View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Not sure what the vet was thinking TBH - Would have been good to know all that in advance.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I can sort of see where the vet might have been coming from and I do like that he wouldn't just automatically put a healthy dog down without exploring alternatives (though I don't necessarily agree with how he went about it). The vet may not have believed the account of the previous owner; when I helped out in rescue, all sorts of stories accompanied the dogs handed in and in the vast majority of cases, the reality didn't match with these at all. Collies in particular get a bad rap as herding/nipping is often referred to as an attack. I suspect the vet thought that was the case here, though the OP has since obviously found out that it is a lot more than this.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 03:31 PM
So let's palm the dog off on a customer, not give her all the details and see what happens?

If you knew your dog was likely to nail the vet when having his ears examined I imagine the vet would like to be informed.

Not saying it's wrong to give the dog a chance but a bit of communication,
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 03:34 PM
What a sad situation for all concerned

I would still urge you to ring Barbara Sykes and just tell her Barney's story. She MAY be able to take him in and help him. She is extremely collie experienced and also aggression experienced.

Her phone number is 01274 564163.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Well it turned out the vet hadn't actually met him. The vet nurse had met him briefly but Barney is very sweet and submissive when he meets people.

So, the vet that spoke to us was passing on info third hand. The owners then filled in some of the gaps and offered to email me a detailed report. I did not get that but now have a print out of her original email.

Barney had anxiety issues from being an 8 week old puppy and was aggressive around food from that age too.

He has bitten family members just by being startled when they have entered the room.

There is lots of info there and repeated reports of biting despite the owner doing lots of trust exercises. She managed to get some trust but he could still be unpredictable towards her. One minute coming up for a stroke and then tensing and snapping suddenly. Most of his issues have been managed rather than resolved. eg use of a crate to rest and eat.

I have spoken to someone at a border collie rescue that did not have any advice except to agree he is dangerous and possibly has neurological issues that can not be resolved. She has offered to speak with the vet if they have any doubts about pts.

Have rung Barbara Sykes and left a message. Will see what she has to say. After that options have been exhausted.

I am just giving Barney the benefit of the doubt in case there is someone out there that thinks they can help him whilst knowing the full story.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 05:38 PM
No luck. Vet booked for tomorrow.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I am sorry but not surprised
Sometimes it is the right thing to do - you have given him every chance but you cant help them all
Bless you for trying
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 06:13 PM
So sorry. Can you ask that they sedate him first, it will cost a bit more but might be better for everyones emotional levels.

Will be thinking of you.

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I'm so sorry
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Aww how sad for you all

Did you get to speak with Barbara?

I will think of you and Barney tomorrow. I think a sedation first is definitely a good idea.

So sorry
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »