Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Clearly you have never had anything unexpected happen in your life then! Remind me to make sure my life does not change in any way whatsoever for the next ten years........
Hahaha - oh yes, I have! On more than once occasion, too. BUT, my dogs come first and their needs come before mine.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Committed, to me anyway, is not even considering the possiblity of rehoming so as the OP can have a child.

Just as well I am happy to stand alone in my opinons!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
So you would keep a dog that might potentially harm your child?
I would not have a baby if I thought the dog I had might harm it.

And ANY dog COULD potentially harm a child. Or any person for that matter.

As I said previously, my dogs needs come before mine.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I am not having a go at Akitas, but there is no guarantee that a dog will like children just because it is an Akita, never mind crosses which can potentially be less predictable than pure breeds, depending which traits, or combination of traits, they take from which breed.

Eight year old girl needs 175 stitches after bitten by Akita

9 year old boy needs plastic surgery after being mauled by Akita

3 yr old girl scarred for life by Akita

7 year old boy savaged by Akita

or if you prefer a more scientific source (my bold):

Opinions of veterinarians regarding aggression in different breeds of dogs
New Zealand Veterinary Journal
Volume 44, Issue 4, 01 August 1996, Pages 138 - 141
Author: K. J. Stafforda

Abstract
Aggression in 108 dog breeds and six crosses was ranked by 185 members of the Companion Animal Society of the New Zealand Veterinary Association. The Rottweiler and German Shepherd were categorised as extremely aggressive and the Akita, Basengi, Chihuahua (long-coated and short-coated), Chow Chow, Cocker Spaniel, Shar pei and Welsh Corgi (Cardigan and Pembroke) were classified as very aggressive.

GSDs are reactive, territorial, but usually highly signalling (i.e.deter them be it livestock or humans, don't need to kill them!) guarding dogs.

Akitas are determined bear hunting, fighting dogs (I know not all the Akita people will accept that part) and as such are not highly signalling, especially in situations of potential aggression.

Anything bred to stand up to a bear is not bred to be easily deterred.

As a fighting breed not giving away too much gives you the advantage of surprise and lets you get close.

Hence you can end up with a big, strong, highly-reactive, potentially-aggressive, predatory, protective dog with very low (or none) warning signalling, as is the case with another difficult male GSDxAkita I know.

Even when a dog likes it's own children it may not like the child's young friends, or their parents and households with children tend to have a higher person traffic that most of those without.

In some cases dogs who are very protective of their own children are an increased risk to other people, including other children possibly playing with their child who trips and cries who are mis-read as a threat.

I think Moon'sMum is being very responsible to try to consider all this, and not to "try it and see" because what the neck do you do then if it all goes wrong and someone is badly injured?!!

Look at the photos of the injuries that can occur, these aren't just nips!

She has clearly worked very hard with Cain, and in that process she knows him far better than anyone else on here, particularly those of us who have not met him.

If she perceives a reason to be worried, despite her clear commitment and the enormous amount of love, time, effort, emotion and money she has put in, I am sure she has good basis for that.

It would be great if all problem dogs could be permanently turned round but some are destined to improve with great effort, not to resolve or ever be "cured", so the risk remains.

I have never wanted children so I would never be in MMs position, but I would be confused by someone who did want them who was prepared to take a risk like that with them, or their friends!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I would not have a baby if I thought the dog I had might harm it.

And ANY dog COULD potentially harm a child. Or any person for that matter.

As I said previously, my dogs needs come before mine.
But why would rehoming Cain specifically to my dog trainer not be meeting his needs? To be honest, my dog trainer could probably offer him a better home! The trainer has known Cain as long as I have, he walks him on a daily basis while I am at work, he trains him, he and Cain completely and utterly adore each other. Abandoning Cain in a shelter to random people is one thing....but I fail to see what I can offer Cain more than what my trainer potentially could Cain is just as bonded with him, he would have the trainer's wife home with him during the day instead of being alone and my trainer is vastly more experienced in difficult dogs than I am. A home with my trainer would be as good as with me, and in truth probably even better.....

Obviously, I intend to keep Cain but that doesn't mean that I am necessarily the best home for him....
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I am not having a go at Akitas, but there is no guarantee that a dog will like children just because it is an Akita, never mind crosses which can potentially be less predictable than pure breeds, depending which traits, or combination of traits, they take from which breed.

Eight year old girl needs 175 stitches after bitten by Akita

9 year old boy needs plastic surgery after being mauled by Akita

3 yr old girl scarred for life by Akita

7 year old boy savaged by Akita

or if you prefer a more scientific source (my bold):

Opinions of veterinarians regarding aggression in different breeds of dogs
New Zealand Veterinary Journal
Volume 44, Issue 4, 01 August 1996, Pages 138 - 141
Author: K. J. Stafforda

Abstract
Aggression in 108 dog breeds and six crosses was ranked by 185 members of the Companion Animal Society of the New Zealand Veterinary Association. The Rottweiler and German Shepherd were categorised as extremely aggressive and the Akita, Basengi, Chihuahua (long-coated and short-coated), Chow Chow, Cocker Spaniel, Shar pei and Welsh Corgi (Cardigan and Pembroke) were classified as very aggressive.

GSDs are reactive, territorial, but usually highly signalling (i.e.deter them be it livestock or humans, don't need to kill them!) guarding dogs.

Akitas are determined bear hunting, fighting dogs (I know not all the Akita people will accept that part) and as such are not highly signalling, especially in situations of potential aggression.

Anything bred to stand up to a bear is not bred to be easily deterred.

As a fighting breed not giving away too much gives you the advantage of surprise and lets you get close.

Hence you can end up with a big, strong, highly-reactive, potentially-aggressive, predatory, protective dog with very low (or none) warning signalling, as is the case with another difficult male GSDxAkita I know.

Even when a dog likes it's own children it may not like the child's young friends, or their parents and households with children tend to have a higher person traffic that most of those without.

In some cases dogs who are very protective of their own children are an increased risk to other people, including other children possibly playing with their child who trips and cries who are mis-read as a threat.

I think Moon'sMum is being very responsible to try to consider all this, and not to "try it and see" because what the neck do you do then if it all goes wrong and someone is badly injured?!!

Look at the photos of the injuries that can occur, these aren't just nips!

She has clearly worked very hard with Cain, and in that process she knows him far better than anyone else on here, particularly those of us who have not met him.

If she perceives a reason to be worried, despite her clear commitment and the enormous amount of love, time, effort, emotion and money she has put in, I am sure she has good basis for that.

It would be great if all problem dogs could be permanently turned round but some are destined to improve with great effort, not to resolve or ever be "cured", so the risk remains.
Thank you Tass, your post basically sums up my concerns.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
But why would rehoming Cain specifically to my dog trainer not be meeting his needs? To be honest, my dog trainer could probably offer him a better home! The trainer has known Cain as long as I have, he walks him on a daily basis while I am at work, he trains him, he and Cain completely and utterly adore each other. Abandoning Cain in a shelter to random people is one thing....but I fail to see what I can offer Cain more than what my trainer potentially could Cain is just as bonded with him, he would have the trainer's wife home with him during the day instead of being alone and my trainer is vastly more experienced in difficult dogs than I am. A home with my trainer would be as good as with me, and in truth probably even better.....
Amanda, Cain is your dog, your responsiblity - as all our dogs are our responsibility and nobdy elses. I don't doubt you are very committed to hm now - going by the various threads I've read over the years, he has a great life with you! Why don't you think that's good enough?

My dogs would probably be better off with in a home with a huge garden! BUT they are happy with me, I love them and I think the feeling is mutual, they have a great life with me and my family and we always do our best for them.

I understand that it's your decision, but you asked what would we do and I could not rehome my dogs (well, Molly) because I wanted a child that I thought she might harm. Molly deserves better than that. You asked and I've answered honestly. I won't apologse for anything I have said and I stand by every word.

I hope, should have a child, that you would at least give Cain a good chance to adapt. You never know, he might be great. Good luck.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I haven't spoken to my trainer specifically about his behaviour around children yet, we've always just avoided them to keep the public safe.

Azz, Cain has been seen by a number of dog trainers and behaviourists. Sadly it is not simply stroppy teen behaviour, he has aggression issues I've been working on him for over two years now and while he is vastly better, I truly believe there is a genetic element which can never be overcome. He'll be 3 in June.

A different trainer, who knows Cain well, says that he is one of the most demanding, difficult dogs that she has experiences and he is lucky to have me as any rescue would have put him to sleep for his behaviour. When I discussed children with her, her opinion was that she would never trust Cain around children and that he would be a liability to rehome and that if he was her dog, at that point of bringing children into the house, she would have him put to sleep I hope that puts some perspective on how serious his behaviour potentially is. I definitely not one of those people who ship the dog out just because they have a child, I'd love nothing more than to have my kids grow up with a dog, but I'm not stupid - much as I love Cain, I know he is a dangerous dog.... We only have so few incidents because he is heavily managed, but I can't imagine that working with a child in the house.
In that case it may be wise to follow the advice of professionals who have actually assessed him

If you were asking what I'd do? Then I would not rehome an animal that I had bonded with, least not unless I practically had no other choice. But it doesn't matter what I or anyone else would do really, only you can make the right choice for you and your family - especially as you have a greater understanding of it, being the one living in the situation.

Westie - I would have been a little kinder with my reply, I highly doubt this is an easy decision for Amanda, and I think she's having a hard enough time as it is.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
In that case it may be wise to follow the advice of professionals who have actually assessed him

If you were asking what I'd do? Then I would not rehome an animal that I had bonded with, least not unless I practically had no other choice. But it doesn't matter what I or anyone else would do really, only you can make the right choice for you and your family - especially as you have a greater understanding of it, being the one living in the situation.

Westie - I would have been a little kinder with my reply, I highly doubt this is an easy decision for Amanda, and I think she's having a hard enough time as it is.
I'm glad we aren't all the same then, Azz.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I'm glad we aren't all the same then, Azz.
And i'm glad folk aren't all like you...

I wasnt going to comment, just keep my opinions to myself but I really cant get over your replies. We all love our dogs, otherwise we wouldnt be on this forum but sometimes tough calls have to be made. We can never, ever say what we would do if we were in the same situation. We might like to think we know what we would do but life comes with no guarantees except one, and that is death.

And to judge Amanda and use the word 'disgusting' when it's blatantly obvious what a tough decision she is facing, especially after showing such devotion to Cain, is, quite frankly, disgusting (to coin a term).
Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »