View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:23 PM
You don't use any pressure to hurt him, you just show that you are a boss and this unexpected behavior.This method was used from my previous dog behaviorist.

Some people shout, or punish them in a very bad physical way which is a total NO for me, and in most cases doesn't work as it can put even more aggression!

If he would be a puppy then also another method used by most dog behaviorist is to take them from the back like the dog mummy does to correct their behavior.

Have a look over here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXMyA...eature=related
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:25 PM
I really don't intend to. Tbh I dunno why you'd want to do that to your dog! There are nicer ways of being in control and I think I've had a lot of them suggested. If I were a dog and my owner did that I wouldn't trust them. This is not what I want from my relationship with my dog. I want 2 way trust.
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I don't think you had a good behaviourist. You may think you're in control of your dog but your dog will be living in fear and one day may react to you! Then who's fault will it be?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:34 PM
There is no way I would force my dog onto his back, sit on him and grab him around the throat! Talk about an excellent way to destroy the relationship and get bitten. And/or cause the dog to associate whatever's around at the time with his human behaving extremely aggressively towards him!

The problems the OP is having are well able to be sorted without resorting to such behaviour. The dog sounds to me like a typical under trained, under stimulated adolescent. My own Lab was very much like him when he came to me and I haven't needed to resort to attacking him to get results.
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by cclpegs View Post
I don't think you had a good behaviourist. You may think you're in control of your dog but your dog will be living in fear and one day may react to you! Then who's fault will it be?
My dog doesn't live in fear my dog respects me and I respect him! Since he did it never happen again, I have no problems with his behavior because he knows I am his pack leader. Read about dog dominance over the humans, there are many books written about it. Once your read about you will understand what it means.

"If you don't let your dog know your the dominate person in the pack your dog will always challenge you. Dog has different mentality from us humans and you have to act and speak dog language"
, otherwise your relationship with your dog will be what you have now.
I suggest you watch one of the best dog behaviorist videos Cesar's Dog Training! You will get many tips and he uses this method as well! Good luck
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I do like That my problems have been described as normal! It was. The story about your walk that just made me get
Up and get out with him. If you could so could I!
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:37 PM
See I don't really like his methods tbh. I had a feeling you'd quote him at some point.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm so glad that the OP is sensible enough to see that this method is a bad idea. Thank goodness OP, all you need is a clicker, some treats and consistency and I'm sure you'll be able to turn your lovely lab around. It's just a bouncy teenager with typical problems which can be resolved with basic reward based training.
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'm so glad that the OP is sensible enough to see that this method is a bad idea. Thank goodness OP, all you need is a clicker, some treats and consistency and I'm sure you'll be able to turn your lovely lab around. It's just a bouncy teenager with typical problems which can be resolved with basic reward based training.
Thanks. Got my clicker and my treats and that's what we did on our walk. Wasn't pleasant like I hope it will be in yrs to come but there were 'momenrs' where I saw him
Walk calmly at my pace. I'll just aim to lengthen those
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Narka View Post
My dog doesn't live in fear my dog respects me and I respect him! Since he did it never happen again, I have no problems with his behavior because he knows I am his pack leader. Read about dog dominance over the humans, there are many books written about it. Once your read about you will understand what it means.

"If you don't let your dog know your the dominate person in the pack your dog will always challenge you. Dog has different mentality from us humans and you have to act and speak dog language", otherwise your relationship with your dog will be what you have now.
I suggest you watch one of the best dog behaviorist videos Cesar's Dog Training! You will get many tips and he uses this method as well! Good luck
Oh Lordy, Lordy! I think it's time I grabbed myself a late supper and retired for the evening, otherwise this could be a late night!
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »