View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupples
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I think you should consult a trainer and try to give him obedience as well as behavioral training. He is one naughty dog!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I am so sorry. Obviously you have to protect yourself first
If you can get some help in asap - and the vet who passed him onto you should help you with at least a referal

I know you will feel horrible just now, but YOU havent failed him, he was failed before he came to you
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Wendy, you are an utter saint for taking Barney on and I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. I know you are doing everything you can. But my honest gut feeling (and I do not say this lightly) is that Barney is dangerous you know dogs, you can read their body language, just he is unpredicatable enough and fast enough to catch you out five times. Plus its not a single warning snap, he's bitten multiple times. I don't think he can be safely rehomed, he may improve but I saw just the other day with Cain and Roger Mugford how quickly these types of dogs can revert back to old behaviours in an instant when the feel threatened, even if they haven't displayed that sort of behaviour for years So the only logical choice is to find another experienced person to have him or to keep him with you. While I can handle Cain's problems it's only because they are limited to walks and strangers. I couldn't live with a dog in my house who wanted to bite me. And I think if Cain had bitten me five time, despite how sweet he can be, despite how much hard work I had put in, despite how heartbreaking it would be...it would be a one way trip to the vets it's not fair on anyone and I question how much a dog that stressed is enjoying life ...

I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, no one will doubt that you didn't do everything you could. Look after yourself, I hope you can find an answer x
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks all. Have been and spoken to the vet. Got a detailed history on Barney and it is not looking good for him.

Expert advice has been sought for Barney on previous occasions and he has been unpredictable with the person he trusts the most. In fairness to his previous owners they had taken him to the vets to be pts but it is not something our vet takes lightly and he wanted to give him a chance in an adult only environment.

In all honesty, I think we were his last and final hope.

I agree with those that have indicated they consider him dangerous. I cannot live with a dog so unpredictable and I don't think it is any life for Barney either.

I am shedding some tears for Barney as I have become fond of him in a bizarre way.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
Thanks all. Have been and spoken to the vet. Got a detailed history on Barney and it is not looking good for him.

Expert advice has been sought for Barney on previous occasions and he has been unpredictable with the person he trusts the most. In fairness to his previous owners they had taken him to the vets to be pts but it is not something our vet takes lightly and he wanted to give him a chance in an adult only environment.

I agree with those that have indicated they consider him dangerous. I cannot live with a dog so unpredictable and I don't think it is any life for Barney either.

I am shedding some tears for Barney as I have become fond of him in a bizarre way.
Im so sorry, but you have given him a chance and your a star for doing that xxxxxx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 01:19 PM

I am so sorry, and of course you are upset
The vet was very norty not telling you this in the first place
Poor Barney, but you cant help them all, and as you say living so stressed must be horrible for him as well
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Is it not worth contacting one of the people mentioned in this post who work with BC and have a lot of experience probably in this situation.

Surely a phone call to see if they feel they can do anything with him is worth a shot?
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Failing to give you a detailed history at the outset is IMHO outrageous and I would say that your Vet has put you in harms way as a result. What was their reaction to the fact that you have received multiple bites?

From what has been said I think that you have made the decision and, hard as it might be, it is the responsible one.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Just wanted to say, I agree with most of the posts on here. You've done your best and have given Barney a chance and you should absolutely not feel bad about coming to a measured and responsible decision about his future.

He doesn't sound like a dog that it is safe to rehome to me and you are putting yourself at risk keeping him. Just remember, you didn't do the damage: you did your very best to try to undo it, but some dogs are just not capable of leading safe and happy lives.

You sound like a very sensible person and I am sure you will do the right thing by him.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Celts brother began to bite unpredictably, his owner didn't tell me and I organised for him to go to my friend who has his sister (her daughter has another brother). He was totally unpredictable and bit several times while he was with her. I spent a week there as well and also got fond of him. She is very experienced collie owner and rehabber.

In the end she made the decision to pts, it was very hard and she still hurts to the extent that she doesn't want to see photos of him----it was 5 + years ago now.

You will be doing the right thing and you gave him a chance, that doesn't mean it won't hurt a lot.

Thoughts

rune
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »