Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by silhouette View Post
I am still waiting for someone to point out where I said the child should have been shown the sheep or been allowed to watch it die?
I would have thought people who often use forums would get that things can be misunderstood and ask what is actually meant before getting all upset over what they thought was said.
You might still not agree that is fine.
At least you will know what it is you are actually disagreeing with.
Am I asking to much of some people here?
Maybe?
Never mind.
Carry on.

Alex

Looked through them all and can't find it either
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
No you didn't say it I think the OP is seeing attacks where there are just people who understand dogs are dogs sometimes and are not actually attacking her.
Nobody said it Julie - and I could not see any of the flaming that the OP said was going on either.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post

Yes I think the children who hunt do grow into uncaring killers seeing as they tend to hunt as adults and I view hunting as a completely revolting, sickening, selfish practise.

Surprising that a vegan would appear to support it as the whole point of veganism is eradicating exploitation and suffering?!?!
Going back to the early 90s I was the secretary for a RSPCA branch, I received a letter from the HQ one day ordering me to sign a paper that said that rabbits, along with vermin, could be omitted from the animals hunted and killed in the new law going through Parliament. Me being bloody minded ask why rabbits and vermin were going to be exempt.

At first they said it didn't matter, sign it. I refused until I knew why, eventually, approximately 2 months later I was told that farmers wouldn't back it if rabbits and vermin were included. Thankfully by that time it was too late for me to sign it but I wouldn't have anyway.

I hunted as a child and many adults who are now working in rescues and trying to make life better for animals did. I never saw any animal killed when I went hunting, they usually got away, it isn't the killing that people want to hunt, it is the chase. Foxes and hares are very crafty, I once saw a hare that was being hunted going through the horses legs, not one of the people there told the hunt staff and the hare escaped.

The only people who hunt now are those lamping, they are after rabbits which is exempt from the law.

Originally Posted by IceCody View Post
But I am frankly shocked at some of the responses here. Some of you talk about the dog killing a sheep like itīs a normal thing and talk about them being predadors.
Yet you also say that a dog is not a wild animal and therefor does not go by pack instinct.

This is bullshit in my opinion. A german shepherd is bred to guard livestock, including sheep. If it was a normal thing for him to kill a sheep, the german shepherd would not exist today. They are bred to be left unattended with the sheep WITHOUT harming it.
And so are a lot of other breeds.
We are not talking about wippets or huskies. These are Sheepdogs.
Collies are still used to herd sheep, they are taught from an early age to herd, what you don't hear about is the amount of Collies that don't make the grade as sheepdogs, they attack the sheep and will worry them if given the chance so why should GSDs be any different? They are not, just because they are a GSD doesn't mean they won't attack sheep, many do. Like Collies they have to be trained to do their job.

Originally Posted by IceCody View Post
If I had a dog that would, out of nowhere kill another animal I would wonder if I could trust him again.
Dogs are hunters, we have bred dogs to do certain jobs because of their hunting instincts, if you watch Collies working you can see the hunting moves in the herding. Survival is the priority of any animal, in order to survive dogs hunt, their instincts never leave them. I was once talking to someone who runs a dog rescue, she had 2 Chihuahuas in, these were lovely dogs but they escaped the run they were put in and were chasing sheep. The more the sheep run the better they liked the chase.
silhouette
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
No you didn't say it I think the OP is seeing attacks where there are just people who understand dogs are dogs sometimes and are not actually attacking her.
In fairness the OP was not the first one to insinuate that was what I meant.
I think that they had seen that was what someone else had thought believed it was true and went with it.
Just incase some people are still not sure I meant talking about the concept of death and predation that is it.
I do not mind if people disagree.
I do not actually mind if some people think that their children can handle the sight of it either.
But it was not what I was saying.

Alex
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Whoah - surely this isn't the place to degenerate into personal swipes at one another? There's advice and debate but childish bun fighting surely cannot be allowed on a site where so many experienced and well meaning folk are trying to give advice to people in distress as the OP clearly was - she had witnessed her dogs KILL yes KILL another pet before her very eyes.

Do none of you have a heart -is it more important to be "right" than kind? If it is then I'm sorry for you.
Hi Baxter,I know its an emotive subject,but you are right,when I answered with my post,about the lady whose ridgrback had an incident with rabbits,months later she was still hurting.Sue the dog trainer took the dog into her classes with mainly young dogs,to give this lady some more confidence and in the hope maybe of getting her to forgive and forget,but we are all trying as we dont want her to rehome or PTS,but she is finding it very difficult to trust the dog and herself.She lost her partner last year so her emotions are raw,we in this class are giving her time,and we just listen,because she does tend to repeat and live through it again and again,we are all trying to give her hope that her dog is the same dog that she took out on that day,and even though it may have been involved,it doesnt mean that this dog has turned into a beast,it is still her loving companion of eight years,and we are hoping she will come round.Gemini54
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Can a dog really understand just why he is in the dog house after a length of time? I always understood that only an immediate reaction can be connected to a misdeed. No wonder he is so unhappy!
Hi That is what has upset me,as the lady just cant get past what her dog has done,and rejects him every day.We are all hoping that she will soon see that her dog is the same one she has shared her life with for eight years.Gemini54
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by silhouette View Post
In fairness the OP was not the first one to insinuate that was what I meant.
I think that they had seen that was what someone else had thought believed it was true and went with it.
Just incase some people are still not sure I meant talking about the concept of death and predation that is it.
I do not mind if people disagree.
I do not actually mind if some people think that their children can handle the sight of it either.
But it was not what I was saying.

Alex
Hi The OP did make a referance in post no.10,but feel it may have been taken out of context.One thing I am not happy about,in all the posts it has beenall about the OP feelings,and all that negativity is going to eventually fall onto the dogs.I have seen for myself how bad it is for a dog, much loved pet and companion to withdraw from it and treat it like an outcast,even now when the owner is not sure of their dogs level of involvement,there is a famous legend,about a much loved dog put to death,and then it was found that it wasnt the dog.You can't go back,once you make a decision,can the OP get over it and give the dog the benefit of doubt rather then judge it as guilty,no one actually did see the event,it could have been another critter in the barn,who knows.Its happened its sad but going to make a decision on something you didnt witness its going to make matters much worse for all involved,and the child will always remember that a much loved dog disappeared and will make its own mind up as it grows up that mummy and daddy killed my dog,the event leading up to why will be lost and only the one fact will haunt that child.Gemini54
baranduin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2013, 09:48 AM
What to do next?
That is what you asked. First rehome the sheep.They are not really pets especially not for a 4 year old. That takes it out of danger. If the sheep is a female it can go into a breeding flock if not it will end up in the abattoire. Get the 4 year old a toy-- dinosaur or something to play with.
Secondly, your dogs will never be safe around sheep. you need to have them in a safe place or supervised all the time.
I speak as a sheep keeper and the owner of a dog which is never to be trusted round small furry things.
Louise
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Gemini

It was awful when my dog behaved in a way that I wouldn't dream of behaving. My boy is quite reactive, he doesn't give any warning and can be very nasty when he loses his cool. I'm on to him now and notice the tiny tiny tiny telltale symptoms but I can tell you in the beginning when it used to happen it used to reduce me to tears and I found it really hard to trust him. I still don't trust him completely but know that it's up to me to monitor the situation really carefully and make sure I keep us both out of trouble!

When you have rescue dogs, such as I have, you rescue them with all their baggage as well.

Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Baxter,I know its an emotive subject,but you are right,when I answered with my post,about the lady whose ridgrback had an incident with rabbits,months later she was still hurting.Sue the dog trainer took the dog into her classes with mainly young dogs,to give this lady some more confidence and in the hope maybe of getting her to forgive and forget,but we are all trying as we dont want her to rehome or PTS,but she is finding it very difficult to trust the dog and herself.She lost her partner last year so her emotions are raw,we in this class are giving her time,and we just listen,because she does tend to repeat and live through it again and again,we are all trying to give her hope that her dog is the same dog that she took out on that day,and even though it may have been involved,it doesnt mean that this dog has turned into a beast,it is still her loving companion of eight years,and we are hoping she will come round.Gemini54
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by baranduin View Post
What to do next?
That is what you asked. First rehome the sheep.They are not really pets especially not for a 4 year old. That takes it out of danger. If the sheep is a female it can go into a breeding flock if not it will end up in the abattoire. Get the 4 year old a toy-- dinosaur or something to play with.
Secondly, your dogs will never be safe around sheep. you need to have them in a safe place or supervised all the time.
I speak as a sheep keeper and the owner of a dog which is never to be trusted round small furry things.
Louise
My point exactly I have never met anyone who has bought a ewe as a pet, I now people who have acquired them as orphans & not been able to let them go back into the flock(especially males lambs)when they will be destined for meat production.

Yesterday, while they were out they chased and mauled one of our pet sheep They went around the back of the house as I walked around the front - something that happens every single day, they were out of my sight for less than 2mins and when I reached the yard gate I found them mauling the sheep
The OP didn't witness the chase & start of the attack so cannot apportion blame to anyone dog.

They haven't been back since their last post so possibly time to put this thread to bed
Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »