack from me and that would have been game over, no chance of redemption for me in his eyes, guaranteed.

Considering I have rescues who are *ex* biters who would, [ to put it metaphorically ], chew off their own legs rather than bite me, and that was achieved using positive reinforcement only, well thats good enough for me, I live with the results every day
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Yep, I'm regularly told that Takara is on a secret mission to take over my household

The story of the Golden doesn't surprise me, as I said in a previous post, my dad thought it was a good idea to hit Takara over her nose when she was naughty and used to grab and twist her bottom jaw when she went to bite (mouth) him. Obviously I was furious and just really wish he'd moved out sooner to be honest!

However I'm now having to work on rewarding her for allowing people to put their hands near her. If someone goes to touch the top of her head she instantly puts her mouth in the way and can be incredibly hand shy
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:26 PM
In my particular case I have owned Labradors, Golden Retrievers, x breeds and GSDs. As I said in my previous post all have turned out happy dogs and not at all fearful. I do not BEAT my dogs. I tap them there is a difference you know. I am sure many of the dogs that have issues may have had more than a tap. As I said it works well for me. Each to their own I say. But don't try and put people down because they have a different way of training. Whatever you have found works for you then fine do it.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

GSDs dont often get back at their owners - they just take it.

Wys
x
Until sometimes many years on when they `suddenly turned for no reason`.....
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

However I'm not having to work on rewarding her for allowing people to put their hands near her. If someone goes to touch the top of her head she instantly puts her mouth in the way and can be incredibly hand shy

You'll get there Lottie

IMHO you have the makings of a really good dog trainer and owner ...

Wys
x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 05:33 PM
LOL Thanks Wys

It means a lot... (btw, that was supposed to say I'm now having to work on rewarding her)
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »