View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-09-2011, 04:27 AM
I have not said "Max has a bad history". Juleze has said it.

I never knew I'll be asking for help with regard to Cute Max's indiscipline. He's a pure Lhasa Apso.
I got him when he was 6 weeks old (he's now 11 weeks old); he was so tiny then, and would bite when he was being played with. I had no problem with it, as his teeth were barely there.
Max drew my sister's blood
About 12 days back, he bit my little sister (Kemi's 14) who plays a lot with him, carries him a lot, and is very protective of him. It drew blood.
Now lay off me people. Juleze has said the puppy is a biter. Bit her sister. Her sister carries him a lot.

I did not say it. And I did not say the dog has a bad history.

I Did Not Say That.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 07:30 AM
When Lily was a puppy she was the size of an 8 week old kitten. Very tempting to carry her around everywhere and cuddle her all the time. I was advised to treat her like a big dog from the start. Would I allow the behaviour if she were the size of a doberman? She was bitey, but we would stand up and walk away if she did it. Redirect her to a toy and it did work.

I think you have to put more work in when they are young and then you can relax it when they get a bit older.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 07:37 AM
JULEZE:

Since you've asked for opinions: I would opt for bite elimination.

You might enjoy 'gentle' biting but someone else might not. Most kids probably won't. If you teach your dog that it's fine to bite 'gently' then he may well do this to someone else!

He should be learning that it is NEVER OK to bite - full stop.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
JULEZE:

I would urge you not to have your dog around babies or children until he has learned not to bite.

At this point, there is no guarantee that he won't and it would be horrendous if he nipped or bit a baby!

You also risk losing your dog, if that ever happens because I doubt that any parent would fail to make a formal complaint were a child to be hurt by your dog.

You and everyone that comes into contact with your dog need to be using the same method to teach him not to bite - and it must be consistent. Please, for your sake, a child's sake and your dog's sake, do NOT let your dog get close to children until a lot more work has gone into bite inhibition!
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
As a dog I would guess. If you wouldn't/couldn't do it to an 80kg dog or wouldn't find a behaviour acceptable in an 80kg dog then it shouldn't be done to/acceptable in an 8kg dog imo.
I think Tabitha and Sarah are spot on with what they say.
I believe you said that in the beginning it didn't hurt, his teeth were only small, so the consequences of what he was doing didn't seem to matter initially. He got away with it, carried on and things just got worse and more serious as nobody effectively taught him any different. As Mailka has said I think this problem does go back right to the start when you first had him and did not treat him like a dog. He was cute, was carried around and you allowed him to get away with being a bit of a brat. Little cute puppies and small grown-up dogs are often allowed to get away with behaviours that would not, or could not, be tolerated from a larger puppy. Just imagine a Rottie or a GSD being carried in someones arms and snapping and biting at people On a smaller scale it is exactly the same thing with a little dog, but you can't bundle a Rottie up and carry it out of the room easily when it kicks off. Have you thought that he might actually object to being carried around?
Maybe you are now at the stage where you need to ask a sympathetic professional to see you and your your dog to establish how to proceed for the future. Also, I think I would consider a muzzle for him when children are around, particulary if you think he is becoming jealous of children on your knee, which he now thinks is his place. I would keep him off your knees, the furniture and out of your arms and would keep him on the floor.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I have not said "Max has a bad history". Juleze has said it.

Now lay off me people. Juleze has said the puppy is a biter. Bit her sister. Her sister carries him a lot.

I did not say it. And I did not say the dog has a bad history.

I Did Not Say That.
(theres only one person having a tantrum on this thread or 'laying into anyone )
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 09:13 AM
I have to say (risk of getting shot ) I do remember answering the OP before on a much older post and I suggesting that he wasn't carried about, but the OP seemed to find it a ''confusing reply'' so I never bothered again.

I agree with all the members that have said ''you wouldn't want a large breed doing this so why allow a small breed too''

Having Mojo has taught me one thing... that we have people here at times and they seem to get upset when she is told No, Lie Down Sit etc., I think some people see her as being small and the Awwwwwwwww factor kicks in, but Mojo's teeth IMO are just as painful as the Border Collies.

I think that's whats most likely happened here with Max too, a small furry thing that is funny and playful, people have given mixed messages to, has developed into a cheeky chap which pushes boundaries due to the mixed messages he received when younger. Its easy I think to fall into the trap of carrying small dogs about and giving into them and I personally read the older posts of the OP just that way...sorry no offence intended, but I feel that's where the problems of today possibly come from.

Hope its gets sorted anyway but there has been some brilliant advice given IMO
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by juleze View Post
Hello Mini.

I think everyone not acting the same way might have also contributed, and I also have a part of the blame because if I also didn't let him get away with some bites (esp. whenever he's excited) probably things might have turned out differently.

I tried practising what I read on a recommended website (on the quoted thread) in which the writer advised on 'bite inhibition' rather than 'bite elimination'. I decided to adopt that method because I wanted him biting me gently, and it was working. He would bite my hand, and if it got hard, I'll say 'no bite' and he would reduce the bite. I always saw the way he held back from biting hard, but I became lax along the way.

Which do you think is best: inhibition or total elimination?
Thanks.

Julia
Julia the whole idea of teaching bite inhibition is to teach the puppy to gradually decrease the amount of pressure it applies until it doesn't apply any at all (which I am sure I explained in my original post) .
This way it learns that it must never sink its teeth into human skin, a very valuable lesson if say a dog has to undergo some painful treatment/accident where the normal reaction would be to bite down hard though pain or fear .
When teaching bite inhibition some people allow mouthing of hands during initiated play to continue, some don't (total elimination).

I note the original link I posted in the old thread has been removed, if you Google 'Teaching Bite Inhibition' I am sure you will find a number of versions including the original by Dr Dunbar.

See the parts of your post I have highlighted above, I think you have addressed the reason for the continuing problem youself in your post.

Teaching dogs correct behaviour is not something which should be taken lightly, one day it could save their lives.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
This we did with both our dogs - ahhhh! When even slightly mouthed. With one of them it worked immediately and the other one not at all. I think there are 2 reasons.

The dog that it worked with we adopted at 5m and prior to that he lived with many other puppies and therefore knew that yelp meant he was hurting us. The dog that it did not work with we had to adopt at 1m and he did not have a good enough bite inhibition and thought the yelp was part of the game. That leads me to the 2nd reason, the energy you have. When he mouthed me and I yelped I DID think it was kind of funny so when I yelped the dog thought I was playing and therefore took no notice. I then stopped playing with him. But when my 60yr mother was visiting and he mouthed her she did not think it was funny in the slightest and all she did was stop walking and say - what do you think you are doing that was sore! But her energy was such that the dog knew she was not messing about and he never did it again.

Maybe letting your dog play with some other dogs of the same age would help it understand that biting is not acceptable?

Exactly. Let it play with some other puppies.
Thank you.
I've been looking for someone with a puppy, but I haven't gotten anyone yet. The dogs around are not dogs I want max around as they are stray dogs.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
JULEZE:

Since you've asked for opinions: I would opt for bite elimination.

You might enjoy 'gentle' biting but someone else might not. Most kids probably won't. If you teach your dog that it's fine to bite 'gently' then he may well do this to someone else!

He should be learning that it is NEVER OK to bite - full stop.
Thanks for your opinion.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Julia the whole idea of teaching bite inhibition is to teach the puppy to gradually decrease the amount of pressure it applies until it doesn't apply any at all (which I am sure I explained in my original post) .
This way it learns that it must never sink its teeth into human skin, a very valuable lesson if say a dog has to undergo some painful treatment/accident where the normal reaction would be to bite down hard though pain or fear .
When teaching bite inhibition some people allow mouthing of hands during initiated play to continue, some don't (total elimination).

I note the original link I posted in the old thread has been removed, if you Google 'Teaching Bite Inhibition' I am sure you will find a number of versions including the original by Dr Dunbar.

See the parts of your post I have highlighted above, I think you have addressed the reason for the continuing problem youself in your post.

Teaching dogs correct behaviour is not something which should be taken lightly, one day it could save their lives.
I do appreciate your kindness. I've started being strict about it again...although I must confess that if we both lived alone, he would have dropped this habit a long time ago, as we weren't all singing from the same page. I'm looking at moving out with him, for a month, to prepare for my ACCA exam (I scored 49% in what was supposed to be my last papaer ), once I get back from my vacation.

I recall the step by step advice given on that link, and also copied it and sent to my mailbox, as well as my mom's at that time.
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »